Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > Book ratings stats not updating

Comments (showing 1-50 of 84) (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I've noticed for all of my books that the ratings graph isn't updating after several days. Usually when I receive a new rating, the graph updates after a few days. Now it seems stuck. The number of ratings will go up, and the star average will change, but the graph stays the same.

I know you can click on "edit details" and "refresh book ratings stats," but I was under the impression you weren't meant to do this very often. I've never had to in the past, I just waited a few days. Now, after more than a week, the graphs can be stuck.

Is this just me? Are the ratings graphs updating as usual for everyone else? Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.

Thanks, Mona

message 2: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Emily | 2115 comments Mod
Mona wrote: "I know you can click on "edit details" and "refresh book ratings stats," but I was under the impression you weren't meant to do this very often. I've never had to in the past, I just waited a few days. Now, after more than a week, the graphs can be stuck."

Sometimes the book rating stats just need to be refreshed. I refreshed Myriad and High Witch for you; are you able to refresh the stats for the other titles, or would you like me to do so?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Emily. I can refresh the states for the other titles myself. I just thought this was a bug, because I never had to do that before, and now it seems like I need to do it all the time. But it's not a big deal - I'll wait a week after I get new ratings, and if the graph hasn't updated I'll just refresh them.

Thanks, Mona

message 4: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

It does seem a little odd that your stats aren't automatically refreshing, so let us know if you have any more issues!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

This problem is still happening, and from viewing other people's posts in various forums I can see it's happening to others, too. The ratings graph doesn't seem to update for some books anymore, except when the author or a Goodreads Librarian refreshes the stats.

Below are two books where the ratings graph hasn't updated for quite a while:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...

Even though this isn't a priority, I think it should be acknowledged that something's changed, because the graph used to update on its own. I look at the graph all the time to see how people are rating a book, and it's really annoying to find it empty or really outdated.

message 6: by AH (new)

AH | 921 comments I'm seeing empty ratings graphs as well.

message 7: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 05, 2012 12:14PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments In case a screenshot helps—to refresh book ratings manually, edit your book ("edit details" choice on book page), and at right roughly midway down is the refresh option.

screenshot to refresh book ratings

(I think if you are author of book you now also have an option to set the primary edition ; I'm not so can't show—only differences on your author screen I believe will be additional options)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Debbie. Yes, the only difference for an author looking at their own book is an additional option to set the book as the primary addition:

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments @Mona, thanks for that screenshot!

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) | 433 comments I've refreshed the stats for this book but the rating details is still not being populated. Any ideas?

message 11: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12265 comments Mod
It took a minute for the rating details to load for me, but they did load.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) | 433 comments They still aren't loading for me. Even the little graph icon is not loading. It works fine on other books so that's pretty strange. Is anyone else able to see the details?

message 13: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 12, 2012 07:35PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments It's not working when I view either but I will try to refresh for you. *sigh* it either still did not work or is taking its own sweet time to update.

message 14: by Komal (new)

Komal (k0k0) Ok, so I should be on the right page here. As Moderatrix Lori said, the rating details aren't updating.
As a normal user, I don't think I have the option to 'refresh book rating stats.'
I've encountered this problem with a couple of books today and here's the most recent example:

It's not a major problem but the feature greatly helps me determine the response of readers towards a book so it'd be awesome if someone can work out these errors.

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Kelling (lynn_kelling) | 1 comments Apologies if this isn't the correct place to post this. I'm a Goodreads author and the ratings details for my books have not refreshed in several weeks. It's giving me an error message when I try to refresh them myself because I do not yet have 50 books shelved.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 16: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 17, 2012 03:10PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments I'll do for you; but, requests to get thungs done/added/fixed to books do belong in library group :) — librarians not always on this thread. Usually you'll want to post at http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...

Good grief, I see why you asked. One of those went from 11 to over 100.

Message 14 either broke again or no one refreshed because wasn't requested in librarian group. So I did just one more but the librarian group is where you ask for a librarian to step in and do the things they can; this group to report bugs and suggest features.

message 17: by Stefani (last edited Dec 17, 2012 03:06PM) (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 453 comments Lynn wrote: "Apologies if this isn't the correct place to post this. I'm a Goodreads author and the ratings details for my books have not refreshed in several weeks. It's giving me an error message when I try t..."

Refreshed the first, refreshing the second now.

Done.

Edit: In the future, you can post in the GR Librarians Group, someone there would be happy to help and might get noticed quicker then here in feedback.

message 18: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 453 comments Debbie (Debbie Rice) wrote: "I'll do for you; but, requests to get thungs done/added/fixed to books do belong in library group :) — librarians not always on this thread. Usually you'll want to post at http://www.goodreads.co..."

I think we were both doing the same thing at the same time :)

message 19: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 17, 2012 03:14PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments While this bug is ongoing, if you are an author and can refresh yourself, remember to do twice.

If you post in librarian group, might not hurt to remind them that over in the feedbacks group it is a known bug and that it does need to get refreshed twice (once clears ratings and the second refresh actually refreshes them). Not impossible a librarian gets your request and doesn't read back thru both group's threads to see that there's something wrong because they already know how to refresh ratings.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

This is still happening. I browse the site a lot to look at different books, and notice the ratings stats are out of date, or a lot of the time, there's just a blank box. I see it every day. I'm not a Goodreads librarian so I can't fix it, and I don't really want to post a massive list of books whose stats need refreshing in the librarian's group.

Any word from GR staff as to what's happening with fixing this? Also, the problem where you have to refresh the stats twice is still happening, so it's really two bugs. It just makes browsing the site much less fun when you can't see how people have rated something overall.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments 3 bugs; even librarians sporadically getting error message about having to be a librarian. Although all just possibly a cache issue that needs to be fixed.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

The problem has been around for quite a while, though. I just want someone from GR staff to update us to the progress of fixing it. It may just be a cache issue, but I still want an update, because I haven't heard anything from them in ages. Thanks for letting us know about the third bug :)

message 23: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Jan 07, 2013 06:19AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments Not cache issue as in clear your own browser cache — cache issue as in they are having trouble with how the various site features on goodreads are caching their data stats. Goodreads database cache.

(*shudders with bad flashbacks* to all the help requests at facebook and other sites that were always answered with "clear your cache" or "clear your flash cache" whether or not related)

Sorry for not making that wording clear, I do know better— goodreads cache issues nothing local to your devices or browsers or anything a member can clear/refresh/fix by fixing their own caches.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I knew what you meant, Debbie :) I knew you meant Goodreads cache issue. My point was it's a big problem, and I want to know if it will be fixed soon. I just find it so annoying! A bug where the site won't update properly is a pretty bad bug.

message 25: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

I just updated the ticket for you. I'm sorry that it took awhile for a response!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks so much, Emily.

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 1072 comments Still happening. I've refreshed Drive Me Wild (The Others, #7) by Christine Warren several times and whilst book ratings went up by 20 or 30 the ratings details are blank.

message 28: by AH (new)

AH | 921 comments This one is also blank - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...

Elizabeth (Alaska) I fixed them Sandra and AH. To librarians in this thread, for some reason the process needs to be done twice: I think once to clear the wrong stats, which is when they become zero across the board, and then once to establish them. Sometimes it seems as if there needs to be a little time between the two refreshes.

message 30: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Mason (JamieMason) | 3 comments Do you have to be a librarian to refresh the stats on your own books? I'm a bit confused about the permissions for this.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

You don't need to be a librarian to refresh the stats on your own books. You just go to "edit details" on your book's page (near the blurb) and click on "refresh book ratings stats" (mid right of the page). Sometimes an author will get an error message saying they need to be a librarian to do this, but that's just a bug. In that case, go to the librarian's group and ask someone there to refresh the stats.

Note: You always need to refresh the stats twice in a row. For some reason doing it once won't stick once you leave your book's page. Sorry if I'm saying stuff you already know - I just wanted to make things clear :)

message 32: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Mason (JamieMason) | 3 comments No, I appreciate it. I was getting that message about needing to be a librarian and it confused me.

Thanks for your help!

message 33: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Jan 16, 2013 08:15AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments No, you don't need to be a librarian. Do need to be a goodreads author. Screen shots of where to click to refresh shows back in messages 7 & 8. Might have to refresh more than once.

message 34: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 22 comments Just to add some specific info:

I'm seeing the same problem; first noticed it with books not yet published, where the number of ratings (very low, thus easy to count) and the stats numbers don't match. The reviews at the bottom do not show the correct counts in the filters BUT if you click on any of the star ratings filters, the reviews DO come up correctly. As a librarian, I refreshed the books stats on several books with incorrect stats today. One refresh fixed the problem on each.

Also found it on the book The Emperor's Soul. It initially said about 1,400 rating but only showed about 4 dozen in the graph. Directly after refreshing, it shows 2,035 ratings and the correct graph. When I loaded the page again, it shows 2,035 ratings and the graph is blank. The average star rating stayed the same (4.37) the whole time. Refreshing the stats a second time brings up the correct graph, which now stays when I reload the page.

Definitely buggy... would love to see a response on this, since incorrect/out-of-date stats would defeat a major purpose of the site.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I find the first refresh of the stats makes them appear properly, but as soon as you leave the page and go back, the stats are blank. Then you do it a second time, and it sticks. Maybe with some books you only need to refresh them once, but I think with all books it will appear okay at first - it's only after you leave the page that the graph goes blank. It's important that people leave the page after refreshing the stats then go back, to see if it has stuck. If not, refresh them again, and it should be fine.

message 36: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Jan 16, 2013 01:09PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments I'm starting to auto-check any time editing a book; may as well fix while I'm there. So, now I notice when just browsing books.

Might just be a personal perception because I may not have been noticing before; but, it seems to have gotten worse.

(Must be driving the authors who like to stay glued to their stats absolutely bonkers.)

message 37: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Mason (JamieMason) | 3 comments It's an interesting glitch. I still can't refresh the stats for my own book. It still says I need to be a librarian.

Ah, technology...

message 38: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 1072 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I fixed them Sandra and AH. To librarians in this thread, for some reason the process needs to be done twice: I think once to clear the wrong stats, which is when they become zero across the board,..."

Interesting, but I must of refreshed half a dozen times and I left several minutes in between the last couple of times. For that particular book I never had the correct stats come up, it stayed blank. The stats started blank and stayed that way, just the ratings figures updated.

Definitely buggy ;)

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael McCloskey (madbot) | 5 comments I'm an author in the same boat; just slogged through this long thread. I can't update the rating details on my own books, either. I'm not so much posting (to librarians group) to ask my ratings be updated, but I'm more interested in asking (the feedback group), is this issue on a list of items likely be fixed in, say, the next 6 months? Thank you for any information. Obviously in the long run, it is ideal for the ratings to update themselves in some automated background process rather than running to ask for manual updates periodically. But I realize your programmers/engineers must be very busy and all the work is prioritized.

message 40: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 813 comments Michael wrote: "Obviously in the long run, it is ideal for the ratings to update themselves in some automated background process rather than running to ask for manual updates periodically."

I'm pretty sure there is an automated process that updates stats. It just gets stuck sometimes. :[

message 41: by Michael (new)

Michael McCloskey (madbot) | 5 comments I would not have asked but most of my books' ratings details are months out of date. I was hoping to wait for a bug fix rather than go begging the librarians to bail me out repeatedly. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Perhaps the bug that keeps us from updating our own books will prove an easier fix.

message 42: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 1072 comments I refreshed your latest one Michael ;)

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily wrote: "I just updated the ticket for you. I'm sorry that it took awhile for a response!"

I just wanted an update on whether this is likely to be fixed soon. I was refreshing stats of books quite frequently for a while since I became a librarian, but I could do it all day and many books would still have out of date stats. Will this be fixed soon? And will the fix automatically refresh all the outdated figures? That would be cool.

message 44: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

We actually released an early fix for this. Which books in particular are still having trouble?

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

When was the fix released? There are so many books - they are out by sometimes hundreds or even thousands. I didn't keep a list, I just see them and refresh them. I did notice my own books update quickly now, but a lot of books I see are still out of date. Here's one I noticed today, but was too lazy to fix:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

message 46: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 23, 2013 05:43AM) (new)

Emily wrote: "We actually released an early fix for this. Which books in particular are still having trouble?"

All of these books have out of date stats. I can compile a much longer list if you like, but these are books that are on my recent updates page just now.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/81...

I don't know if they'll be updated by the time staff sees them, but as of this post they are out of date.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Bump so staff can see.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Can a staff member please respond to this? The last book on the list now has updated stats but the rest are still good examples. Thanks :)

message 49: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Mona, I really apologize for the delay. We have a couple of tickets floating around for improvements on rating stats, and it looks like I mistakenly referred to the other one in message 44. Let me take a look at the books that you mentioned, and I'll respond ASAP.

message 50: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Okay, so it looks like we released a preliminary fix for newer books whose ratings weren't updating correctly. That seems fine. The books that you linked to here are much more established. We still cache ratings and reviews, so it may look like the stats are out of date when you refresh them. But it's entirely possible that these ratings and reviews were all added in the last day or so.

However, there does seem to be a separate issue with the ratings graphs not populating correctly for books after a refresh. Have you noticed this as well?

« previous 1