Victorians! discussion

Archived Group Reads 2012 > Lady Audley, Vol 3 Ch 9-10

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC (last edited Nov 18, 2012 07:29AM) (new)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) | 1436 comments Please discuss this last section, "Restored" and "At Peace" as well as your overall thoughts of the story.

message 2: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 150 comments Very lively writing throughout, and I finally came away from it thinking it probably made a great beach read at the time it was written :)

message 3: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2552 comments Since I finished the book, I'm going to make all my Book 3 posts here instead of where they might more strictly belong.

I thought Braddon did a very good job of showing Sir Michael's reaction to the revelations of Lady A. The depth of his grief was almost appalling, but his courage in facing and surviving it was equally strong. Very well portrayed.

message 4: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2552 comments Janice George wrote: "Very lively writing throughout, and I finally came away from it thinking it probably made a great beach read at the time it was written :)"

That's a very good description of it. As I said earlier, not great literature, but enjoyable.

message 5: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 150 comments Everyman wrote: "Since I finished the book, I'm going to make all my Book 3 posts here instead of where they might more strictly belong.

I thought Braddon did a very good job of showing Sir Michael's reaction to t..."

I liked the handling of Sir Michael's character throughout the book... his blind infatuation with Lady Audley seemed very real. I also thought Robert was handled realistically -- I believed everything about him from the moment I met him. I even thought his conflict about Ariel's affection after he had met George's sister seemed genuine.

I don't think the other characters in the book were as well-drawn or thought out, but mostly served as plot point catalysts. I did enjoy the descriptions of the Talboy's estate and George's father, I think Bradden had fun with it. Here's a great quote when Robert is approaching the Talboy grounds -

The lawn was chiefly ornamented with dark, wintry shrubs of a funereal aspect which grew in beds that looked like problems in algebra...

And her description of the Talboy's butler -

The linen-jacketed servant returned presently. He was a square, pale-faced man of almost forty, and had the appearance of having outlived every emotion to which humanity is subject.

Bradden was a very good writer who wrote a piece of pulp fiction that was mostly formulaic. She probably needed to make a living.

message 6: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2552 comments Janice George wrote: "Bradden was a very good writer who wrote a piece of pulp fiction that was mostly formulaic. She probably needed to make a living. "

Certainly a good writer. I'm not sure I would go so far as to say very good; as you noted, some of her characters were not that well drawn (compare, for example, Dickens--even his minor characters have very identifiable characters), and I thought a few of her situations were too contrived.

But she did have ability; you picked two very nice examples, but there were others. A good writer, yes. Very good? For me that may be going too far. Though for the genre she was writing in -- sensationalist rather than literary fiction -- she probably was one of the better, maybe the best, practitioners.

So much of that literature, the "penny dreadfuls," are lost to us today unless we have access to very complete academic libraries or are skilled and dedicated collectors of it.

message 7: by Clari (new)

Clari (clariann) | 496 comments In truth, I was a little disappointed in the end, it all seemed a little easy; Lucy being a little bit mad, but not completely mad, her fairly simple defeat in the end and her leaving all her riches and her home and being taken to a mad home in another country so she need never be thought of again, George being rescued so she didn't even murder him. Alicia marrying the man she'd rejected because she loved Robert, George returning of his own accord.

Saying all that it was an enjoyable novel with a few deeper things hinted at, such as when Lucy says that Sir Michael and Robert cannot know what it is like being poor and what it drives you to and the fact that as a rich lady she could be good and generous and would have been a faithful wife.

message 8: by Jamey (new)

Jamey | 11 comments As I was reading the ending, I initially thought it had too much of a "fairy tale ending" feel to it. However, when the author herself asks us to take no "objection to my story because the end of it leaves the good people all happy and at peace", I am inclined to be merciful of any judgements I would lay on her and enjoy what I wanted to happen all along, even if it didn't quite seem in line with the rest of the dark novel.

message 9: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2552 comments Clari wrote: "In truth, I was a little disappointed in the end, it all seemed a little easy; Lucy being a little bit mad, but not completely mad, her fairly simple defeat in the end and her leaving all her riche..."

I agree completely with both parts of your post.

message 10: by Julie (last edited Nov 25, 2012 06:21AM) (new)

Julie (readerjules) Jamey wrote: "However, when the author herself asks us to take no "objection to my story because the end of it leaves the good people all happy and at peace",..."

I loved that she said that, realizing that some people like me usually don't like perfect endings. I didn't mind it in this book though. I guess my whole attitude about the book was that it was just something fun to read and not taking it so seriously.

message 11: by Kara (new)

Kara Yoh | 3 comments Overall, I really enjoyed this book as a sensational piece of fiction. It isn't that different than some of the books present on bestseller lists today where characters are not fleshed out, but the focus is on the plot, and neat and tidy endings generally wrap up the book.
I did enjoy some of the characters, Sir Michael and George I thought were very sympathetic, especially in their grief. During those moments of grief, they had some particularly moving thoughts.
I also enjoyed the glimpse into the bad side of Phoebe, bribing her mistress, as Phoebe seemed to be mostly good, as well as the good side of Luke, by saving George, as Luke was portrayed as bad, and admitted such himself on his deathbed.
However, the plot was definitely the main character, with its twists and turns, and varied pace. I can definitely see it being a "beach read" and would hate to have had to sit through waiting for the next portion of it to come out at certain points. Sometimes I just HAD to know what happened next.

message 12: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2552 comments Kara wrote: "Overall, I really enjoyed this book as a sensational piece of fiction. It isn't that different than some of the books present on bestseller lists today where characters are not fleshed out, but th..."

Nice summary. Have you written a review for GR yet? You've pretty much got one written here!

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I agree the book was enjoyable but not amazing. I enjoyed Volumes 1 &2. Volumes 3 seemed rushed to me. Robert obsesses sing over Clara and declaring his undying love for her as a love story at the end didn't quite resonate with me.