The Book of Illusions The Book of Illusions discussion

The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay (new)

Kay Murphy This is my first Auster, and yes I would read more. Illusions are just that: grief, loss, love, movies, pass into the nothing of their essence. If you are action addicted, you won't care for this. It is meditative.

Matthew Fish I am a HUGE Auster fan.
I recommend, highly, that you read more of him.
I really think he is one of the most under-rated prose writers and story teller writing today... in my humble opinion...

Helen I'll second that Matthew! His Country of Last Things and Music of Chance should be on everyone's tbr list. Brilliant.

Matthew Fish I also loved "the art of hunger"...one of the best essay books ever written.2nd second and third I would say.. Rushdie's "cross this line" and Burroughs' "the adding machine... For contemporary writers.

Matthew Fish Btw Helen, we are now friends.
Not many people appreciate Paul Auster...no matter how many of his books I lend out..pass them out really, almost like religious pamphlets.lol

Matthew Fish I also love his essays, some of best in contemporary literature.

Matthew Fish In my humble opinion anyway.

Kevin Matthew,

I've read a few Auster novels in the past, and I have noticed that he's a particularly divisive writer, seemingly loved or loathed in equal measure. He even divides his more avid readers (not that I would call myself one). I note that you've given two stars to Timbuktu (to my 4) and 5 to The New York Trilogy (to my 2 - I loathed it, even though I finshed it ), see what I mean?. The only common ground being The Book of Illusions, where the written descriptions of the silent film alone got him my fourth star.
Got to say overall though I used to enjoy his work, I have grown weary of him as a novelist.( Not read any of his essays ).

message 9: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Delorenzis I've read "Illusions" and "Leviathan". I loved them both. The way he articulates on paper reminds me of the comedian Steven Wright. He explains everyday things in a monotone voice--very dark humor. He is following me on Twitter, which is cool. He's given me some positive feedback on a blog I began a year ago. He's currently living in Spain.

message 10: by Serge (last edited Dec 17, 2012 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Serge Mandeville I've read all of his books, and loved most of them. The ones I didn't, I absolutely hated. For me, its like that with him: all or nothing.

Oracle night is a great book, Timbuktu also very good. Brooklyn Follies very nice.

Of his last four,

Winter Journal and Invisible are very good. Scriptorium (verry disapointing) Sunset park was ok.

Sarah Here's a mild fellow full of respect for this hm-inevitably unique author. I was wondering if some of you know- is the winter diary available online for reading?

Serge Mandeville I really liked it. (Winter journal)

It's a second person narrative of his life as a writer. " You did this, you did that ". He finishes with his epiphany, how he found his voice, his style. Very nice.

Debbie Matthew wrote: "I am a HUGE Auster fan.
I recommend, highly, that you read more of him.
I really think he is one of the most under-rated prose writers and story teller writing today... in my humble opinion..."

This was my first Auster as well and you are correct! He is a most amazing writer and obviously under-rated because I'd never heard of him until running across this book in my local book store and choosing it out of pure curiosity. I was slightly disappointed in the turn at the end though. Do you recommend another of his?

message 14: by Yana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yana Must also share being a BIG Auster fan! Recently finished "Sunset Park". The first book that attracted me to his writing was New York Trilogy over 15 years ago! Brilliant storyteller! Looking forward to his new creations!

Michael Sussman Wasn't wild about this one. I must say that I've never enjoyed any of Auster's novels as much as the New York Trilogy. He said himself in an interview that he keeps rewriting the same novel.