The Great Gatsby The Great Gatsby discussion

Other Fitzgerald novels?

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva Hi everyone,
I was just wondering how many folks have read F. Scott Fitzgerald's other novels. I love "The Great Gatsby" for its beauty/tragedy/decadence and have tried reading "The Beautiful and the Damned" but never finished. I just couldn't get into it. Do you think the rest of Fitzgerald's books are worth reading?

Nicole Eva wrote: "Hi everyone,
I was just wondering how many folks have read F. Scott Fitzgerald's other novels. I love "The Great Gatsby" for its beauty/tragedy/decadence and have tried reading "The Beautiful and t..."

tender is the night is one of the greatest books ever

Jools I have read all of Fitzgeralds works and love them all. I have to say The Great Gatsby is No.1 for me and my favourite book of all time. Have you tried Tender is the Night and the Beautiful and the Damed?

Give Tender is the Night a go, sometimes it takes a while to get into some of these books but it's worth it. If your struggling have you thought about a good Audio book as a alternative.

message 4: by Florin (last edited Nov 25, 2012 06:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Florin Andrei This Side of Paradise is one of my favourite novels. Definitely worth a go :)

For what it's worth I couldn't very much get into The Beautiful and Damned either, but will try again in the future.

Ruth Allen When I was in my teens (a long time ago!) I read all of his novels and short stories - well, all of them that I could find at the time. The Penguin editions I bought are sitting on the shelf beside me as I type. So, yes, I think the rest are worth reading :)
My personal favourite is Tender is the Night.

Jenny I've read most of Fitzgerald's novels and a few of his short stories. My favorite is "Tender is the Night." I liked "The Great Gatsby" except it was so short.

Anthony Interlicchia Read his short story collections, they are fantastic.

Philip Lee 'Tender Is The Night' tails off in the third part (or maybe not, if you're a fan of the 'dying fall'), but the first two are the dizzying heights of American literature.

Matthew Anthony wrote: "Read his short story collections, they are fantastic."

Agreed. Besides Gatsby, I think his short stories are his best work. In his earlier, pre-Gatsby stories, particularly "Bernice Bobs her Hair" and Ice Palace, you can see about of the themes he would develop further in Gatsby.

Eugenia I read Tender is the Night, and I loved it. I like the writing style and themes in F. Scott Fitzgerald. I especially like the description of the lives of the characters in the resort. When I read these pieces seemed to me that I'm on the beach of the French Riviera.