Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Family Corner > Holiday Disaster Stories

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14286 comments Got any disaster stories to tell that involve the holidays? Christmas? Thanksgiving? New Years? Any other holiday?

Feel free to share!

message 2: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (last edited Nov 22, 2012 04:25PM) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14286 comments My disaster story is when I tried to do thanksgiving dinner for my hubby (then new boyfriend) while stationed overseas. It was the first time I'd ever tried to do the whole meal myself. I stuck the turkey in the oven and let it go. Later, I was wondering why I didn't have any "giblets". I found out I left them inside the turkey. I got them out before the turkey was completely done. lol. I cooked at hubby's place and then we left. He told me not to worry about dishes or anything because he would get his maid to clean up so everything was left out. About a week later I was back over at his place and no maid had come. Guess who got to clean up the gross mess?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 12544 comments Nice story, Pamela. Well it all ended happily despite the mishap, LOL.

message 4: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14286 comments lol, yeah, 27 years ago...

message 5: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Nov 25, 2012 06:30PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 21896 comments Ugh! That's awful, Pamela!

You might know that I've switch to a vegan lifestyle; (however, I did eat turkey on Turkey day). Anyway, I made a ton of vegan cookies, trying to find the perfect Christmas cookie for the holidays. The remodel workmen were my guinea pigs.

I made one batch of Quinoa cookies that were soooooooooooo bad. My sister-in-law, Kris, said it best: "They must have been pretty bad if even chocolate chips couldn't save them!" LOL!

message 6: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14286 comments lol. hopefully you found a better recipe!

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 21896 comments I did. Several, in fact. ☺

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 12544 comments Wow, Lisa Kay a vegan lifestyle. Are you feeling healthier?? Does that mean no eggs, fish or dairy as well?

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 21896 comments Yup. That is what it means and yes, I'm feeling much better.

message 10: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 2103 comments My disaster is that we got a pipe leak in the wall that was leaking through our hardwood floors. The plumber came the day after Thanksgiving to detect the leak and put two huge holes in the wall. Day after that, a water restoration company came out and put heaters and dehumidifiers in the house. They finally removed the heaters because the floor wasn't drying, the walls did dry out though and they ended up having to take out half of the flooring (not sure why they thought they could save the floors). We've got half wood and half concrete and the house is still a mess. Now I'm waiting to see if they can match the flooring or if they are going to have to rip it all out.

We still managed to have Thanksgiving at our house but had lots of towels on the floor to soak up the water.

I guess it could have been worse and we could have had a slab leak.

message 11: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14286 comments OMG! How awful! We had our hot water heater crash when we were gone out of town. We got a call from my mom saying we had water coming out of the house. What a mess!

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 21896 comments Good Gravy Beans, how I hate that four letter word: L.E.A.K.

message 13: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14286 comments Yeah, I bet you do, LK!

message 14: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 2103 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "OMG! How awful! We had our hot water heater crash when we were gone out of town. We got a call from my mom saying we had water coming out of the house. What a mess!"

A friend of mine just had her's crash. She woke up in the morning to find the garage flooded.

I'm hating that four letter word also!

message 15: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14286 comments We are getting to where we will be needing to purchase another hot water heater within the next year or so. I'm wanting a tankless but hubby doesn't. He's not convinced that they are worth it.

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 21896 comments Never heard of a "tankless".

message 17: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14286 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Never heard of a "tankless"."

The idea is that it heats the water when you use it and there isn't a tank full of water that constantly needs to be heated. But they ARE more expensive and thus one of the reasons hubby is resistant.

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 21896 comments So, they "zap" the water instantly...or you have to wait for it?

message 19: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14286 comments Not sure how long it would take to get to you heated but over in Spain when I lived there they had sort of the same idea. No hot water heaters. You heated the water as you used it. And as long as you had butano (gas) you had hot water. It heated very quickly over there.

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 21896 comments Ah. Thanks.

message 21: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 2103 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Lisa Kay wrote: "Never heard of a "tankless"."

The idea is that it heats the water when you use it and there isn't a tank full of water that constantly needs to be heated. But they ARE more expens..."

I'm liking that idea, never heard of it. I'd love to get rid of the big tank in the garage. I'll have to check it out.

message 22: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14286 comments Yes, we all need more room for books. lol

message 23: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 648 comments I watch 'This Old House' a lot, and those guys love the tankless water heaters. More environmentally friendly, and in the long run they say they are much more efficient for your gas or electric bill too. I'd love to have one :)
Right after high school, my best friend and I had a trailer and one morning I woke up and went in the bathroom to find water all over the floor. It was the water heater blown, water was pouring out the top of it like a waterfall, it was a horrible mess! And a pain in the ass to replace because the tank was behind a panel beside the toilet in a little cubicle area of maybe 3 square feet. We got my step-dad and a couple of his buddies to fix it for us, but they had to take the toilet out to do it, and then tear the floor up where it had gotten soaked... It was a mess... Didn't happen on a holiday though, so that was good :)

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 21896 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Yes, we all need more room for books. lol"

**hee hee** Pamela!

message 25: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14286 comments OMG, Kit! Bet it cut into the Christmas fund, though. lol

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 21896 comments I would really hate a big mess like that. Ugh.

message 27: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Rhoades (JackieRhoades) | 192 comments Okay, this is a little late and it didn't happen to me, but...
When my friend was first married, she wanted to make Thanksgiving for her folks and the in-laws all by herself. Everyone took off for football games or whatever, so she's all alone. She knew she had to get the giblets out, but she didn't know the turkey was wired shut. She jammed her hand in and her hand got stuck! She didn't have a car and no one she knew in the neighborhood was home. She ended up knocking on doors until a kindly stranger got his wire cutters out. I laugh every time I think of her going door to door with that turkey on her hand!

message 28: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14286 comments OMG!!!! Poor thing!

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 21896 comments How awful! Funny, but awful.

message 30: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 1915 comments Not so much of a disaster as a True Confession.

I live with a homebody. Husband likes to be home. And we have two kids and a dog. So I am NEVER EVER EVER home by myself. EVER.

One Thanksgiving, I decided I was going to stay home alone. So I played sick, and Hubby took kids and dog to his Mom's. Bliss.

Except he decided to FaceTime with me at dinner. And made me say hi to everyone, including the Doctor Uncle-in-Law.

In order to lend credence to my illness, I coughed. Dr. Uncle proclaimed, "That's the fakest cough I ever heard!"

I *think* he was kidding. Oy.

message 31: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14286 comments LOL @ Abigail! Busted!

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 21896 comments Really! **snortsnort**

message 33: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 1915 comments So busted. :)
But worth it.