Being Andy Henroid discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (last edited Feb 25, 2009 11:09AM) (new)

Andy (drewster) | 6 comments Mod
Frankly, I’m surprised by the massive turn-out so far. This was really just intended as a vanity project. And I’m starting to get nervous about the responsibility of being your designated spiritual leader, you know, molding three young minds... Andy, breathe! One, two, three. OK, I'm better. So, you’re really interested in being me? Well, you should probably start by reading my book That’s right, still in print after all these years and every bit as relevant.

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Russell (Manruss) | 2 comments I read that book, and frankly, I thought the characters were a little flat. First off, they only seemed interested in computers and computer power efficiency. While single-minded obsessiveness can be a powerful subject for exploration in the hands of a Tolstoy or a Hugo, in this instance, I don't feel as if the authors conveyed to me the urgency, the conviction, behind their chosen object of fixation.

Secondly, they didn't really seem to do much of anything. The plot was almost nonexistent, the authors preferring instead to rely on heavy monologues about AC adaptors and RAM memory to illuminate the lives of the characters. As such, it was almost entirely an internal drama, but it was not without its charms. The section on automated off-hours maintenance included several witty turns, and the chapter on open source design was, in a word, hilarious. Unfortunately, these moments of resplendence were few and separated by oceans of dry and rambling speeches on personal computer construction.

Building the Power Efficient PC's utter rejection of conventional plot formulas or any hint of conflict other than the Man vs. Self (or perhaps Man vs. PC) variety can be seen as daring, even avant garde, and while I applaud the spirit of such experimentation with the novel format, in the end, I would have liked to have seen an experiment with a more satisfying conclusion.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy (drewster) | 6 comments Mod
Mark, in writing this review, you've put in ten times the thought and effort that I did in writing the book. And, bravo, you've really captured its essence! As reward (as if getting a glimpse into the inner-world of Andy Henroid isn't itself enough reward) I'll be sure to get you on the early reviewer list for the 2nd edition, which promises to be even more action-packed than the 1st.