She-Geeks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Star Wars Novels

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tempest (new)

Tempest (StormSiren) | 1 comments Hello Ladies,
I love star wars, well the original movies atleast and the games. As much as i hate to admit, I have never read the novels. I'm not sure how that happened but I'm planning to remedy that. There are so many books out there now. Can anyone recommend a good starting place?

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat (KatsObsession) | 66 comments The Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin were the first ones I read. They are awesome. Very well written, and fascinating.

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat (KatsObsession) | 66 comments Also any of the ones by Timothy Zahn.

The Courtship of Princess Leia is good too.

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Blackmar (lynnblackmar) I also recommend the Courtship of Princess Leia to start, though the other two suggestions are great. The Courtship of Princess Leia is right after the trilogy, so if you want to start reading chronologically, that is the best place to start.

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat (KatsObsession) | 66 comments The Han Solo Trilogy is right before the original movie trilogy, it's like what was happening during the prequel trilogy. I love it, it's an awesome insight into Solo and Chewie's relationship. And why his last name is Solo.

message 6: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Kramer | 19 comments I particularly loved the two written by Barbara Hambly: Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight.

message 7: by Janelle (new)

Janelle | 4 comments Do yourself a favor and read the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. I usually don't read books based on Star Wars but this series was truly epic. It starts with "Heir to the Empire", "Dark Force Rising", and "The Last Command". It's set five years after the events of Return of the Jedi.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) And take a break between all the trilogies, series within a series, maybe check publication dates and seperate out by decade written. Don't expect, with all the different authors, to be real consistent quality or even to have a clear chronology to follow until the last few (I think still ongoing) series.

Overall, if I liked an author's other novels, I liked their Star Wars novels as well (I particularly liked A.C. Crispin, R.A. Salvatore although I did not like what he did with one plot twist, and Timothy Zahn).

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara G. Tarn (BarbaraGTarn) | 75 comments I second Kat's suggestions - the Han Solo trilogy and the Timothy Zhan trilogy. I have read also the Lando Calrissian adventures, but can't remember much of it - all these reads are years old, LOL! Showing my age again, I guess...

message 10: by Renee (last edited Jan 24, 2013 07:10AM) (new)

Renee (renerd) | 20 comments Read Tales from Jabba's Palace, I just finished it and its great. It gives you the backstories of a pile of characters who were around during Return of the Jedi; the stories will give you a taste of many different writers, including Zahn, so you can see how you like their styles. I haven't read the Crispin books yet but I'm so psyched to now! Looking forward to hear what you think of these!Star Wars: Tales from Jabba's Palace

message 11: by Belinda (new)

Belinda If you haven't read the original Episodes I highly recommend them. I would even go so far as to condone Episodes I, II and III, even if you didn't care for the movies. I think they do a pretty good explaining Anakin's character and why he was such whiney-b*tch. Lol But any of the above recommendations are good! The series covers so many different genres too, so depending on what genres you like to read outside of SW, can help narrow down what to read in SW...(Like
Death Troopers is horror, Star Wars: Tatooine Ghost is more mystery, etc.)

Hope that helps!

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee (renerd) | 20 comments Belinda wrote: "If you haven't read the original Episodes I highly recommend them. I would even go so far as to condone Episodes I, II and III, even if you didn't care for the movies. I think they do a pretty good..."

Haha, Anakin IS such an emo little teen dude. That cracked me up. :D I actually liked most of those films (despite the issues), but now I'll definitely read the books too.

message 13: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Awesome! III was the hardest to appreciate, even as a book (I don't even think I finished it...). But Attack of the Clones is a lot easier to watch after I read the book! ...I love Phantom Menace though, I confess. Even Jar Jar sometimes. haha.

message 14: by Marnee (new)

Marnee (starsandchocolate) | 16 comments Thanks for all the recommendations ladies, I have always hesitated to read any Star Wars or Star Trek books because I'm so attached to the movies/series. The only time I've read a Star Wars book was with my son, we read The Force Unleashed by Sean Williams together - at the time, I didn't realize it was a popular video game, but I liked that one also. It is placed kind of between the movie trilogies when Darth Vader is killing off all the remaining Jedi's. I liked it, but I was reading it with an 8 year old, so....

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin | 44 comments I agree with The Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin, they're fantastic. Also the New Jedi Order series. I got the Star Wars Essential Readers Guide for Christmas, since I've been skipping around with the books (and it's been awhile since I've read them). It has most of the books published to date, basic plot outlines and main characters so if you don't understand a reference you can look it up. It also has the comic books.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.