The Next Best Book Club discussion

Fun and Games > Page 23

Comments (showing 1-50 of 61) (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nono (last edited Nov 22, 2012 12:49PM) (new)

Nono (PinkPanthress) | 1103 comments I was playing this 'game' on a book group at last.fm for some time and after searching and seeing it not being present here, I thought you might like to give it a try, too.

The Rules.: Open the book which you are currently reading (or just a random book) at page 23 and write the 1'st sentence from this page down.
Add the Author and Title. (all languages are allowed)
If the sentence is too small you might consider to add the follwing one.

EDIT - If the sentence is too long, you can write part of it, say around 30 words, and then end it with ellipses (…)
This game is not really about getting to know the book. :)
Just the tiniest of a hunch.

I'll start first as an example...

"not above so much as around us. It's in the willows."

-'The Willows' by Algernon Blackwood-

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9626 comments Mod
"Sure, thanks, Will. And just relax, it will be ok."

- Fridgularity, Mark A Rayner

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9626 comments Mod
(there's a page 69 test that's kinda the same thing.... only it's meant for the whole page, and it's supposed to give you a feeling for what the novel is like)

message 4: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (ttakats) "Her face hardened, and she said skeptically: 'It may be.'"

-Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett

message 5: by Bryn (last edited Nov 22, 2012 10:17AM) (new)

Bryn Hammond (BrynHammond) "pathy arose in him, a compassion that pertained as much to Augustus as to the mass of humanity, to the ruler as well as to the ruled..."

and this sentence goes on for fifteen lines which I'll decline to type. Except the sentence gets so telling of the book I'll take it up later on:

"... for this seething, befuddled, unrecognized evil was beyond the reach of every governmental enterprise, beyond reach of every earthly force however great, beyond reach, perhaps, of the gods themselves, and no human outcry sufficed to overwhelm it except, it may be, that small voice of the soul, called song, which while it makes known the evil, announces also the awakening of salvation, knowledge-aware, knowledge-fraught, knowledge-persuading, the provenance of every true song."

And see, this is why I hate hyphens.

The Death of Virgil Hermann Broch

message 6: by Nono (last edited Nov 22, 2012 01:01PM) (new)

Nono (PinkPanthress) | 1103 comments Lori wrote: "(there's a page 69 test that's kinda the same thing.... only it's meant for the whole page, and it's supposed to give you a feeling for what the novel is like)"

Oups, I was not aware of it. Even though I combed through the topics.

Also... if I am not mistaken, this game is not so much about giving the people a real feeling about it.
It is really just copying/typing a tiny fragment from the beginning of a book. :)

message 7: by Yuliya (last edited Nov 22, 2012 01:03PM) (new)

Yuliya (Yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments "If he was an expert, then he'd know I was telling the truth," Mom shot back.
Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult

message 8: by Jane (last edited Nov 22, 2012 02:47PM) (new)

Jane | 221 comments However, prudence told him that one should always foresee situations in which the animal, out of ill will, irritation or sheer contrariness, might refuse to offer his services as a lift, which is where the ladder came in, although it was hard to believe that an angry elephant would agree to be a mere support and unresistingly allow the mahout or whoever to climb aboard.The Elephant's JourneyJosé Saramago

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 118 comments "glasses are convenient and easy to take care of."
The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls by Valorie Schaefer

message 10: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 6030 comments Wisps of fog began to drift across the terraced lawns, white lace in ribbons curling around the trees and bushes.

Shadow Game Christine Feehan

message 11: by Nono (last edited Nov 27, 2012 04:02AM) (new)

Nono (PinkPanthress) | 1103 comments "...(»Verzei)-hen Sie, Sie haben ja recht. Ich könnte vor Scham im Boden versinken.«"

-'The House on the Hill' by Judith Kelman-

message 12: by Nono (new)

Nono (PinkPanthress) | 1103 comments "Das war natürlich eine dumme Frage, unglaublich dumm, aber sie ließ sich viel leichter stellen als die, die ihr tatsächlich durch den Kopf gingen: Gerald, wie schlimm bist du verletzt? Gerald, glaubst du, du wirst sterben?

-'Gerald's Game' by Stephen King-

message 13: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (jesireads) | 34 comments -they're exposed to. But not as quickly as quickly as the fostered children themselves, whose childhoods have often been sacrificed on the pyre of daily survival.

Damaged: The Heartbreaking True Story of a Forgotten Child by Cathy Glass

Funny thins is, I was on 23 already

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (giddypony) | 2 comments Any reason that might have bee advanced earlier for my becoming the medium in these negotiations, on the grounds that my father was still out of eNGLAND, had been utterly demolished by the information that he was to be found in London.

A Question of Upbringing by Anthony Powell

message 15: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (jesireads) | 34 comments -her keepers who'd committed no sin greater than seeking gainful employment at the castle, and suffering her as punishment.

The Princess's Dragon by Susan Trombley

message 16: by Nono (last edited Mar 11, 2013 02:16AM) (new)

Nono (PinkPanthress) | 1103 comments "...bewahrt wurde. Meistens waren es dumme Mädchen, die offensichtlich nur essen und schlafen wollten.

-'Skeleton Crew' = (Book 3 of 3 [separated in Germany]) 'Der Fornit. Unheimliche Geschichten.' by Stephen King-

message 17: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (ttakats) "It's a very distinct cocktail of impotence, loneliness, and a sudden stark assessment of your non-worth to society"

-This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don’t Touch It by David Wong

message 18: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (jesireads) | 34 comments -door, and wondered what they thought of their strange duties.

Sabriel by Garth Nix

message 19: by Nono (new)

Nono (PinkPanthress) | 1103 comments "Done what before?" said Ainsley.

-'The Edible Woman' by Margaret Atwood-

message 20: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessikareads) "...yet, the instant I listened again, there was the doleful cry moaning on!"

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

message 21: by Marie (new)

Marie (fyeahmarie) | 18 comments “Alongside it in a strict row, Mom had planted the pansy seedlings she’d grown in paper milk cartons.”

Excerpt From: Erdrich, Louise. “The Round House.”

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather | 50 comments "Olivia saw a tiny foot appear and kick away the sheet"

The House by Princes Park by Maureen Lee

message 23: by Nono (new)

Nono (PinkPanthress) | 1103 comments "Zu diesem Artikel für die Zeitschrift soundso brauche ich noch unbedingt einen kleinen 'Kick'..."

-'Bestellungen beim Universum. Ein Handbuch zur Wunscherfüllung' by Bärbel Mohr-

message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan | 15 comments "street, and the possessive gentleness of their touch as they handled them."

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (TessaBookConcierge) | 1359 comments "Samuel Hammond was a small man who had just come back from the war."
The Color of Lightning by Paulette Jiles

(the war mention is the Civil War)

message 26: by Anne (new)

Anne | 611 comments "It was morning in Harlem, and mornings belonged to the numbers runners."
The Diviners by Libba Bray

message 27: by Holly (new)

Holly (hfb1) | 4 comments "Some had domes and columned porticoes, like national monuments."

The Son of Neptune, Rick Riordan

message 28: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya (Yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments A half hour later six of the eight tables were occupied by corpses awaiting autopsies.

Contagion by Robin Cook

message 29: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 6030 comments ... will never know what I wished to tell you.

City of Fallen Angels - Cassandra Clare

message 30: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (maricari90) | 365 comments Her mother would have allowed her to refuse, but her mother was nearly a hundred miles away.

Ten Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn

message 31: by Nono (new)

Nono (PinkPanthress) | 1103 comments "Was ist Eleganz?
Eleganz ist eine Form von Harmonie, die der Schönheit gleicht, mit dem Unterschied, dass Letztere ein Geschenk der Natur ist und Ersteres ein Ergebnis der Kunst."

-'Elégance' by Kathleen Tessaro-Elégance

message 32: by Linda (last edited Jul 21, 2013 01:42PM) (new)

Linda | 6 comments He didn't even know if he was left- or right-handed.

American Assassin
Author - Vince Flynn

American Assassin (Mitch Rapp, #1) by Vince Flynn

message 33: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (Sanlema) "But just as he was about to retrace his steps, he smelt it again."

The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise by Julia Stuart (large print edition)

message 34: by Sue (new)

Sue (suefloyd) | 642 comments "Malheureusement, non." We must wait until the check had been cleared, a delay of four or five days, even though it was drawn on a local bank.

A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle

message 35: by Kyly (new)

Kyly (Mermaid121) moms reception of the news that i`m getting married is much warmer than grans.
Queen of babble gets Hitched By: Meg Cabot

message 36: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 511 comments " It was an improbability akin to two identical snowflakes that this whey faced leporine man could have sprung from the same genetic pool as the bronze-skinned,colt-limbed,diamond-cut beauty that had been Lula Landry."
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

message 37: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (Sanlema) "She could strive for perfection only in certain, few things; beyond that, it was important only to be tidy."

The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin

message 38: by Kay (new)

Kay | 4 comments "Corky, I took it, was telephoning."
-My Man Jeeves, P. G. Wodehouse

message 39: by Rida (last edited Aug 10, 2013 11:39PM) (new)

Rida Ahmed Sajid "Yes, an illustrious career."
The Book Thief The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

message 40: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Galicki | 15 comments "One year, and then I'll force it."

Something about Riley - Henrietta Clark

message 41: by Scott (new)

Scott | 107 comments So that was the set and match.

Smilla's Sense of Snow - Peter Hoeg

message 42: by Nono (new)

Nono (PinkPanthress) | 1103 comments "Vielleicht war es nur ein Aberglaube, daß man das
Herz treffen mußte?

-'Ich bin Legende' - I Am Legend by Richard Matheson by Richard Matheson-

message 43: by Book Concierge (last edited Aug 14, 2013 02:13PM) (new)

Book Concierge (TessaBookConcierge) | 1359 comments "She patted his bulging stomach."

Off the Menu - Christine Son

message 44: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (TessaBookConcierge) | 1359 comments "And, in so intense a moment, his demeanour would have still been calm."

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

message 45: by Sue (new)

Sue (suefloyd) | 642 comments "All signs to the contrary."

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

message 46: by Whitney (new)

Whitney 'Thompson' Jenkins (whitney210) | 452 comments "He looked exasperated enough to throttle me, so I stopped walking and gave him a small smile."

Cloche and Dagger by Jenn McKinlay

message 47: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 1854 comments "The only window was covered with a drape."

A List of Offences by Dilruba Z. Ara

message 48: by Rida (new)

Rida Ahmed Sajid "No dear. Everyone who is eligible still has nine days to submit their application"
The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass

message 49: by Sue (new)

Sue (suefloyd) | 642 comments "He kissed her sweat-drenched head and waled out the door."

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

message 50: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1228 comments Leonine felt her limbs tire as fatigue took hold, but she kept running, running, until she could go no further.

Sepulchre by Kate Mosse

« previous 1