2018 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > April Lyn/Aly22: Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley You can discuss your buddy read book Catch-22 here. Remember to cover your spoilers. :) Happy reading!

message 2: by Alia (new)

Alia (Alia22) | 31 comments hey Ashley ! Catch-22 is somewhat on the large side . I'ts 42 chapters . how about we divide it and discuss 14 chapters each time ? which will be around 3 times .. what do you think ? more often or less often ? I think that way it will require deadlines too .. so no one is ahead or behind by not knowing when to talk about the required chapters.

message 3: by April Lyn (new)

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Aly22 wrote: "hey Ashley ! Catch-22 is somewhat on the large side . I'ts 42 chapters . how about we divide it and discuss 14 chapters each time ? which will be around 3 times .. what do you think ? more often or..."

That's fine with me. It might just be the two of us reading it. Have you started yet?

Kelsi * Essentially Booked *  | 753 comments So, I think I will read this in Jan. to do the Goodreads 100 challenge, and I will probably join in the convo.

message 5: by Alia (new)

Alia (Alia22) | 31 comments April Lyn wrote: "Aly22 wrote: "hey Ashley ! Catch-22 is somewhat on the large side . I'ts 42 chapters . how about we divide it and discuss 14 chapters each time ? which will be around 3 times .. what do you think ?..."

Yes I did start. I'm on page 20 ! Although I picked it several times atom the beginning if the month. Usually when I read I get immersed in the story and can read for continuous hours. I don't know if it's just me but I can't make myself read more than 5 pages in one sitting ! I don't have a problem with dense books but this one can't make me flip pages as rapidly. With this pace I will definitely need more than a month but I don't want to continue reading this till the new year :( . I will try my best to push myself into it though .

message 6: by April Lyn (last edited Jan 02, 2013 06:02PM) (new)

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Aly22 wrote: "April Lyn wrote: "Aly22 wrote: "hey Ashley ! Catch-22 is somewhat on the large side . I'ts 42 chapters . how about we divide it and discuss 14 chapters each time ? which will be around 3 times .. w..."

haha! I started this morning and I'm on page 22 (first two chapters). I did read those chapters straight through though. And I probably could have read more if I wasn't exhausted. I think I am still going to try to finish it this month, since I've started it, but it's not a big deal if you're not feeling it. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who've read it who would be willing to chime in their two cents so our thread isn't boring :) So far, I actually think it is very funny. He writes the way I think - the way I imagine he probably thinks - so instead of trying to make sense of it all, I'm just enjoying the randomness and dry sense of humor.

message 7: by April Lyn (new)

April Lyn (aprilallyear) So.. I'm on page 82 now.. the beginning of chapter 9.. and starting to wish I did have someone to read it with me and keep me accountable. It's just too easy to pick up other mindless books, because to read Catch 22 (although I would describe it as fun and enjoyable) it's not exactly light reading. Which means that I kinda have to force myself to pick it up at times. When I do, I'm always glad that I did, but it's happening like once a week. At this rate, it will take me four months to read this book.

I still hold that it is very funny, one of the most clever books I've ever read. I enjoy reading excerpts out loud to my husband, even if he doesn't quite "get" them.

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (TracyIsReading) April, I put this on my kindle today I'll try to catch up to you this week but I have to finish The Book Thief first- I didn't want to put it down today. I will probably finish that tonight....

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Hey Tracy, I am going to be making another buddy read thread for this book for March, so feel free to join in there as well. We have so many wanting to read it since it is on the Goodreads 100 list. Plus, we are all reading it at a different time, soooo there will be quite the discussion I think!