Dreamspinner Press discussion

Augusta Li
This topic is about Augusta Li
Meet the Author > Meet Augusta Li

Comments (showing 1-50 of 145) (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dreamspinner (new)

Dreamspinner Press (Dreamspinnerpress) | 2637 comments Mod
Chat with Augusta Li, author of A Grimoire for the Baron, today at 5PM EST.

message 2: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments I'm here! Anybody else?

message 3: by Marta (new)

Marta L. | 207 comments Hellos :)

message 4: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Hi guys thanks for coming! Did you guys have a good holiday on Thursday (if you're USA)?

message 5: by Y.M. (new)

Y.M. García (claudiamoran) | 29 comments Hello, been dying for this chat! How are you? (Sorry, not from the US)

message 6: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Doing well. Haha, don't be sorry. Where from?

message 7: by Y.M. (new)

Y.M. García (claudiamoran) | 29 comments I'm from Guatemala :D

message 8: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments I'm sure you're much warming than I am. It's snowing here.

message 9: by Y.M. (new)

Y.M. García (claudiamoran) | 29 comments Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case, however for me it's freezing!!! I'm under a blanket right now... hehe

message 10: by Marta (new)

Marta L. | 207 comments I actually was in a state of "resurrection" after taking 3 exams Monday-Wednesday so even if it wasn't Thanksgiving for me I did enjoy Thursday and Friday greatly :)

I draw manga and other genres so your covers made me come to the chat. The other reason is that I myself am an author (even if a bit of a noob) so during each chat with other authors I get to learn stuff about myself and get inspired to write better and more interesting/realistic plots.

message 11: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Yes, I have a wonderful cover artist, Anne Cain. She was a part of the reason I chose to publish with Dreamspinner. I feel very lucky to have her. Although, if you're looking for realistic plots, you may have come to the wrong place :-)
I write primarily fantasy.
What do you write, Marta?

message 12: by Y.M. (new)

Y.M. García (claudiamoran) | 29 comments Ohhh you draw and write? How amazing!! I love Augusta Li's fantasy stories!!!

I'm starting to write (fantasy stories of course), although it's on my native language: Spanish.

message 13: by Eon (new)

Eon Beaumont (Eon_de_Beaumont) | 31 comments Hey Gus. Hope you don't mind if I pop in on this.

message 14: by Marta (new)

Marta L. | 207 comments Lol, I am the one who writes realistic plots :P

The whole "human interactions and chatting" thing is what inspires me. I have a bit of an issue, though. I'm an observer rather than a participant and that shows in my writing so just looking around and rethinking stuff for now. Doing more 2D and 3D art at the moment. Also have exams and college stuff to catch up with. Active living much, lol.

message 15: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Y.M.-Fantasy is super fun to write! Hopefully there will be a translation for the English speakers at some point.

Dawn-I feel ya. I'm still eating from it and today I ate at a retirement party.

Hi Eon! Eon is my writing partner. We worked together on Boots and Grimoire.

message 16: by Eon (new)

Eon Beaumont (Eon_de_Beaumont) | 31 comments Hi everybody.

message 17: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Marta, I am so glad I'm out of school. It's an endurance test, that's for sure!

message 18: by Y.M. (new)

Y.M. García (claudiamoran) | 29 comments Hello Eon! I haven't had the chance to read Boots and Grimoire, but it's on my wish list...

message 19: by Eon (new)

Eon Beaumont (Eon_de_Beaumont) | 31 comments Dawn- ash and Echoes is awesome. And yes Gus writes fantasy but the characters behave very realistically given the situations.

message 20: by Tammy K. (new)

Tammy K. (Rambles_of_a_reader) | 79 comments Hi everyone, Hi Augusta thanks for chatting with us. :)

message 21: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Dawn wrote: "I've read Boots and Grimoire, both fantastic books with complete, engrossing characters and worlds. I find myself thinking about the characters long after finishing. It was the same with Ash and Ec..."

Thanks so much. The characters are the most important part for me/us.

message 22: by Marta (new)

Marta L. | 207 comments Augusta wrote: "Marta, I am so glad I'm out of school. It's an endurance test, that's for sure!"

Lol...just 9 more years XD Finishing my current BA (cultural studies) in 2 years, doing the MA for it (Media, society and culture) that takes 2 more years and then going to law school for 5 more years. And I'm the queen of endurance, no one can drink as much as me and stay sober, lmao.

message 23: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Tammy K. wrote: "Hi everyone, Hi Augusta thanks for chatting with us. :)"

Hi Tammy. Thanks for stopping by!

message 24: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Marta wrote: "Augusta wrote: "Marta, I am so glad I'm out of school. It's an endurance test, that's for sure!"

Lol...just 9 more years XD Finishing my current BA (cultural studies) in 2 years, doing the MA for ..."

Good for you. That's a part of the college experience, drinking :)

message 25: by Y.M. (new)

Y.M. García (claudiamoran) | 29 comments "Lol...just 9 more years XD Finishing my current BA (cultural studies) in 2 years, doing the MA for ..."

Damn! Your school system is totally different from mine, I'm only 2 years away to graduate from law school :D

message 26: by Y.M. (new)

Y.M. García (claudiamoran) | 29 comments So, what are your plans for the future Augusta Li? What new stories can we expect for 2013??

message 27: by Eon (new)

Eon Beaumont (Eon_de_Beaumont) | 31 comments We do spend a lot of time on our characters.

message 28: by Marta (new)

Marta L. | 207 comments Yeah, but I think I can cut it short and make it 2.5 years because I'll already be holding a BA from the same college in 2 years and be able to transfer credits and notes. Also, the MA for law is the same as for cultural studies (odd but awesome).

Anyway, this chat isn't about me but about a wonderful fantasy author and books with beautiful manga covers :)

message 29: by Eon (new)

Eon Beaumont (Eon_de_Beaumont) | 31 comments Anne is awesome.

message 30: by Tammy K. (new)

Tammy K. (Rambles_of_a_reader) | 79 comments I agree with Marta the cover work is always amazing. Your characters are rich and I enjoy the settings.
In short your books are fun to read.

message 31: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Y.M. wrote: "So, what are your plans for the future Augusta Li? What new stories can we expect for 2013??"

The sequel to Ash and Echoes is done and with the publisher; it should be out around March, and I'm shooting for the third book in the series to be out in September/October. These books tend to be long, between 125K and 150K, so I'll do my best.

There will be a sequel to Boots and Grimoire. We're shooting for early summer with that one.

I'll also do a few standalones. Maybe even a contemporary. Never attempted one of those.

message 32: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Marta wrote: "Yeah, but I think I can cut it short and make it 2.5 years because I'll already be holding a BA from the same college in 2 years and be able to transfer credits and notes. Also, the MA for law is t..."

I like getting to know new people. Feel free to talk about your work or even put a link if you like :)

message 33: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Dawn wrote: "And Querry's name is genius!"

Eon made the name. We were playing Persona 3 and he just came up with it. The story grew from there.

message 34: by Y.M. (new)

Y.M. García (claudiamoran) | 29 comments "I'll also do a few standalones. Maybe even a contemporary. Never attempted one of those..."

Oh my lord!!! Ash and Echoes book 2 & 3 for 2013!!! Those are great news!!

I need to read Boots and Grimoire then!

Ohh contemporary, that should be fun hahahaha

message 35: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Tammy K. wrote: "I agree with Marta the cover work is always amazing. Your characters are rich and I enjoy the settings.
In short your books are fun to read."

Thank you. I hope they're as fun to read as they are to write. I like to write a lot of action and tend toward things that are a little unconventional.

message 36: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Y.M. wrote: ""I'll also do a few standalones. Maybe even a contemporary. Never attempted one of those..."

Oh my lord!!! Ash and Echoes book 2 & 3 for 2013!!! Those are great news!!

I need to read Boots and G..."

I hope the contemporary doesn't suck. I'm so used to writing epic battles that normal people seem a little dull. I just don't want it to be boring.

message 37: by Y.M. (new)

Y.M. García (claudiamoran) | 29 comments Thank you. I hope they're as fun to r..."

And that's what I love the most about your books and what makes them refreshing: the unconventional.

message 38: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Dawn wrote: "I really like the gradual changes in Frolic as the stories progress. I appreciated his innocence at first, but as he experiences more, he's carrying more burdens. Interesting."

I sort of hated what I had to do to him in Grimoire. He's one of my favorite characters ever. Couldn't leave him static, though. He needed to grow, even if it hurt a little.

message 39: by Marta (new)

Marta L. | 207 comments I love historical, sometimes I just need to read stories about sensual well-mannered men, lol. Therefore I respect authors who can create such characters and put them to use in a good story plot.

I personally am writing contemporary. I like to study the world around me because the well known cliches "there's no simple answer and the simplest of things are the most complicated" are so very true in my humble opinion.

message 40: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Y.M. wrote: "Thank you. I hope they're as fun to r..."

And that's what I love the most about your books and what makes them refreshing: the unconventional."

Awesome. No risk no reward!

message 41: by Tammy K. (new)

Tammy K. (Rambles_of_a_reader) | 79 comments LOL @ 'normal people seem dull'

message 42: by Y.M. (new)

Y.M. García (claudiamoran) | 29 comments Tammy K. wrote: "LOL @ 'normal people seem dull'"

hahahaha totally agree with you!

message 43: by Marta (new)

Marta L. | 207 comments Lol...there's no such thing as normal. There's "common" and "ordinary". Never heard either being a compliment >.>

message 44: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Marta wrote: "I love historical, sometimes I just need to read stories about sensual well-mannered men, lol. Therefore I respect authors who can create such characters and put them to use in a good story plot.

..."

I have a whole new respect for contemporary writers now that I've attempted it a little. It isn't easy! Writing fantasy is easier for me. Maybe that's what happens when you grow up on video games ;-)

message 45: by Eon (new)

Eon Beaumont (Eon_de_Beaumont) | 31 comments And soul calibur v. That's where frolic got his eyes. I love Querry's name too:)

message 46: by Augusta (new)

Augusta Li | 81 comments Tammy K. wrote: "LOL @ 'normal people seem dull'"

Haha, didn't mean any offense. Like I said, fantasy is easier for me. All the conflict is magnified. I also really, really like writing battles :)

message 47: by Tammy K. (new)

Tammy K. (Rambles_of_a_reader) | 79 comments I enjoy both fantasy reads and contemporary. When 'real life' is getting to much for me, I will grab a high fantasy book to slide into over a contemporary.

message 48: by Y.M. (new)

Y.M. García (claudiamoran) | 29 comments Augusta wrote: "Marta wrote: "I love historical, sometimes I just need to read stories about sensual well-mannered men, lol. Therefore I respect authors who can create such characters and put them to use in a good..."

Video games!! Yes, that must be it! I love them!!!

message 49: by Eon (new)

Eon Beaumont (Eon_de_Beaumont) | 31 comments Yeah. I find most contemporaries I read boring. I don't want to read about two guys in a coffee shop cause I can go do that. I can't go fight a dragon. That's also why I don't play the sims.

message 50: by Eon (new)

Eon Beaumont (Eon_de_Beaumont) | 31 comments Yeah. I find most contemporaries I read boring. I don't want to read about two guys in a coffee shop cause I can go do that. I can't go fight a dragon. That's also why I don't play the sims.

« previous 1 3