Rockism 101 discussion

politics and culture > Would the US be better off if Texas left the Union?

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (last edited Nov 22, 2012 12:49PM) (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments America seems like it is ready to progress into the 21st century but the extreme Right-wing continues to hold the country's progress back. The largest concentration of right-wing wealth is in Texas. The state that gave the US its worst president ever in George W. Bush and the state that was the site of the assasination of JFK. After our most recent election, in which Texas gave more electoral votes to the Repubicans than any other two states combined, disatisified Texas voters brought up the notion of leaving the Union. It is an idea that has historical roots in Texas, dating back to before the Civil War.

Would the U.S. be better off without them holding us back?

message 2: by Christina (last edited Nov 22, 2012 06:38PM) (new)

Christina First of all, let me disclose that I am a Texan.

Second, Texas did not make a petition to secede, some Texans did. Even Rick Perry said Texas was not going to secede. At this point, every single state has a petition to secede, and I believe that one other state has met the 25,000 signature benchmark for a presidential response.

This is the equivalent of not getting what you want, threatening to run away, making it to the end of the block and returning home. Just ignore the tantrum. We're talking about less than 1% of the population. Last time I checked, it was less than .5%. What about all the liberals who said they would move out of country if Bush won a second term? They're still here...

People like to make fun of Texas, beat their chests and say the US is better off without them. Just as those who want to secede need to take a step back and think about what that would really mean, those who are saying they should be let go need to do the same. Don't kid yourself into believing you will feel no impact. You will.

message 3: by Ed (last edited Nov 26, 2012 09:08AM) (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments There would be an impact, I agree Christina, but just to play devi's advocate, couln't it actually be a positive impact?

For instance we could finally get alot of the Big Oil money out of Washington.

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina And be even more reliant on non-American sources? Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. And it would open the floodgates. It would not end with one state.

message 5: by Ed (last edited Nov 26, 2012 09:08AM) (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments It might motivate us to be more like Europe and find innovative ways to target Green Energy use. Necessity is the mother of invention as they say.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 218 comments Mod
No, the union would not be better without Texas. We need the states that have strong economies to stay right where they are. Once again, we are broke yet we keep adding and expanding idealistic and utopic programs and now we say "good luck and good riddance" to one of the few states that has a decent thing going with it's economy?

On that note, if Texas secedes and nominates Ron Paul as President of New Texas, I would move there in a heart beat and our brand new economy of a small nation would kick the USA's economy's ass.

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina I'm out of town Ed, so I will have to get back to you on this one. But my dad is a Marine and my husband is a Marine. There are a lot of Texans in military service, not to mention southerners. You would likely lose a good chunk of your military as well. And do you honestly think the Janeane Garofalos and Susan Sarandons are going to fill in the gaps?

And I'll do more research into this when I get home, but last I checked, Europe was still driving gas powered cars and paying much higher rates than the US. If your theory was correct, they would all be driving electric cars by now.

message 8: by Rock (new)

Rock Ism | 284 comments Mod
Screw Texas. They contribute nothing but bull shit to our naiton.

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 218 comments Mod
Rock wrote: "Screw Texas. They contribute nothing but bull shit to our naiton."

And money. Money we need because we are broke and we continue to vote for new and expensive programs.