Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Distinct volumes with the same ISBN

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lukasz (new)

Lukasz (sowa) | 8 comments Hi, I need some help with adding the book. The book is split into two volumes (This is Verne's Mysterious Island) and it's called simply Volume 1 and Volume 2. Both have the same ISBN. Yet, I read in the instructions:
These items are books:
* multiple distinct volumes (sold together as a set with one ISBN)
Shall I add these two books as one or rather two distinc books and only add a librarian note about the reused ISBN?

Second question, how would you title it? Shall I use the title: Mysterious Island (Mysterious Island, #1) and the same with #2 ? It's not like the series rather one book split in two with the same ISBN.

Thanks for help in advance.

message 2: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 22, 2012 01:56PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments I would note in edition field "Two volume set". Title should be "Mysterious Island" if single book broken into two volumes. If contains just that book versus other books in that Extraordinary Voyages series.

If contains other books, note "2 volume omnibus" in edition field, numbers for book titles correctly in series and in title list all book titles separated by space-slash-space.

message 3: by Lukasz (new)

Lukasz (sowa) | 8 comments Thanks Debbie. Now, it's clear for me. What about the book which is split into two volumes but they have different ISBNs? I'm talking about the edition of "The Three Musketeers" I owe and want to add. Shall I add them separately and note in edition field e.g. Volume 1 and the same with the 2nd and combine them both with other editions which are one-volume editions?

message 4: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 29, 2012 12:59AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments Uh oh. I'm not positive about that one. So I'd let some more librarian comments weigh in.

What I think (again, if I encountered I'd be over posting questions in this group just like you did) is that if there are two isbn numbers then each part/volume gets entered as a book. Because each part not the whole book, do not combine with the complete book single editions. I would note in description and librarian note that one edition is part one of isbn ##### and the other part 2 of isbn ##### plus make it clear in titles.

I have seen examples where a single book gets translated into multi-parts and there's often a librarian note to not combine with the single book version.

The librarian manual, if I read correctly, just says that multi volume sets are books. The clearest thread I found says I'm right; pieces/parts of books with distinctive isbn's do not combine with the whole book editions; I'm just questioning myself because it's a much older thread at http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (mwelser) | 180 comments Debbie R. wrote: "What I think (again, if I encountered I'd be over posting questions in this group just like you did) is that if there are two isbn numbers then each part/volume gets entered as a book."

Absolutely supported. Yes. And never combine with possible editions which carry both parts in one volume.

message 6: by Lukasz (new)

Lukasz (sowa) | 8 comments This makes sense, thanks a lot for your help.

message 7: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 129 comments OK, I think my issue is similar to this, but I'm not clear by reading the comments above how to treat it.

I have volume 14 of the Dictionary of Literary Biography. This volume is split into two separate hardcover books, a part 1 (a-g) and a part 2 (h-z). I was beginning the process of entering them as separate books on Goodreads, since each book lists an ISBN. Upon closer inspection, however, I realized the ISBN is the same, and the page numbering continues (so part 2 starts with page 377).

Does this mean that I should enter it as one entry on Goodreads, but note in the edition field that it's a 2-book set?

Additionally, there's a combined table of contents that's printed in both books, but the contributor list at the back of the books are specific to that particular part. (So about 40 separate contributors for each part.)

Here's the entry so far: Dictionary of Literary Biography, Vol. 14: British Novelists Since 1960, Part 1: A-G

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Jan 13, 2017 11:08AM) (new)

rivka | 32443 comments Mod
Andréa wrote: "Does this mean that I should enter it as one entry on Goodreads, but note in the edition field that it's a 2-book set?"

Yes, as it implies they were probably sold as a set, not as individual books.

Also, it's usually best to start a new thread, rather than bumping one several years old.

message 9: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 129 comments rivka wrote: "Yes, as it implies they were probably sold as a set, not as individual books.

Also, it's usually best to start a new thread, rather than bumping one several years old."

Thank you, rivka! My apologies; I thought it was best to find a pre-existing thread that discusses an issue rather than starting a new one.

message 10: by HniezdneLibrary (new)

HniezdneLibrary | 2 comments Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) wrote: "I would note in edition field "Two volume set". Title should be "Mysterious Island" if single book broken into two volumes. If contains just that book versus other books in that Extraordinary Voyag..."

What about number of pages? Should I just put in the sum of both books number of pages?