Chick Lit discussion

Marion Keyes

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Osterkamp | 2 comments I have read all of her books and love them! I am currently reading Anybody Out There?...

Are any of you fans? And if so, why? I love that she's written about sisters; she seems to really love her characters and is objective about them at the same time.

If anyone else is a fan, please let me know.

Happy New Year!

message 2: by Jann (new)

Jann | 17 comments I have read anything of hers I can get my hands on. The thing about her books is that they are warm, wonderful and very funny books, but they deal with some deep issues--female image, eating disorder. I think Anybody Out There is her most recent and it is from summer 06 so she may be ready to publish a new one soon.

message 3: by KrisT (new)

KrisT I have read quite a few of her books and I think the reason I like her is because I really think her books have meat to them. She has real relationships that I felt I could have and real situations I could be in. Not so much of the fluff and more real to me.

message 4: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (klippy) I have not read any of her books although I have heard so many people rave about them. Which one should I read first??

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephindenver) | 2 comments Love her - like Jann, I read anything of hers that I can. I love that her characters aren't perfect; they could be you or someone you know.

My favorites of hers are Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married and Other Side of the Story.

As for her other books, I love the relationship between the Walsh family, and that one book refers to something that may have happened in a previous book.

Kaye, start with Watermelon - it was the first.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked Watermelon & Angels..but I didnt really like anything else by her. I was bored by Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married..and Rachel's Holiday made me mad. I do wanna read Anybody Out There though.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan | 5 comments I'm a huge fan, I always have trouble waiting for her books to go to paperback. I loved anyone out there, but I think my favorite is Rachels Holiday. I think shes so great because her characters are so real, you can identify with the women's line of thinking or else you know someone who is like them. I love the ones about the sisters, they are so quirky and weird, it would make anyone's family look "normal" in comparison. I'm hoping she has a new one soon too, maybe '08 or '09?!

message 8: by Denise (new)

Denise | 29 comments Mod
I think the only one I did not like was Sushi for Beginners. The protagonist was too unlikeable for my tastes. Otherwise, I have enjoyed her books; especially Angels.

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I love everything by Marian Keyes. I wish she'd put out something new soon.

message 10: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 19 comments I love Marian Keyes but wasn't as crazy about "Anybody Out There." It annoyed me that she changed the character so much from the other books-it was just too drastic for me. "Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married" and "Rachel's Holiday" are my favorites.

message 11: by Brooke (new)

Brooke I have only read Watermelon but I liked it. My library has a few others but they are always checked out. But I will definitely be reading more of her books.

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Green (angel_andie) | 9 comments I love marian keyes novels, i'm not mad on her short stories. As far as I know she's supposed to release a book early this year and I cant wait!

message 13: by Keris (new)

Keris (kerisstainton) Hew new book, This Charming Man (a whopping 210,000 words!) is out in the UK in May and the US in June.

More details here http://mariankeyes.com/books/thisChar...

Plus if you don't receive her newsletter, you should sign up - it's hilarious!

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim Marian Keyes is one of my FAVORITE chick lit authors. I write her book release dates on my calendar, and set reminders on my email calendar :) Feels like forever since Anybody Out There came out!

Really looking forward to This Charming Man! :)

Looks to be another one of the novels not a part of the "sister series" :)

Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married and Last Chance Saloon are my 2 favorites by MK!

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate | 2 comments I just started "Save Karyn" by Karyn Bosnak this morning. Very cute, seems quite similar to the Shopaholic series but American main character. I like it so far though and am about 40 pages in. Anyone else read this?

message 16: by Keris (new)

Keris (kerisstainton) I've read it twice, Kate! Love it. Karyn Bosnak's got a novel too (called 20 Times A Lady) and a very funny blog.

message 17: by Becca (new)

Becca (becca2) | 16 comments I absolutely adore Marian Keyes! I cannot wait for her new release here in the States.

message 18: by Meagan (new)

Meagan | 3 comments I love Marian Keyes. "Anybody Out There?" made me cry like a baby. I think it was my favourite book. Has she written a book about the youngest sister, is it Helen? The one who is a private eye? That character and the mom make me laugh out loud!

message 19: by Samara (new)

Samara Marian Keyes is definitely my fave chick lit author! I'm never disappointed with her books, I started with Sushi For Beginners and I think it's still my favourite of hers. I can't for the new one to come out!