Anecdotes about famous writers discussion

Witty and funny stories

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefanos (new)

Stefanos Livos (stefivos) | 11 comments Mod
Tolstoy was a great pacifist and was once lecturing on the need to be nonresistant and nonviolent towards all creatures. Someone in the audience responded by asking what should be done if one was attacked in the woods by a tiger. Tolstoy responded, "Do the best you can. It doesn't happen very often."

http://history.inrebus.com/index.php?...

message 2: by Stefanos (new)

The celebrated dancer Isadora Duncan once wrote to George Bernard Shaw declaring that, given the principles of eugenics, they should have a child together.
“Think of it!” she enthused. “With my body and your brains, what a wonder it would be.”
“Yes,” Shaw replied. “But what if it had my body and your brains?”

message 3: by Stefanos (new)

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
Goethe once wrote a very long letter to one of his friends. In the end he added a postscript explaining: "I am very sorry for sending you such a long letter but I did not find enough time to write a shorter one."

message 4: by Stefanos (new)

Once an editor rejected a story of Isaac Asimov and called it “meretricious.” The word is from the Latin meretrix, meaning “prostitute,” so that the implication was that Asimov was prostituting his talent and was writing a bad story that would get by on his name alone because he was too lazy to write a good one. (Later the story was sold elsewhere and received considerable acclaim.)
Swallowing his annoyance, Asimov said mildly, “What was that word you used?”
Obviously proud at knowing a word he felt Asimov didn’t know, the editor enunciated carefully, “Meretricious!”
Whereupon Asimov replied, “And a Happy New Year to you.”

message 5: by Stefanos (new)

One day during a lecture tour, Mark Twain entered a local barber shop for a shave. This, Twain told the barber, was his first visit to the town.
“You’ve chosen a good time to come,” he declared.
“Oh?” Twain replied.
“Mark Twain is going to lecture here tonight. You’ll want to go, I suppose?”
“I guess so…”
“Have you bought your ticket yet?”
“No, not yet.”
“Well, it’s sold out, so you’ll have to stand.”
“Just my luck,” said Twain with a sigh. “I always have to stand when that fellow lectures!”