The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Winter 2012-2013 > General Questions

Comments (showing 1-50 of 61) (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Nov 19, 2012 02:43AM) (new)

Sandy | 12663 comments Mod
The Winter Challenge 2012-2013 will begin on December 1, 2012 and will end at midnight (EST) on February 28, 2013. If you have a general question about the Winter 2012-2013 Challenge, please ask here.

The Seasonal Reading Challenge Overview may answer some questions about the challenge process and where things are located in the group discussions.

message 2: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) If I am planning on reading Kindle books for the majority of the challenge, should I post on the thread (to do with kindle reads) the links for them to be acknowledged or just post as normal?

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Fiona (Titch) wrote: "If I am planning on reading Kindle books for the majority of the challenge, should I post on the thread (to do with kindle reads) the links for them to be acknowledged or just post as normal?"

The only thing special about ebooks is that you must get prior approval for page length on any ebooks that don't exist in some paper format. If you are using an ebook for a task that requires a specific number of pages, then you must include a link to the paper version.

See Rules of the Challenge: If you read an ebook, or audiobook use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

message 4: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) If you start a book before the challenge starts, how far into the book would it be ok to be said Read in the Challenge?

*meaning, if I was to start a 575 page book today and got to say p250 by 1st December (UK time), then finished it by 4th December, can I claim the book read within the challenge or would I need to read a bit less?*

message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2956 comments From Rules of the Challenge (link in post #3)
10. Pre-reading: Books longer than 499 pages that were started before the beginning of a challenge can be used to fulfill a task if more than half the book is read during the challenge.
For example, if you were to read 249 pages (or less) of a 500 page book before the start of a challenge, this book would count if it met a task requirement. However, if you had read 250 pages (or more) of a 500 page book before the start of a challenge, this book would not count. Books less than 500 pages should NOT be begun before the start of a challenge.

I think that would mean you can read 287 pages but not 288.

message 6: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Thanks Bea, it's just that I started reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson today and didn't want to go over as it's part of the Winter challenge x

message 7: by Janice (last edited Nov 30, 2012 04:22AM) (new)

Janice  | 563 comments I plan to read My Sister Eileen, in print form, this season. There is no page count for any of the editions. I was wondering if I need to get a librarian to add the number of pages or if I should just note the number in my post to show that it over 100?

Thanks

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6364 comments I can edit it once I verify the count

message 9: by Janice (new)

Janice  | 563 comments Dee wrote: "I can edit it once I verify the count"

Thanks Dee. I don't have a copy right now. I ordered it from storage at my library. I tried to find a page number on Amazon, but they don't have it listed either. When I get it, should I post it here or in the librarian thread?

message 10: by Dee (last edited Nov 30, 2012 11:03AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6364 comments in the librarian thread, or you can send me a PM - you can also try worldcat

ETA - actually, I found it in worldcat and fixed it - it is 266 pages

message 11: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon | 217 comments so if I am looking at the reader board correctly there are going to be 14 25pt tasks?

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6364 comments we won't know until midnight tonight technically...there could be some ppl who squeak in - they still have 3 hrs and 3 minutes to go (at least by my clock) ;)

message 13: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinajt) | 457 comments Goodness me 14 25 point finishers so far. Wow! Can't wait til it hits 3pm my time when the challenge officially starts so I can get to the second half of The Help. Christmas shopping in the meantime :)

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6364 comments I know! I had to stop the audiobook I was listening to because I was 5 min away from the halfway point

message 15: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) So glad I read a different book before re-starting my book again x

message 16: by Janice (new)

Janice  | 563 comments Dee wrote: "in the librarian thread, or you can send me a PM - you can also try worldcat

ETA - actually, I found it in worldcat and fixed it - it is 266 pages"

Thanks again Dee. I appreciate your help.

message 17: by Catrina (new)

Catrina Donnelly | 24 comments Hi. I'm trying to find somewhere to add my name to the readerboards for the Winter Seasonal but my observation skills are sadly lacking today. Can anyone help please?
x

message 18: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) READERBOARD NAMES - Read Posts # 1 & 2

message 19: by Catrina (new)

Catrina Donnelly | 24 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "READERBOARD NAMES - Read Posts # 1 & 2"

Thank you Fiona. I have been trying that but I get the following:

Page Not Found

The page you requested doesn't exist. Please check the url again, or visit the home page.

Any ideas?

message 20: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 14423 comments Mod
Try this- we know there's a problem

Last page

message 21: by Catrina (new)

Catrina Donnelly | 24 comments Thank you Dlmrose.

message 22: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinajt) | 457 comments Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm wondering about what to do if I want to read an ebook less than 100 pages, and read more than one to meet the at least 100 pages requirement, for tasks.

I'd like to read something like Hana (goodreads lists it at 64 pages), or Tortured (32 pages) but am not sure if I have to get these approved for length. I've been meaning to read these inbetween books for a while but am checking that I am able to do this for a task (or two) and whether verification is needed, or if you are fine with the page numbers already posted on goodreads.

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6364 comments if they are only ebooks then you need to get them approved - and just say going to use in conjunction with - although DLMRose will note that on her spreadsheet

message 24: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinajt) | 457 comments OK great, haven't quite figured out a spot for them yet but will get them approved when I do

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 27 comments I have kind of a strange question about claiming a Goodreads author. The book I'm reading (Blackout by Mira Grant) was written under a pseudonym, which doesn't show up as a Goodreads author, but her main account does. Would I be able to claim it or would it not count since the name she's using for this one isn't considered a Goodreads author?

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Sam wrote: "I have kind of a strange question about claiming a Goodreads author. The book I'm reading (Blackout by Mira Grant) was written under a pseudonym, which doesn't show up as a Goodreads author, but he..."

Sorry, a GR author ticket can only be claimed if the author listed for the book (in this case Mira Grant) is listed as a GR author. See Clarification of GRA and Big Book Rules

message 27: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 27 comments That's what I figured, but I thought it was worth a shot! Thanks :)

message 28: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2049 comments I'm really pleased with the great ideas all the task creators are coming up with! This is super!!!!

message 29: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 47 comments I have a couple of clarifying questions about reading eBooks --- this is my first challenge, but I want to make sure to stay off the Wall of Shame ;-)

1) Many of the Kindle eBooks now list page numbers --- should we use this if it is listed. When the Kindle book has pages, it is generally part of the GoodRead entry, so it can be validated.
2) I have a Kindle eBook (with page numbers), but there is no mass market paperback. There are two paperback versions listed with different page counts. Does it matter which number we take --- I could see this being a problem if one page count would put the book in the "big book" category (not the case here).

Thanks and looking forward to seeing how far I get -- I marvel at all the fast readers here.

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6364 comments you can use the kindle page counts if listed, if there is a paperback to correlate - because I (as a librarian), not that I would, go in and say oh, xx book is this many pages - without verifying

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (Sandra72) | 625 comments How do I insert bold text into my posts?

message 32: by Dlmrose (new)

Sandra wrote: "How do I insert bold text into my posts?"

above the comment box you'll see "(some html is ok)" the code you need is there
remove the spaces before and after the b:
< b > what you want in bold < /b >

There are more instructions in the General Help folder

message 33: by Wendy UK (last edited Dec 18, 2012 03:17AM) (new)

Wendy  UK (WendyUK) | 756 comments Sandra wrote: "How do I insert bold text into my posts?"

At the top of the comment box, in brackets, it says (some html is ok). There you will find the instructions you need.

Sorry. I see I answered the question at the same time as Dlmrose!

message 34: by Dlmrose (new)

The more the merrier, Wendy!

message 35: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (Sandra72) | 625 comments Thank you!

message 36: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2956 comments I am reading an audiobook of The Postmistress. There is no mass market paperback listed on GR so I checked the paperback editions and found a variety of pages ranging from 361pp to 588pp. My audiobook is over 10 hours.

Should I go with the lowest page number edition when I post?

message 37: by Dlmrose (new)

Bea wrote: "I am reading an audiobook of The Postmistress. There is no mass market paperback listed on GR so I checked the paperback editions and found a variety of pages ranging from 361pp to 588pp. My audi..."

The editions with 500+ are Large Type and foreign editions. The editions in the 300 pg range would be the ones to use.

message 38: by D.G. (last edited Dec 18, 2012 06:48AM) (new)

D.G. I have a similar issue with an audiobook I'm listening.

I'm listening to Dracula and the audiobook is 15.5 hours. However, there are 16 mass market paperback versions and the most popular one Dracula has 528 pgs. However, other versions have way less than that. Can I go with the most popular MMPB edition when I post?

message 39: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 609 comments How do you insert a link into posts? Thanks.

message 40: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6364 comments are you talking about book links? if so, then click on the link above the text box that says add book/author - in the pop-up window - type in the title of the book you are looking for and then click on the add button when you find the book you want

message 41: by Patricia (last edited Dec 18, 2012 08:15AM) (new)

Patricia | 609 comments Dee wrote: "are you talking about book links? if so, then click on the link above the text box that says add book/author - in the pop-up window - type in the title of the book you are looking for and then cli..."

Thanks Dee. I should have clarified. I actually meant how do you post a link such as to the Goodreads Author's Page, a link to an exact page where a recommended book is mentioned or a link to an external blog?

message 42: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6364 comments I normally just cut and paste the html - however if you want to make it "pretty" - you can use this html

< a href = "put html for link here" > my link text < /a >

if you want to post an authors name - you can use the same add book/author link - just switch tabs to authors (rather than books) - and search for their name

message 43: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 609 comments Dee wrote: "I normally just cut and paste the html - however if you want to make it "pretty" - you can use this html

my link text

if you want to post an authors name - you can use the same add book/author ..."

Great! Thanks for your help!

message 44: by Bea (last edited Dec 18, 2012 02:59PM) (new)

Bea | 2956 comments Dlmrose wrote: "The editions with 500+ are Large Type and foreign editions. The editions in the 300 pg range would be the ones to use."

Thanks.

message 45: by Dlmrose (new)

D.G. ~Shameless Hussy~ wrote: "I have a similar issue with an audiobook I'm listening.

I'm listening to Dracula and the audiobook is 15.5 hours. However, there are 16 mass market paperback versions and the most popular one Drac..."

The editions of Dracula with the longer page numbers have additional critical analysis- like Pocket Books Enriched Classic Dracula
Pocket Books Enriched Classics present the great works of world literature enhanced for the contemporary reader. This edition of Dracula was prepared by Joseph Valente, Professor of English at the University of Illinois and the author of Dracula's Crypt: Bram Stoker, Irishness, and the Question of Blood, who provides insight into the racial connotations of this enduring masterpiece.

The paperbacks that did not have additional content have numbers closer to 400 pages.

In general, most editions with similar content should be over 500 pages to claim a Big Book ticket

message 46: by D.G. (last edited Dec 19, 2012 06:43AM) (new)

D.G. Thanks Dlmrose. I can't still a audiobook this long is not even 500 pgs!

message 47: by Dee (last edited Dec 19, 2012 06:47AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6364 comments a standard rule of thumb I have noticed for audiobooks is roughly 30 pages per hour of recorded time...in a MMPB

message 48: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2049 comments Did someone delete a post in the tasks posted?
I wrote my numbers down yesterday when I posted and
now the numbers are one less on each?

message 49: by Dlmrose (new)

Kathy G. wrote: "Did someone delete a post in the tasks posted?
I wrote my numbers down yesterday when I posted and
now the numbers are one less on each?"

Thanks for the heads up, Kathy, damage control is easier the faster we find this. My records are off too

message 50: by D.G. (new)

D.G. A question!

I'm using a short story and a novella for one task ( together they add to 100+ pgs.) Both authors are GR authors so my question is...how many GR author tickets do I get? I suppose only one but please clarify before I post.

Thanks!
dg

« previous 1