Mount TBR 2013 Reading Challenge discussion

Level 2: Mount Blanc (24 Books) > Sera's 2013 Mount Blanc Challenge

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sera (last edited Jan 09, 2014 09:57AM) (new)

Sera We'll start with 24 and see how it goes from there.

1.Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel
2.Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
3.The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba
4.The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
5.Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay
6.Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
7.As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
8.The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
9.Carry the One by Carol Anshaw
10.Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
11.Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
12.Villette by Charlotte Bronte
13.Paradise Lost by Kate Brian
14.Suspicion by Kate Brian
15.Methland: The Death and Life of an American Small Town by Nick Reding
16.A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin
17.Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith
18.Beautiful Disaster by Kate Brian
19.The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
20.House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
21.Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver
22.Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman
23.Top of the Class: How Asian Parents Raise High Achievers--and How You Can Too by Soo and Jane Kim
24.The White Guard by Viktor Nabokov

message 2: by Sera (new)

Sera Similar to last year, I will end January with having read no books from my TBR thus far. I am giving the library a good workout though :)

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Will (Inver) | 38 comments Can you not just add the library book to books read for the challenge Sera.

message 4: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) @Diane The challenge is to reduce our personal pile of books to be read so library books don't count.

@Sera I feel for you. I started the year by finishing a book I had borrowed from someone. Then I had to finish a library book in order to return it. And only when I was 40 pages into my 3rd book did I remember it was one I had borrowed from my mother so that one doesn't count either!!

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Will (Inver) | 38 comments ah yes I see, of course it is

message 6: by Sera (new)

Sera Finally on the board!

message 7: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Sera wrote: "Similar to last year, I will end January with having read no books from my TBR thus far. I am giving the library a good workout though :)"

I hear you. Last year I made a list and felt more accountable and it was a good buffer to my whims. Maybe I will do that this weekend. It also allows for potential buddy-reads :)

message 8: by Sera (new)

Sera I have a list for the Book Addicts group. I've been doing the 12+2 challenge for a number of years, and I've never finished it (sigh). I'm determined to do it this year, which will help me to get to the half-way point of my challenge here, too.

Buddy reads - yay! Do you still want to do The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time at some point? I'm committed for awhile and thinking maybe April 1? Since it is short, maybe we could do back to back books if we can find something that works?

message 9: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Sounds great! April will work. I am not doing so great with my around the world reads. Stuck in the US :)

message 10: by Sera (new)

Sera Ok, good. I'll follow-up with you then.

I am doing great with around the world, but not so well with Mt. TBR. I am hoping to change that starting in the Spring.

message 11: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) I misunderstood the Around the World challenge- back to the drawing board :) Silly me.

message 12: by Sera (new)

Sera It's ok - I misunderstood a part of it, too, so I won't make it this year. I am still proud of my efforts so far, which will still count for next year :). Plus, I like reading books from places outside of the US. It's a personal challenge that I had set for myself anyway. Do you think that you will still be able to make something work?

message 13: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Definitely! Back on track... I too like reading about other parts of the world. I always joke that I am part gypsy. Although I admit to having a particular fondness for the city of London- such a great setting and so many great books to read centered there.

message 14: by Sera (new)

Sera MichelleCH wrote: "Definitely! Back on track... I too like reading about other parts of the world. I always joke that I am part gypsy. Although I admit to having a particular fondness for the city of London- such a g..."

I have developed a deep fondness for the Victorians over the last few years.