Addicted to Novels - YA Books and more... discussion

Cinthia Koeksal
This topic is about Cinthia Koeksal
Cinthia Koeksal (November 19th, 2012)

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 18, 2012 09:51PM) (new)

Cinthia Koeksal

Introduce Youself
I’m Cinthia Koeksal, author of The Scarlet Omen. I was born and raised in Malaysia but currently live in Germany with my husband, son and Maltese Sparky. I love reading, writing, music and spending time with my loved ones. I also write a weekly blog, Diary of a Storeteller. The Scarlet Omen is my first novel.

What type of books do you write?
At the moment, I’m writing YA fantasy. I’m planning a trilogy (continuation of The Scarlet Omen) and a prequel.

When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
I started writing when I was six but I guess that’s not what you meant I started writing The Scarlet Omen just after my mother passed away in 2003. I finished it in 2005 but then went through a long process of editing it until I thought that it was ready for pitching.

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?
I like writing in the mornings—the world seems so full of possibilities when you wake up! My favourite thing in the whole world is writing by the beach. Unfortunately, I no longer live in Malaysia so I have to make do with my quaint, European garden.

What inspired you to write your first book?
I like making up worlds where I get to control what happens. When my mother passed away very unexpectedly, I needed a way to vent and started The Scarlet Omen (back then I called it The Valley of the Hornbills). Then my characters took over the story—helping me introduce readers to a colourful Asian country full of myth and legend—and I had to give up some of the control but it still helped with dealing with a lot of issues that I had on my plate. I’m very thankful.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I don’t really have a favourite author because I fall in love very quickly with a well written book. It doesn’t have to be an awesome story but it has to speak to me. Sometimes, the same author can achieve this in one book but not in another. However, I must say that I own almost all of Terry Pratchett’s creations.

How do you react to a bad/good review of one of your books?
I’ve been told that I’m my biggest critic. When I get a good review, I struggle to read between the lines and see what they did not like about my work. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled about someone finding my work good, but I tend to worry about the small things as well. Needless to say, the world will stop spinning when I get my first bad review, although once it does start turning again, I’ll just pick up the advise that I find most helpful and go on writing…hopefully better than ever.

What’s more important: characters or plot?
I’d say a good balance of both—one cannot survive without the other. This being said, it really depends on the story that’s being told. Sometimes, I plan out this awesome, thunderous plot and my characters turn around and go, “Say what? I’m not doing that, girlfriend!” and do what they want. They take over and although I do have to rein them in once in awhile, they normally take me places I wouldn’t have dreamed of creating…and there you have a whole new plot!

If your book was made into a TV series or Movie, what actors would you like to see playing your characters?
My story takes place in Asia, so I’d like a really fresh faced newbie Indian actress playing my main character Anjeli. I’d like Lucy Liu to play the part of Lady Suriya the vampire queen and Robert Pattinson (please don’t gag!) to play the part of Prince Kai of the Lake People.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Love your work, love yourselves, believe in miracles, ignore anyone who tells you that you can’t and buy a hardcopy of The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman! Oh, and grow a very thick skin before the querying process.

Will you have a new book coming out soon?
I’ve just sent in the sequel to The Scarlet Omen, so I’m crossing my fingers

Can you leave us a quote from one of your books?
“Bad memories haunt you and good memories taunt you.”—The Scarlet Omen, Koeksal 2012

Is your book in Print, ebook or both?
Both

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Check Out:

The Scarlet Omen by Cinthia Koeksal
What do a clan of vampires, a hidden gateway and a three hundred year old prophecy have to do with a rebellious teenager? Everything. Being a good daughter is not easy. Being a bad one is downright exhausting. Anjeli, a girl plagued by visions of blood lust and magic, tries to live a carefree, teenage life but her over-protective Indian mother will not have any of it. The animosity between them does not subside and as a series of events changes the course of their lives, Anjeli tries to assuage her guilty conscience with good memories. Instead, Anjeli stumbles upon a prophecy that has come to claim her as its main performer.

Addicted to Novels - YA Books and more...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Scarlet Omen (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Cinthia Koeksal (other topics)