J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > A silly question

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 3 comments Okay I have a silly question, the first in death book I ever read was portrait in death, after I read that and found out I loved the series and started with the first book and have been going down the line. Soon I'm going to be back to portrait in death. My question is should I re read it to stay in chronological order, or skip it and go to the next since I already read it? I can't make up my mind, and thoughts?

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 10512 comments Mod
I don't think your question is silly at all. My question to you is, what do you remember of it? It probably has a completely different meaning to you now. I'd highly recommend re-reading it unless it's still vivid in your memory.

I've re-read it twice.

message 3: by Quynh (new)

Quynh (Caskett) | 1269 comments Re-read it anyway! It's one of the best and one of my faves in the series. :)

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 3 comments Alright thanks guys I will re read it because honestly I don't remember much!

message 5: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 69 comments I agree with re-read. There are so many details worth rereading and some of them carry over to others books. Love this book!

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments Yeah, Jennifer! You should definetely re-read it! It's a great book and will help you keep events on a timeline and not have them messed up!

message 7: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Portrait rocks! I'd definitely reread it (and have)!

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3169 comments I initially read Kindred and Divided out of order (it is how I discovered the series) and I definitely agree the books have a completely different impact when read in order. Besides that one is such a good read, not a waste of time.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 1070 comments For a long time I read the books out of order. I'm not one to follow the regular path. When I went back and reread the series in order it was soooo different and soooo much better.

message 10: by Drz (new)

Drz | 15 comments I started the series with Remember When since I'm a Nora Roberts fan. When I got back up to it I re read the parts about the characters and less on the murder case.

message 11: by Zu (new)

Zu (nanozee) | 3 comments I'm rereading the series in order and am at Holiday in Death now. I love the introduction of new characters and their development & relationship to Eve!

message 12: by Jonetta (last edited Jan 19, 2013 05:11PM) (new)

I'm not surprised that the experience is different when you go back and read the books in order. While I'm now a stickler for that, I wasn't always. This series pretty much changed my habits.

message 13: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 153 comments Silly comment....
I totally saw the wrist unit on a commercial by galaxy on tv earlier.

TOTALLY anyone else seen it?

message 14: by Jonetta (new)

I did on the Today show a couple of weeks ago!

message 15: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1191 comments Me too!!!

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3169 comments My 15 year old told me it was coming out about 6 months ago. He seems to think I am going to get him one lol.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1881 comments I just love it one Star Trek etc gadgets come true

message 18: by Quynh (new)

Quynh (Caskett) | 1269 comments I saw the commercial last night. It looked ok, not something I would race or line up for to get one. Now, if it was an autochef, that'd be a different story.

Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ (sandrahoover) | 8524 comments Mod
I don't think I've seen what y'all are talking about...?

message 20: by Quynh (new)

Quynh (Caskett) | 1269 comments Samsung galaxy is releasing a wrist unit next year. It's kind of like a phone but on your wrist.

Ah Ha! Now I see...Cool.

Sandi - Protester of Goofreads (sfussner) I'm so waiting for a 'holo room', not that I would be able to afford one, but just to know that dream exists!

message 23: by Dawn (last edited Oct 12, 2013 10:13AM) (new)

Dawn | 3169 comments It is a smartphone, but a watch. http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/ga...

message 24: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments I was pretty excited about the wrist unit! I mean... I'm not going to get one or anything, but how cool is that??? We're living in the future!!

message 25: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 153 comments I would like a transporter sans Star Trek myself -')

Technology has come so far in the last few years...I'm constantly amazed at what they come out with. Hard to even think about what's coming in the future!

message 27: by Jonetta (new)

I thought the introduction of the iPod was transformative. It changed the way we deliver, distribute and listen to music and I remember being blown away.

Definitely...I was first amazed by the small size of it and how many songs it could hold! That was one new piece of tech that I had to have!

message 29: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1191 comments My 18 yr old and I watched the commercial for the watch today and I said" that is so cool!" and she was like " yeah, I guess ". I said to her "you've grown up with technology, we saw watches like this on The Jetsons when I was kid and never thought there would ever actually be one!"

message 30: by Sara ♥ (last edited Oct 13, 2013 10:30PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments When I was little, we had those 5-1/4" large floppy discs... I don't even remember how much memory they held (google says 1.2 MB). *snorts* And the little 3-1/2" ones (1.44 MB). (NOTE: As a reference, large photos you take on your digital camera these days are around 2.5 MB... for ONE picture.)

I remember zip discs that held 100 or 250 MB. Those things were like $30 each in college! I had like 8 of them, too!

And the first time I ever bought a USB drive... 128 MB for like $25.

Last Black Friday, I got a 32 GB MicroSD card for $18. The thing is about the size of my pinkie nail and holds 32 GB of memory! It's INSANE!

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

Lol! I remember when floppy discs were a breakthrough:)

message 32: by Quynh (new)

Quynh (Caskett) | 1269 comments Ooh I remember using those floppy discs and playing games on them in elementary school lol.

Sandi - Protester of Goofreads (sfussner) Uhm, I was there at the beginning, working in the computer industry. For a short time we had floppy disks that were the size of dinner plates. This was before the PC, of course.

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1881 comments To be honest with you all.. . I love that technology is getting more advanced but I always feel left behind. I have this love/ hate thing going on with anything technological. Seems everyone around me understands and my brain just reads it all as blank blank blank. .. I can't even say " please explain like I'm a preschooler " because they would understand it better than me. ;-))

message 35: by Jonetta (new)

Michelle, I got to a point where I let go of my pride and let my nephew and others SHOW me. And, I have no shame in walking into an electronics store and asking for their best salesperson. Then I proceed to challenge her or him to give me their best shot at convincing me that I need the product I want to be educated about. The result?
1. iPad
2. Apple TV
3. Kindle Touch
4. Digital home phone

There's more but you get the picture. I don't have to be the first but if I don't understand it, I make someone explain it. Who better than someone getting paid to try to get me to buy it? Yes, I've walked out on any of them that try to BS me (I've had managers run after me) but in each situation, what I bought fit my needs to a tee.

Hope you see something in this that makes you feel less inadequate about technology. They owe it to you to not only explain how it works but how it fits in your life AND solves a problem/makes it better.

message 36: by Jonetta (new)

Sandi - Protester wrote: "Uhm, I was there at the beginning, working in the computer industry. For a short time we had floppy disks that were the size of dinner plates. This was before the PC, of course."

I was right there with you. I'm ashamed to describe what those first generation products looked like:)

Sandi - Protester of Goofreads (sfussner) LOL, yeah, like the difference between an elephant & a dinosaur, huh!

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1881 comments Jonetta wrote: "Michelle, I got to a point where I let go of my pride and let my nephew and others SHOW me. And, I have no shame in walking into an electronics store and asking for their best salesperson. Then I p..."

Thanks for that Jonetta. I'm going to take a page out of you book and do the same. I'm usually not scared to say I don't understand and they should explain better but I think I'll ask the question of what's suits my needs better than the other

message 39: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3169 comments Quynh...you just made me feel old. When I was in elementary school, computers still took up most of a room lol Asteroids came out when I was in high school ( and I am not talking about the home version).

message 40: by Quynh (new)

Quynh (Caskett) | 1269 comments LOL Dawn. XD I'm right with ya when it comes to the new generation of kids who never heard of Tin Tin, or know what a Walkman is. Kids as young as 8 these days have cell phones (is that even necessary?). I didn't have my first cell phone until I was 20 and it was those flip phones, not a smart phone.

message 41: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1191 comments I still don't have a smartphone!!! I was in my junior year of high school when kids started carrying around floppy disks. I didn't take a computer class senior yr because I thought, why, when will I EVER have the need to use a computer!! Lol

message 42: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments I don't have a smart phone either! :( I remember the first time I got on the internet in 5th or 6th grade. My friend had one of those original AOL account... The "You've got mail!" kind with dial-up! Ha!

My family got a computer... I want to say around middle school? But I didn't start using it regularly until maybe the summer after sophomore year, when I discovered instant messaging... using ICQ. Haha! That takes me back! Good times...

We had a family cell phone my senior year of high school because we lived in South Korea. So if my brother and I went and hung out around town, we'd take it... since we couldn't exactly ask someone where a pay phone was. If they even had them. People in Korea were already cell phone crazy over there in 2000.

I didn't get my own cell phone until I was assigned a work cell phone after college. After I left that job, I got my own. I was like 23 maybe? I'll be 30 in November. EEK!