Happily Ever After Book Club discussion

Book & Poll Discussions > Book Chat-Someone Else's Fairytale

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 166 comments Mod
Today is the day to start our book discussion. I want to know the first word that comes into your mind when you think of this book? Then I would love your thoughts. Ready...go!!

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy * Bookworm Nation | 629 comments Mod
Deb- I totally dropped the ball and didn't read this one. So the word that comes to mind for me is... Slacker! :) I still plan to read it, it just might take awhile. Hope everyone enjoyed it though and I'm excited to see what everyone has to say about it. Also, we'll be posting Decembers choices soon.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie W | 187 comments Mod
Unbelievable. Wow--I have so many thoughts on this book--some good and some not so good. I read your review Deborah, and agree that I didn't know who I was cheering on at first and I really didn't think it would end up the way it did. I've always wondered how I would act if I met a real celebrity--would I be shy? Silly? Treat him like a superstar or like a normal person? I like how Chloe was able to stay true to herself and not get caught up in the Hollywood lifestyle. She stayed true to her values and didn't let the pressure get to her. Yet, it was unbelievable to me that she didn't care about his past at all. She never felt insecure, especially during that time when they didn't talk. I was fascinated by the story and yet got a little tired of all the drama and sex talk. Overall, I really did enjoy it though. I read to escape and I'm sure we all (at one time or another in our lives) have had a dream of having something like this happen to us. Haha. I'm sure I'll have some more thoughts as I process it--I just finished it. :)

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Katie, I totally agree. It was a weird book for me to rate. I did kind of enjoy it. I just didn't know what I was suppose to root for. Also, I agree that it would make me so uncomfortable to be with someone with the history that he had. I totally believe that people can start over and that everyone gets a second chance. I just don't know if I could truly be comfortable with that. That has to do with just my core beliefs and is not a judgement on anyone's choices. I also wonder how I would really act if I met a celebrity? That's a great question. How would you act?

Kath...you get better and enjoy the rest of us critique this one. ;-)

For those who missed out and our curious here is my rant/review:

First things first. I had NO CLUE which guy I was suppose to root for. Did we want the hot actor or didn't we? Was I suppose to root for the best friend or not? I HAD NO IDEA. That is kind of a pet peeve in my book. For over the first quater of the book I was conviced that we were suppose to like Matthew(the best friend). Then all of a sudden he acts like a complete jerk and I was totally thrown. She also kept saying how funny looking the hot actor was(sorry I have completly blanked his name). I mean she said he had fake tanned skin, his teeth were too white and she kept bringing up how moisturized he was. I was just kind of turned off.

Second, what was with the major downer of her having "the incident" 11 years ago. It was way too intense for this book. I also thought the way everyone acted about it was kind of weird. Yes, it's a miracle she survived and she was very brave, but there was really no need for it to even be a part of the book. I felt like I was reading two different books. At some points I felt like the author just wanted to have a couple different stories going on at the same time and just combined them.

Third, so her and the hot actor get together. She doesn't talk to him for a month and then she all of a sudden realizes she is in love with him. Really? Nothing about this story was very believable. I know it's a story and I know it's a way to escape, but it has to have some sort of warm feeling when you are reading about two people falling in love. I never got that. I felt awkward.

Lastly, what was with the the hot actor freezing her out towards the end and being in cohoots with his step-niece. Again it was weird. We find out why everyone was acting weird, but it was just so over the top. I also didn't like the CONSTANT inuendo about pre-martial relations. I find this topic sacred and I don't think it should be so belittled.

I think that might be it for my rant. The one positive note I will say is that it kept me reading. I wanted to know what happened because heaven knew the author was not helping me along.

message 5: by Deborah (new)

BTW: My word is INCONSISTANT

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie W | 187 comments Mod
That's a great word, Deborah!! I would like to think I'd treat a celebrity just like any normal, regular person, but I don't know if I really could. I agree--my core beliefs are not me judging--they're just who I am. But for her to not even bat an eye or feel insecure or anything...that was just crazy. I know for me, personally, I would feel awkward and insecure for a little while in that given situation, but Chloe showed none of that. I don't know if that's more real or if my feelings are. Maybe I'm the weird one. :)

message 7: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Adams (Marisa_Adams) | 10 comments Okay...so this is my first time participating in the book club. I'm interested to see how the conversation goes.

First off...my one word: conflicted.

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the book. I think I am as conflicted as she was for most of the story.

Positives: I believe the author did a wonderful job constructing characters and events in the first portion of the book. It was easy to picture life in Albuquerque and on the movie set. It was even easy to imagine comfortable evenings between Chloe and Matthews as they relaxed and hung out in her apartment. I also enjoyed the fact that the story kept me reading. For me, that is always the sign of an enjoyable book. (Of course, I wanted to read because I was conflicted!!)

Negatives: The relationship between Chloe and Matthew versus Chloe and Jason had me thoroughly confused. From the blurb on the Amazon page, I knew the couple was supposed to be Jason and Chloe but I just did not feel the connection. One of the things I enjoy most about a romance is the element of actually falling in love - those moments where the love or passion is so palpable it practically jumps off the page. That was missing for me in this book. For the longest time, it did not even seem like she was attracted to Jason. Also, the HEA ending seemed forced to me. I had a hard time completely believing in the two of them.

My other concern is petty but a pet peeve. Why is it that Matthew is a judgmental jerk because of his faith convictions???

I'm interested to see other's thoughts on it.

message 8: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 191 comments Can I hyphenate two words? I'd say: aptly-named.
Like most of the other reviewers, I had mixed feelings about this book. I waffled between whether it's a 3 or 4 star book to me, and could never reach a conclusion.
The way Jason treated her was incredibly sweet, yet it was hard to reconcile that Jason with his salacious past.
I felt like Chloe made decisions that were in character, yet I found it hard to relate to her. Especially when she declared herself in love with her best friend, instead of seeing how much better Jason treated her.
I guess I kept feeling like the story was not for me, yet I liked Chloe's perspective on dating a movie star, and how grounded she stayed.
My reaction is probably best encompassed in the words, "I liked _______, but..."

message 9: by Sharon (last edited Nov 21, 2012 09:30PM) (new)

Sharon | 81 comments I read this book at the first of the month and couldn't remember all of it so I had to read everyone's reviews before I commented.
I think Matthew made a better best friend than someone she could have a deeper relationship with. I appreciated he had a conviction to his faith but then he professed to be "Christian" but he did not treat her as if he were. I also thought it was kind of strange he was making out with her and then didn't speak to her for awhile and then told her she shouldn't be gettting involved with Jason. Too conflicted.

Next I just have such a hard time with characters who "fall in love over night." Especially with someone they cannot stand. And have nothing in common with.

I had a question about how someone can be falling in love with someone else and go to a movie set and read or study or whatever while the person you have feelings for is filming a naked sex scene like it was nothing. But I am old and old fashioned. So maybe it's ok these days. Does that sound to harsh? And what was with his co-star running around half naked in his apartment when Chloe first got to New York??

Overall the book did have some good spots but it's not something I will read again.

message 10: by Teryn (new)

Teryn | 120 comments I had some of the same feelings right after I finished the book. Couldn't decide if I liked it or not. It was very different than I expected. (It has been a while since I read this book, and can't remember details) After a little while I kept thinking about it and looked back and thought, yeah, there are some good messages in it. I ended up really liking it. It definitely would be for older YA(with parental discussion) or adult.

message 11: by Deborah (new)

I just have to AMEN what you all are saying.

Marisa I loved your word and I too was totally conflicted. I was having the same issues. I just kept thinking "well there is no way they can be falling in love because she thinks he looks funny." Yet they did. Conflicted was a great word.

Jessie, I also agree that it can be summed up in "I liked it, but_____________" It just had too many pet peeves for me and yet I kept reading.

Sharon, I do not think that your age has anything to do with Class. I also think that there was just something off about the fact that he had all this history, naked women in his room and many love scenes all while he is falling in love. It just doesn't add up to me.

Teryn, I agree that this is an older YA book. There really were some cute parts that kept me reading.

message 12: by Tiffany (last edited Nov 27, 2012 01:51PM) (new)

Tiffany | 19 comments First I have to admit I enjoyed the first 80% of the book. I really liked Jason and liked them getting together. My hyphenated word I will use to describe this book is LACK-OF-CHEMISTRY. I have to admit I love clean books but I want a kick to them. I want some steamy chemistry and some books like Edenbrook do a wonderful job with that. Even though I liked Jason there was a lack of chemistry before hand and then the little that might have been there seemed to dwindle to almost nothing.

Despite this I still really enjoyed the story. It made me smile often! I love that in a book. If it only had better chemistry it would have been an absolute great read for me.

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy * Bookworm Nation | 629 comments Mod
After reading everyone's comments, I'm kinda glad I skipped this one.

message 14: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjincali78) | 169 comments Mod
Kathy... I am right there with you. After talking to my aunt I knew it was going to be painful to read and I just couldn't force myself to do it! O_o

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth Fred (goodreadscomBeth) | 11 comments I did identify with Chloe but found the way she dealt with her mother and maybe even men inconsistent w/ her character. It seems like someone who lived through what she did should have more vulnerability. She could still be strong, but I would think telling her mom how wrong she was would be hard.

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth Fred (goodreadscomBeth) | 11 comments Oh--I called this book "cute" but had a hard time rating it too. I finished it Monday and waited until today to write review.

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth Fred (goodreadscomBeth) | 11 comments Tiffany wrote: "First I have to admit I enjoyed the first 80% of the book. I really liked Jason and liked them getting together. My hyphenated word I will use to describe this book is LACK-OF-CHEMISTRY. I have ..."

I agree it could have had more chemistry. I thought this was cute, and still didn't love it. I couldn't put my finger on it, but now that you mention it...