Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Opportunely Finished October 3/4

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (last edited Nov 24, 2012 09:20PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1179 comments 9)Chojunby Goran Powell (historical martial arts fiction)Source: Net Galley Started: 10/19 Finished: 10/29

Why Read: I really love martial arts fiction. I'm a member/lurker on the martial arts fiction group on GR. Most of the members are martial artists and/or authors. I enjoy reading their posts, but I'm neither a martial artist nor an author. The originator of this group is Goran Powell, the author of this book. I'd been meaning to read a book by him. I think he's pretty awesome for his knowledge about the martial arts. This book takes place on Okinawa and is about the real Mr. Miyagi.

Comments: If you've seen the Karate Kid films, you'll remember the karate master, Mr. Miyagi, but you probably had no idea that there was a real karate master by that name. The book is written from the perspective of his fictional student and deals with the destruction of so much of Okinawa during WWII. This is a really wonderful book. The history, the martial arts and the characters are all top notch. I rated this A. See my November blog post "Chojun: Okinawan Karate and the Real Miyagi" at http://www.maskedpersona.blogspot.com

10)As The Crow Flies by Craig Johnson (Native American mystery) 308 pages. Source: Library Started: 10/20 Finished: 10/21

Why Read: This looked good from a Native American perspective. I've only read two others in this series. They were the first two. I skipped to this one which is the most recent because the third book didn't sound interesting.

Comments: I liked the Native American content and was interested in the unusual mentor relationship that the MC, Sheriff Walt Longmire, had with the new Tribal Police Chief. It was an opportunity for character development. Rating B+

11)Guillermina and the Rose: The story of a little girl who only wanted to be wanted by Robert Nielson (memoir) Source: The Bookplex Started: 10/21 Finished: 10/25

Why Read: The synopsis led me to believe that there might be some good Mexican culture content. It's the memoir of an American executive who went to Mexico to do a pilot project with education using computers.

Comments: Nielson decided to do his pilot project at an orphanage and met an extraordinary girl named Guillermina. Unfortunately, all was not well at the orphanage and all wasn't completely well with this book either. There was an editing problem. I rated it B-. See my November blog post "The Missing Source of Guillermina's Rose".

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 11109 comments Shomeret:
I love the discovering some of the things we learn in fictional as well as non fiction books, I had no idea there was a real Mr. Miyagi!
Shomeret wrote: "If you've seen the Karate Kid films, you'll remember the karate master, Mr. Miyagi, but you probably had no idea that there was a real karate master by that name."