Victorians! discussion

Archived Group Reads 2012 > Lady Audley Vol 3, Ch 1-6

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC (last edited Nov 22, 2012 05:37PM) (new)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) | 1436 comments Discuss "The Red Light in the Sky" through "Buried Alive"

Spoilers up to this point in the story.

message 2: by Clari (new)

Clari (clariann) | 496 comments This section surprised me, how easily Lady Audley confessed in the end. I'm surmising that the shock of seeing Robert alive after a day of waiting for the news of his death, led her to feel totally defeated.
The woman who some hours earlier double locked the door where she thought her enemy was sleeping, did not seem to be the same one who is lying on the floor confessing her fears of her mother's madness.
I was wondering if it was some form of postnatal depression taken to an extreme, but although Lady Audley says she could not bond with her baby son, she had taken and hidden his shoe for all those years.
I wasn't sure if the talk of madness was an attempt on her part to gain mercy, but I think it was genuine as in the Victorian era madness was not treated so kindly.

Personally I was a little disappointed with this labelling her as mad, it seemed a bit of an anticlimax. Although Sir Michael becoming subdued and accepting her story did fit with my reading of him as someone who wanted his wife to be a certain persona that he was in love with, whereas one part of his brain was aware that it was all an illusion.

One thing I noticed in this point which may have been true of the whole work but I hadn't spotted it, is that the author often distances herself from the story, she is not placing herself as the all knowing omniscient narrator but used phrases such as 'I think' and 'I believe'. This conversely made me more aware of the author as the person who is guiding the reader and is in control of everything and how it unfolds.

message 3: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2552 comments Clari wrote: "This section surprised me, how easily Lady Audley confessed in the end. I'm surmising that the shock of seeing Robert alive after a day of waiting for the news of his death, led her to feel totally..."

I think that was the last straw, but she knew that he knew it all and that if he lived the jig was up. So I don't think it was so much shock of seeing him alive as finally facing the reality that she had done everything she possibly could to protect her secret, and had failed. At least by confessing she could, I think, feel that she had robbed Robert of the glory of exposing her and making himself the center of attention. This way, she at least could, I think maybe, at least in her mind, claim the credit for confessing, which in the religious setting of the times may have been a significant factor, and also she could present things in her own words rather than having Robert lay it all out clinically and cruelly against her.