Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Books Similar to Star Fisher, by Laurence Yep

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronda (new)

Ronda (thebookdragon) One of my 5th grade girls LOVES this book by Yep and I am looking to find other books that might have the same feel. Any ideas?

message 2: by April Ann (last edited Feb 24, 2009 05:35AM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) Dream Soul is also by Lawrence Yep. Summary: In 1927, as Christmas approaches, fifteen-year-old Joan Lee hopes to get her parents' permission to celebrate the holiday, one of the problems of belonging to the only Chinese American family in her small West Virginia community.
Dream Soul by Laurence Yep

Henry and the Kite Dragon by Bruce Edward Hall. Summary: In New York City in the 1920s, the children from Chinatown go after the children from Little Italy for throwing rocks at the beautiful kites Grandfather Chin makes, not realizing that they have a reason for doing so.
Henry & The Kite Dragon (Irma S and James H Black Honor for Excellence in Children's Literature (Awards)) by Bruce Edward Hall

How It Happened in Peach Hill by Marthe Joycelin. Summary: When fifteen-year-old Annie Grey and her "clairvoyant" mother arrive in Peach Hill, New York, in 1924, each finds a reason for wanting to finally settle down, but to reach their goals they will have to do some serious lying and Annie will have to stand up for herself.
How it Happened in Peach Hill by Marthe Jocelyn

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt. Summary: In 1911, Turner Buckminster hates his new home of Phippsburg, Maine, but things improve when he meets Lizzie Bright Griffin, a girl from a poor, nearby island community founded by former slaves that the town fathers--and Turner's--want to change into a tourist spot.
Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt

message 3: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) Here Lawrence Yep's link on Fantastic Fiction.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/y/l...

message 4: by Ronda (new)

Ronda (thebookdragon) Wow! Thanks guys!

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Not sure what Star Fisher is about but my fourth grader's RL class is reading Dragon's Gate. It's an interesting read so far. Complex plot and situations for a 9-10 year old.