Society For Displaced Glitchen of a Literary Persuasion discussion

What floats your boat... Genre

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 19 comments Mod
As stated in the AKA discussion - I am currently into reading a lot of young adult books, dystopia/apocalyptic/sciencefiction. I also like historical fiction and don't mind the odd light romance but nothing to slushy. I am starting to feel a little same old same old, so am always happy to hear of any good recommendations for any genre. Some of the books I have loved this year were.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline One Second After by William R. Forstchen Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth The Red Tent by Anita Diamant The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
ps One Second After scared the crap out of me :O

message 2: by Pat (new)

Pat (plwebb) | 2 comments I'm a fan of books! I read mostly novels and if they're based on history, so much the better. I've read quite a few of the Dystopian novels but they do get old after a bit.
I also love history so I read quite a bit of non-fiction. If I read books about war, I'd rather they be set in WWII. I like biographies but not trashy stuff.
I hate romance novels. I don't read erotica so I have not read the Shades of Gray books.
I like books about the settling of America especially the old west. I like Jane Kirkpatrick's books particularly the Kinship and Courage series.
If you all haven't read "One Second After" by William Forstchen, I highly recommend it!

message 3: by preoccu (new)

preoccu (egiantine) | 16 comments Mod
Mandy! I like poetry and 19th century novels and science fiction and nonfiction. But I think we have similar tastes in dystopia and I wanted to point out this goodreads user I'm following,
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/27...
- she has a massive list of recommendations and so far they've been quite good. I found "Wonder" by R J Palacio through it and I think you will like it even though it's more regular fiction than dystopia per se :)
- Eglantine

message 4: by Angelo (new)

Angelo (Malakh) | 21 comments I am a librarian... go figure. ^_^

message 5: by Txkimmers (new)

Txkimmers | 15 comments Love historical fiction here..science fiction over fantasy (major exception: Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell), YA fiction to some extent, pop-science, history, the occasional biography. I love a good dystopia, because who doesn't these days?

message 6: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 19 comments Mod
Thanks eggy I have it bookmarked to read and am now following Wendy's reviews :)
@Angelo At least your never short of anything to read :p

message 7: by preoccu (new)

preoccu (egiantine) | 16 comments Mod
Oh oh I have a dystopian-ish recommendation, one of my favorite books: Lanark by Alasdair Gray! It's kind of glitch-esque since it's so trippy, but much less cute and much darker...

message 8: by Laura (last edited Nov 28, 2012 08:05AM) (new)

Laura (jumpinjiminycrickets) | 24 comments Mod
Thanks Eggy! Wow, that user has a great collection. I'm going to follow her too. I like, hmm, lots of things. Sci-fi, speculative, fantasy, some history and pop science, magical realism. I also have a soft spot for silliness a la Christopher Moore, Terry Pratchett, Jasper Fforde.

I used to be a big fan of dystopia but I think I've overdosed a bit lately. Either that, or they're getting more depressing than they used to be.

-- Laura (Lelu)

message 9: by Debbie (last edited Nov 27, 2012 06:25PM) (new)

Debbie Gascoyne (intertext) | 3 comments Mod
I like a lot of different things - fantasy, sf, some crime novels, some romance, or combinations. I like some YA fantasy and sf, but find the dystopian stuff getting a bit tired. I love Maggie Stiefvater, though, and highly recommend her. I'm an English prof, so I also read classics and current lit fic. I'm also a huge fan of Diana Wynne Jones, and have even published an article about her :)
(Tradescantia)

message 10: by Txkimmers (new)

Txkimmers | 15 comments Diana Wynne Jones is one of my favorite authors, YA or OA. A fantastic storyteller!

message 11: by Madzia (last edited Dec 04, 2012 01:49PM) (new)

Madzia (cefeida) | 8 comments Have you read any Lem?

The author, not the giant.

Philosophical sci-fi, with the kind of imagery that makes you cringe and chuckle nervously at the same time. Ideological dystopia, if you will. Also fairytales for robots.

I recommend 'Pirx the Pilot'

-- Cefeida

message 12: by Angelo (new)

Angelo (Malakh) | 21 comments I have started adding the books to my shelves and I suddenly realized that it will take a loooooooong time before I am finished. >.<

message 13: by Laura (new)

There is an author named Lem ?! Go figure. Sounds like I need to look this one up :)

message 14: by Madzia (new)

Madzia (cefeida) | 8 comments I have a suspicion that Stoot & Co. named the Giant after him :p He's a bit...hm...well...

See for yourself. Here's a sample short story:

http://english.lem.pl/home/bookshelf/...

Btw, Mandy, could you edit the title of this thread? It should be 'What floats' and not 'What flotes'. Unless it's a reference to a joke that I'm missing, in which case I apologise...

message 15: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 19 comments Mod
Cef I dont know what you mean, the title looks fine to me....hehe :p

message 16: by Madzia (new)

Madzia (cefeida) | 8 comments :P Sneaky cheeky!

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 10, 2012 02:32PM) (new)

I'm a librarian too (though not a public librarian - I'm an academic law librarian). My tastes are pretty small-c catholic like most people's around here - I adore Jane Austen, Dorothy L. Sayers, various types of speculative fiction (I just read this: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13... really innovative premise, and a great first novel). Pretty much I will try any genre or author at least once...

I should also add that since I have a fairly long commute, good audiobooks are practically a necessity for me. I also love to read aloud, and did an audiobook of a friend's short story that can be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2297508/The%2...

- jasbo

message 18: by Laura (new)

Cefeida, that story by Lem which you linked is a great read! I really liked it -- thanks for sharing! :)

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 4 comments I like literary fiction, historical fiction, classics, political novels. Bit of humour now and again. Yep me too on the dystopia front. Anything to do with the Spanish civil war. I'll dip into science fiction but not fantasy and I run screaming to the hills away from 'romantic fiction' or anything tainted by the hand of celebrity.

I do love a well crafted sentence.

Slippy

message 20: by Madzia (new)

Madzia (cefeida) | 8 comments Laura wrote: "Cefeida, that story by Lem which you linked is a great read! I really liked it -- thanks for sharing! :)"

:D Glad you did! Funny thing is, I hated having to read him in elementary school...and then years later one story of his was still haunting me, and I went, huh, this guy...this guy was on to something. Now I still can't take him in large doses but I do think he's brilliant.

Lately I've mostly been reading monographs. There's something very satisfying about having a whole book devoted to one, sometimes apparently mundane, subject. Right now I'm reading 'River of Shadows' which is about Eadweard Muybridge and 19th century California.

I haven't been on Goodreads for too long, so my 'shelves' here don't accurately reflect my reading history.

--Cefeida

message 21: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tamdoll) | 16 comments Going to put Pirx the Pilot by Lem on my to-read list, am intrigued now. I usually stick with fantasy but have read a lot of YA lately since my kids became teens & I want to know what they're reading.
-Vague

message 22: by Eva (new)

Eva (misseva) As a child I wanted desperately to be a children's librarian. Recommending books like:
Howl's Moving Castle or Alanna: The First Adventure

Even though I don't work as a children's librarian (though I do work at a library, teaching computers) I LOVE juvenile fiction. The stories and the characters and the magic.

message 23: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tamdoll) | 16 comments Eva wrote..." I just started working at a library (tech dept.) & love being surrounded by the books & suggestions all the time. I'm going to have to check out Howl's Moving Castle... I think I saw that film.

Been thinking that I should start a goodreads group for the library (does yours have one?) Maybe this isn't the forum to talk about it though.

Now I'm wondering how many things people who played Gitch have in common?

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2 comments I'm a localizer (i.e. a translator with a very technical/ICT twist). As for reading tastes, I am an omnivore. My interests range from scientific non-fiction to science fiction and everything in between. I'm always willing to learn when the author has something to teach :).
(We indeed have many things in common!)
Hig, Occasional Butterfly Fondler (don't remember the actual name of the achievment but I like the way it sounds :))

message 25: by Joy (new)

Joy (cithra) | 5 comments I am really enjoying the recommendations. I just got The Grasshopper from the library.
Cithra, Nouveau Whack Job

message 26: by g33kgurrl (new)

g33kgurrl | 2 comments I don't seem to have a specific genre. A book has to capture me.

Right now I'm reading A Night of Horrors: A Historical Thriller about the 24 Hours of Lincoln's Assassination by John C. Berry.

I haven't read World War Z yet, but it's on my short list.

message 27: by Mars (new)

Mars (marsanderson) | 2 comments I will read just about anything. My favorite is probably fantasy, particularly urban fantasy like Charles de Lint.

message 28: by Terri (new)

Terri Light | 2 comments I devour books. But lately I have been devouring audiobooks as I work in pre-press and digital photography and I spend my life chained to a laptop or desktop screen. About a decade ago I got involved in a Bizarre Bookring where a dozen or so readers mailed around books (via bookcrossing.com) with unusual themes and funky/scary/odd plotlines. Jonathan Carroll is a fave of mine but I have been getting into all of the Cory Doctorow books and pretty much anything he recommends on boingboing.
~Mistress*of*Fishies - Elementary Penguin

message 29: by Eruwenn (new)

Eruwenn | 3 comments I'm more of a sci-fi/fantasy sort of gal, but sometimes other genres will pull me in. As for my goodreads list, I am on a neverending quest to manage to read all that I have put on my Kindle. I am doomed.
~DiddilyPuff

message 30: by Asta (last edited Jan 01, 2013 09:42PM) (new)

Asta (astaa) | 11 comments I'm the child of a librarian,have a BA in English Lit.(among other things), and work in the media so I'm not even going to attempt to list everything that interests me. I go through phases, and presently am on a bit of a a memoirs/diary fest. Mysteries have always appealed, particularly British authors. My appetite for literary fiction has waned over the past decade; I blame universities with creative writing programs for turning out technically irreproachable authors who bore my eyes out.

caley dunn-typo chat pro

message 31: by Laura (new)

Asta - I think I know what you mean about some of that literary fiction! I really don't understand how I can read twenty or forty pages of something that's technically well written, but pointless. Sometimes even repulsive. Did someone tell them that "edgy" characters were a good thing?

message 32: by Eva (last edited Jan 08, 2013 03:51PM) (new)

Eva (misseva) Tammy wrote: "Eva wrote..." I just started working at a library (tech dept.) & love being surrounded by the books & suggestions all the time. I'm going to have to check out Howl's Moving Castle... I think I saw..."

Sorry for the late reply! Our library does not have a Goodreads group. It's a very, very small library - as all in this rural area are. I teach computer basics here. Getting the community onto email is kind of the first step. Slowly moving towards Goodreads, though. A few people have Twitter or Facebook ... but the majority are still learning to use Google.

Miss Eva, The Daily Hi-Skipper

message 33: by Tammy (last edited Jan 08, 2013 07:23PM) (new)

Tammy (tamdoll) | 16 comments Thanks for the reply Miss Eva!
I still haven't started the group yet...
(Vague)

message 34: by Asta (new)

Asta (astaa) | 11 comments Laura wrote: "Asta - I think I know what you mean about some of that literary fiction! I really don't understand how I can read twenty or forty pages of something that's technically well written, but pointless...."

Exactly. Or another twenty pages exploring the micro-minutiae of Caucasian suburban morning coffee rituals.