Savidge Reads discussion

The Sense of an Ending
This topic is about The Sense of an Ending
Barnes' The Sense of an Ending

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nadyne | 3 comments I've started this book yesterday and am loving it. I think the writing is great, it is as if Barnes is sitting next to me and telling me this story.
I heard this book has gotten much critique, but I can't remember what exactly. Did any one of you read it. And if so, did you love it, like it, or 'hate' it, and why is that?

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lee (leedenton_) Yep, I've read it, and (unfortunately) it is my least favourite book of the last 12 months. I found it all rather self indulgent, bland, and all in all not very engaging. I liken it to picking up someone's diary and none of it really making much sense.

When I finished it, which was a grind, my lasting impression was "what was the point in that then?"...

Eric I read it a year ago and loved it. The main pleasure was its ambiguity. What happened forty years before? Theories abound.

Nadyne | 3 comments I think I especially like the "errors" of the memory, I guess that happens to everyone of us, whether we like it or not.

Dawn I'm with Lee. I wouldn't call how I felt about it "hate" - but I certainly didn't enjoy it at all. It just didn't engage or interest me much. Maybe I'd heard too much hype before I read it, I'm not sure. I just know that I was a little annoyed and wanted my time back.

Jennifer (jentwist) | 1 comments And I'm with Eric :-) I thought there was a lot left open to interpretation - in a good way. This book had me racing to the discussion boards to see if other people thought the same thing happened that I did. There were quite a few theories - some I hadn't even considered.

I'm actually planning to reread it this weekend for a bookclub discussion next week so I'll probably have more to say on the subject after I reread it.

Jana (Jazziegirl2010) | 1 comments I'm in the "loved it" camp. I read it a second time for my book group and found that it was most helpful.

Chris Another in the loved it camp, and I too raced online to see if I could find some explanation. I thought Barnes was quite crafty in his writing; I thought it was a deceptively simple story. I've wanted to reread it again, and would love to have it for my book club!

message 9: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (akingman) My favorite novel of last year! I've read it twice, and may read it again soon, because I can't stop thinking about it.

Sylvie (SylvieW) I liked it quite a bit. I can see how it might be boring or frustrating to read, but I loved how it got me thinking about how I present myself and my history/memories to other people. For that reason, I think it is a book that one appreciates more when one is a bit older.

Nose in a book (Kate) (Nose_in_a_book) | 1 comments I'm in the dislike camp. I didn't feel that how the characters behaved added up with what had happened and I found the overall conceit of "sometimes we misremember stuff" incredibly unoriginal.

message 12: by Lee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lee (leedenton_) See, just from the comments I've read here I feel like I missed something in this book. Perhaps a re-read is in the offing??

message 13: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I"m probably one of the few people who have never read this one. I still don't have a desire to. :)

Lynsey Dalladay (lynseydalladay) | 1 comments I'm in the totally lost interest group, even with such a short book I only read half of it put it down somewhere in my house and only remembered I was reading it when I had read three other books.

Nadyne | 3 comments I finished the book yesterday and I was intrigued with the story, and with the ending. I'll have to re-read this one very soon. In my review I included some blogposts about the book, so if you're interested, you can always check them out:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
It really seems to be a book that people feel different about. Either you love it, or you don't. But I guess that's only normal.
Thanks for your reactions, folks.

message 16: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 1 comments I still haven't read this. I need to read it soon - it seems to have gotten so many mixed reviews, I feel like I need to find out why!

message 17: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (bagambo) I have this book on my TBR list, but after reading some reviews of it, I'm debating taking it off my list. Not sure if its my cup of tea.

message 18: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric It's not a book for people who like to have everything spelled out for them. It's for people that like to delve into things a bit, figure things out, really lock horns with a book.

message 19: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 1 comments I just got the book for Christmas and I am looking forward to reading it this year!