Chick Lit discussion

P.S. I Love You

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (Klippy) I went to see this movie last and really enjoyed it (although I do know it got some bad reviews). I was thinking about reading the book because I know that there was alot of the detail left out of the movie. Has anyone else read the book and seen the movie? What did you think?

message 2: by Jann (new)

Jann | 17 comments I read the book. I loved it. I haven't seen the movie yet. It was my first Cecelia Ahern book and I have read all the others. I thought I would not like her most recent (If You Can See Me Now00in the US--some have different titles in the US and Ireland), but it turned out to be my favorite. I think that one might be being made into a movie too.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 6 comments I am reading the book now and I've really enjoyed it so far! Everytime I sit down and read, I've wanted to read for longer, but with it being the holidays, I haven't had much time! You should give it a try!

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 6 comments I am reading the book now and I've really enjoyed it so far! Everytime I sit down and read, I've wanted to read for longer, but with it being the holidays, I haven't had much time! You should give it a try!

message 5: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (mrse1107) | 2 comments I am currently reading it now too! I'm only in Chap 4 or 5 though. So far its gotten me interested enough to keep going!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the book so much!!

message 7: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (Klippy) I did not know that Cecelia Ahern wrote the screenplay for Samantha Who. I love that show.

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele (momrisner) | 1 comments I just finished the book. Have not seen the movie. From what I saw of the previews, it has a few differences from the book so it will be interesting to compare.

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise | 29 comments Mod
I read the book with trepidation (I thought it sounded too melancholy and a bit cheesy) but found the pacing to be fantastic. Don't know about the movie; not a Hilary Swank fan. I would recommend the book to any chick lit fan, though!

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Green (Angel_Andie) | 9 comments I read this book when it first came out. I haven't seen the movie because I'm afraid that they've ruined the book. Its a sad novel, while i didnt cry i know friends that did! Would definately recommend it.

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane | 20 comments I actually read the book a year or two ago when I was visiting Dublin, Ireland. I loved it, so when I heard that an American movie version was being made I was a little wary. First of all, the book takes place in & around Dublin - there was a huge change for the screenplay being in New York.

As a movie, I really liked PS I Love You. In comparison with the book though, I don't think the movie did it justice. There were several character role differences and twists in the movie that didn't occur in the book. I won't spoil it for those that haven't seen the movie/read the book. I'm going to read the book again just to compare.

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2 comments I really liked the movie (I actually didn't know it was a book or I would have read it first) but I have been told that if you really loved the book there are a lot of differences in the movie...just a warning.

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela Avery | 7 comments I really enjoyed the book, and honestly it's much better than the movie! Most often I enjoy the movie better than the book, but this time around that was different. The book is definitely chick lit, girlie, and fluff - but in all good ways for those of us who enjoy those types of books! The movie is funny though.

♥ Marlene♥  | 8 comments Hi there. Good to see a topic for the book I am reading now.
someone suggested it to me and send me her copy (bookcrossing) . Started it this afternoon and ahve read the first 100 pages and really enjoying it so far.

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 2 comments I started the book a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the movie when it comes out on DVD.

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 6 comments We read this book for book club and then all went together to see the movie. Nobody liked the movie!! I mean, the title is the same, as well as the characters names and basic plot, but then they changed EVERYTHING else.

In the movie, they live in New York, Holly's dad was absent and a negative character, Holly only had her crazy sister, no other siblings. Holly hooks up with a guy on their "girls" vacation!!! I forgot the name of her husband, but he sent her a message on a tape recording and he gave the letters to Holly's mom to give to Holly each month. And all of these things did not happen in the book and it seems like they changed things that didn't even need to be changed! Plus, Harry Connick Jr's character was a bit creepy (the bar owner) and I really liked him in the book!!!

I'm not trying to be a major complainer, but this was a horrible job of turning a book into a movie. So don't get to excited to see the movie if you really enjoyed the book!!!

♥ Marlene♥  | 8 comments Thanks Amy. I finished this book 2 days ago and really loved it but I do not think I am going to watch this movie.

There are more chick lit books changed into movies? Jen Weiner? good in bed? how is that movie?
and did Cecilia Ahern write any other good books you girls would recommend me?

message 18: by Jann (new)

Jann | 17 comments I have read every one of Cecelia Ahern's books and have loved them all. They tend to have different titles depending on whether they were published in the States or in Britain so be careful that you don't think there are more than there really are. The others I read were If You Could See Me Now, which was both sweet and a bit fanciful and Rosie Dunn. She has a new one that was just published but I can't recall the name and haven't read that one yet.

message 19: by Liz (new)

Liz | 13 comments I just finished if You Could See me Now and I liked it but didnt love it. I think my favorite one was Love Rosie :-)

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (StephInDenver) | 2 comments Just saw the movie this weekend. It's been ages since I read the book (which I remember absolutely loving.) I know that there were some pretty major differences between the book and the movie, but I really enjoyed the movie - the same sweet sentiment was there despite the changes to some of the characters, the location and a bit of the storyline. Both were very enjoyable, IMO, but it was probably better for me because it's been so long since I've read the book that I don't remember a lot of the details.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Kaye, just curious did you read the book? How do you feel it compared to the movie?

Ashley (bookworm84) (bookworm84) | 13 comments I prefered the book over the movie myself (though I liked Gerald Butler in the movie *swoons*)

I found the movie was missing essential parts of the book that I thought were the important scenes. I still enjoyed the movie though. I find that usually movies made from books are generally not as good as the book. I guess for me I create the characters in my imagination and sometimes the actors who play the characters in the movie doesn't match how I pictured them and that is a let down for me right from the get go.

I must say that they picked a great Gerry ;)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, I preferred the book. I felt dissapointed in the movie.

message 24: by Sheila (new)

Sheila I loved the book. I stayed up all night to finish it because I just couldn't put it down. And I liked the movie too. I liked it in the same way that I liked the movies for "A Walk to Remember" and "Cider House Rules", as a totally separate entity from the book. I try to go into all 'movies to books' with that same attitude or else I know I'm going to be disappointed.

message 25: by Allison (new)

Allison (sockweasel) I LOVED the movie! But I saw it before reading the book (and I think that always makes a difference~ which order to see/read the story in) I may have to read the book. It's good to hear most of you enjoyed it! :)

message 26: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) I just watched this movie last night - and I enjoyed it. I can't say it was a favorite - but I cried alot because I thought it was so sad! I would guess the book is probably way better then the movie, so I need to get the book and read it!

message 27: by Allison (new)

Allison (sockweasel) I read the book last week. :) It was very good! Well worth the read.

message 28: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (adorrable524) | 53 comments I read this book and about a year later my friend lent me a copy of the movie. Big mistake! The book made me cry for days on end - watching the movie did not have the same effect on me. The only part that did was when she hit her leg trying to get into bed and telling no one to turn the light off *sigh* In my opinion the book wins out on this one. ******** stars for the book!

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa6705) | 6 comments I have seen the movie and read the book and LOVED both. The book has so many more details about it and I would recommend it.