Authors & Readers Unite discussion

Introduce Yourself > Introduce Yourself Here

Comments (showing 1-50 of 97) (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tony (new)

Tony Franks-Buckley | 61 comments Mod
Introduce yourself. Give a brief description about who you are and what type of books you like to read.

Authors can introduce themselves properly in the authors profile section

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Millard (JackdawEBooks) | 5 comments Hi, I enjoy historical fiction, crime novels, and non fiction, preferably with a dash of something equestrian (not too many whips and spurs please; you're thinking of someone else. Or someTHING). Author profile to follow later :) Thanks for inviting me, Tony :)

message 3: by Tony (new)

Your Welcome Susan and Welcome to the group, Dont forget to add your books in the Selected Genre.

message 4: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Blondahl (samuelblondahl) | 4 comments Mercury: The Anahita Chronicles

I am an author of Science Fiction, My first Novel Mercury is available now, and the first sequel is in the editor's hands and coming soon. check the link or my author page for more :)

message 5: by Tony (new)

Hello Samuel, Welcome to the group

message 6: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Blondahl (samuelblondahl) | 4 comments Thank you, pleasure to be here.

message 7: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Hi, Dale here. I like YA fantasy, PNR, suspense, thrillers, mysteries.

message 8: by Tony (new)

Hi Dale, that was quick, only just replied on Facebook haha. Add your books in your selected Genres. 1 Thread per book etc.

message 9: by Steven (last edited Nov 18, 2012 10:09AM) (new)

Steven Wood Collins (stevenwoodcollins) | 1 comments
Puramore: The Lute of Pythagoras

Greetings,

My sci-fi novel, Puramore - The Lute of Pythagoras, continues the social science fiction genre created by Aldous Huxley and George Orwell and others during the 1st half of the 20th century. Set in the context of antiquarian history, the book stands out as a truly unigue story representing one possible course of mankind's future.

You may also enjoy reading the section of my Goodreads Authors Blog entitled The Patricians (see http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_...). It presents my discoveries in conducting personal antiquarian genealogical research.

Genre companion books:

Brave New World
Darwin Among The Machines: The Evolution Of Global Intelligence

Related genre literature:

The Book of Lies
The Book of the Law Liber al vel Legis
The Power of Myth

message 10: by Dale (last edited Nov 18, 2012 09:44AM) (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Hi Tony! yeah, I know....I'm swinging between email, facebook and GR...Guess you could call me a 'swinger'. LOL

message 11: by Tony (new)

Haha I like it Dale.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oliver (Jennifer_L_Oliver) | 10 comments Hi! I like reading psychological thrillers, paranormal thrillers, - oh heck, any type of thriller works for me. I also like crime novels, a little YA paranormal, some horror, and a bit of romance. Not all in one, though that might be an interesting concept if done properly. :)
I'm a Goodreads Author, as well. So I'll post more about myself in that thread.
Looking forward to engaging in this group. :)

message 13: by Annie (new)

Annie Fox | 8 comments Hello book-lovers!
I am an author, blogger, online teen adviser, gardener, hiker, baker, and movie-lover. Oh, and a reader. Yep! Love to read! I read history, biography, and children's books and YA fiction.

My new book was just published Teaching Kids to Be Good People: Progressive Parenting for the 21st Century. I also write picture books, graphic novels for tweens, and advice books for teens. More about me and my books here: Annie Fox

I look forward to connecting with you!

message 14: by Tony (new)

Hello to all new members and welcome to the group.

message 15: by Max (new)

Max Stone | 9 comments Hello all. How are you? My name is Max and I'm a big fan of thrillers and crime fiction. It's great to meet you all!

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2 comments Hi Everyone - Glad to belong to this group. Thanks, Tony for starting it. I am an avid reader. I like most genres as long as it doesn't include graphic sex or violence. My book, The Shelter at Papa's Farm was published in March and I am currently working on its sequel. It's been "classified as Christian Lit" but I have been told by some readers that it should be "General" Fiction. My blog is: http://theshelteratpapasfarm.blogspot... and I will try to add my book here - hope it attaches. Look forward to hearing from other authors.The Shelter at Papa's Farm

message 17: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 2 comments Hello everyone. I'm an eclectic writer and reader. I am also overseas teaching at an International School. Because I'm a teacher, I read lots of middle grade/Ya but I also love history, fantasy, non-fiction etc... I have a new middle school, character driven mystery that will be released in three episodes called, The Ghost, The Rat and Me (Robyn Gioia). It's a fun, who-dun-it between two best friends, only one of the friends is a ghost.

On the other side, I have a middle school history resource book titled America's REAL First Thanksgiving, St. Augustine, FL Sept. 8, 1656 that is controversial but this little known secret is slowly making it's way into the books.

message 18: by Anne (new)

Anne Parrish | 1 comments I love literary fiction! I lean more towards short stories, but have returned to novels. My debut short story collection, All The Roads That Lead From Home (August 2011, Press 53) won the 2012 Independent Publishers Book Awards Silver Medal for best short story fiction. I am writing a novel called "Faith" about religious weirdness of all kinds. Visit my website at www.anneleighparrish.com

message 19: by Ia (last edited Nov 18, 2012 02:41PM) (new)

Ia Uaro (Ia_Uaro) | 1 comments Thanks Tony.
I am Ia Uaro, author of the newly released SYDNEY'S SONG - which is a real-life socio fiction, romantic fiction, humorous fiction, family drama, coming-of-age, travel/Australia, self-help/empowerment, contemporary fiction (visit http://sydneyssong.net/). It's for readers of any genre who occasionally want something different.
A former teenaged writer, petroleum seismologist, and volunteer translator, I'm now a mum who does several kinds of volunteer work, assesses manuscripts, and writes real-life socio fiction.
I read anything well written and entertaining.

message 20: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra Lamb (KassLamb) | 22 comments How interesting, Robyn. I am currently writing a Christmas novella set in St. Augustine and yes, folks, it is the oldest city in the U.S., settled before Jamestown or the Pilgrims.

But I digress (I do that a lot). I love to read mysteries the most but also the occasional thriller (if not too scary) or romance (if not too predictable). For me as a reader, the characters are what matter the most. They need to be well-developed and realistic. I love series so that I can see how the same characters grow over time.

I also write the Kate Huntington Mystery series, about a psychotherapist and her friends and family. Kate or someone she cares about always seems to be getting into some kind of sticky situation.

Just for fun, I'm trying my hand at a more light-hearted cozy mystery novella (mentioned above).

Tnank you, Tony, for starting this group. I like the tone that says it's okay for authors to admit they're authors but also to interact as readers, because all authors are also avid readers!

message 21: by Ron (new)

Ron Hutchison (mowriter70) | 5 comments Hi, my name is Ron Hutchison. I am a retired PR guy who started writing full time in 2007. Four of my novels have been published. I self-published the last two. My YA story Voices of the Locusts was posted at Amazon last week. I am a multi-genre author who writes stories based on the weight of the story, not on genre. All of my books and reviews can be found at my website: ron-hutchison-novels.com. I look forward to sharing literary info with fellow writers.

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oliver (Jennifer_L_Oliver) | 10 comments Hi Kassandra!
Fancy meeting you here. ;)

message 23: by Gary (new)

Gary Tenuta (Code9) | 8 comments Jennifer wrote: "Hi! I like reading psychological thrillers, paranormal thrillers, - oh heck, any type of thriller works for me. I also like crime novels, a little YA paranormal, some horror, and a bit of romance. ..."

Hi Jennifer - Believe it or not, I actually did put all of that into a single novel, Ash: Return Of The Beast. Might be right up your alley and down your street. :-)

Ash Return of the Beast by Gary Val Tenuta

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oliver (Jennifer_L_Oliver) | 10 comments Gary wrote: "Hi Jennifer - Believe it or not, I actually did put all of that into a single novel, Ash: Return Of The Beast. Might be right up your alley and down your street. :-) "

Oooh, that sounds intriguing, Gary. I'm gonna have to check it out. :)

message 25: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra Lamb (KassLamb) | 22 comments Hey Jennifer, I think an update in your news feed is what brought me here, actually. So thanks for leaving the trail of breadcrumbs... :)

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oliver (Jennifer_L_Oliver) | 10 comments Kassandra wrote: "Hey Jennifer, I think an update in your news feed is what brought me here, actually. So thanks for leaving the trail of breadcrumbs... :)"

Anytime! Glad to be of service. :D

message 27: by Gary (new)

Gary Tenuta (Code9) | 8 comments Jennifer wrote: "Gary wrote: "Hi Jennifer - Believe it or not, I actually did put all of that into a single novel, Ash: Return Of The Beast. Might be right up your alley and down your street. :-) "

Oooh, that soun..."

Thanks, Jennifer. More info and a book trailer at http://www.ashreturnofthebeast.webs.com

message 28: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Driggers (JacquelineD) Hello! I am a homemaker from a small town in Kentucky. I am a writer, book reviewer, editor. You can learn more about me via my facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/jdswrpg

message 29: by Gary (new)

Gary Tenuta (Code9) | 8 comments Hi Jacqueline! Will head on over to your FB page. :-)

message 30: by Jose (new)

Jose Vasquez (JoseVasquez) | 3 comments Hello im the,author of Aliens Among Us by Jose Vasquez and I am a sci book lover, I also love horror as well.

message 31: by Tony (new)

welcome to all new members.

message 32: by Peter (new)

Peter Hindley | 8 comments Hello, I am co-author of "The Perfect Crime a story of truth or fantasy".
I left England in 2007 for a new life in Southern France, thinking it would be tranquil and I would time to relax and continue writing but that is not the case.
My life is very busy with my new friends, coaching dance competitors and being a jury member for international dance competitions. Nothing is as I had planned when I left the UK but I love my life here and have learnt so much by changing my environment.
The first book has recorded events since my brother’s unconventional death in 2002 and is quite an expose; I plan to write more about this story and another shortly.

message 33: by Tony (new)

Left a sinking ship hey Pete haha. Sounds like your having fun out there. Sorry to hear about your brother but writing about it am sure will raise awareness to your cause, welcome to the group also.

message 34: by Paula (new)

Paula Lofting (PaulaLofting) | 19 comments Tony wrote: "Introduce yourself. Give a brief description about who you are and what type of books you like to read.

Authors can introduce themselves properly in the authors profile section"

Hi Tony where is the Author Profile section? And thanks for inviting me!
Paula

message 35: by Peter (new)

Peter Hindley | 8 comments Tony wrote: "Left a sinking ship hey Pete haha. Sounds like your having fun out there. Sorry to hear about your brother but writing about it am sure will raise awareness to your cause, welcome to the group also."

Thanks for the welcome Tony. You are right I am having a ball but I do need more stamina to keep up with life here and more hours in a day and another day or two in a week would be useful.
Best thing I have done was to move here.

message 36: by Paula (new)

Paula Lofting (PaulaLofting) | 19 comments Hi everyone, I am Paula Lofting and am a writer of historical fiction. I generally read HF but i also love horror and thrillers and any generally well written books. I love history and also love to read non-fictional books about this subject, as i do for research. I work a s a mental health nurse and also re-enact in my spare time with the fabulous REgia Anglorum

message 37: by Tony (new)

Tony | 1 comments Hi everyone, I'm Tony Sutcliffe and am a publisher of a number of different genre ebooks. So far I have published books on Erotica, both one-offs and a series, plus traditional Romance. I am currently co-authoring and publishing a series of Cookery books and have another on Market Research in preparation.

message 38: by Tony (new)

Welcome Paula and Tony to the Group

message 39: by Tony (new)

Peter wrote: "Tony wrote: "Left a sinking ship hey Pete haha. Sounds like your having fun out there. Sorry to hear about your brother but writing about it am sure will raise awareness to your cause, welcome to t..."

I moved to Ireland about 5 years ago but came back after 4 months. missed home too much.

message 40: by Peter (new)

Peter Hindley | 8 comments Tony wrote: "Peter wrote: "Tony wrote: "Left a sinking ship hey Pete haha. Sounds like your having fun out there. Sorry to hear about your brother but writing about it am sure will raise awareness to your cause..."
I decided to leave the UK, had the chance and took it: I have not been back to my native shores and only once thought of returning "for half an hour", the thought passed quickly and it must be said that it would not be very practical or useful to "return for half an hour"....LOL. Now I shudder at the thought of crossing the channel and I was very uncomfortable en route to La Baule in Northern France for a competition.

message 41: by Tony (new)

all my history books are from my area so i need to be here. also my fiction works are on the Pirates in Wallasey that were here in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.

message 42: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Steele (WendyWooAuthor) | 4 comments hello! I'm Wendy and I'm a newbie.My first novel, Destiny of Angels was published in April and I also have two short story anthologies available. My first non-fiction book Wendy Woo's Year - A Pocketful of Smiles - 101 ideas for a happy year and a happy you, will be available on 1st December as well as a new fiction book....about to reveal very soon! I am hoping for a kindle for my birthday:-) I'm a little wobbly with all things tech and seem to have managed to get my books on two different profiles so, if anyone can help with sorting me out, whipping me into shape and keeping me focussed on here...happy for all help:-)I look forward to meeting and getting to know you all:-)

message 43: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 19, 2012 05:26AM) (new)

I am a semi-retired lawyer and self-published my first novel called A Pitch For Justice.It is a courtroom thriller based upon the unimaginable.A manager orders his pitcher to retaliate against a batter.The result leads to a criminal indictment for murder.
http://www.amazon.com/A-Pitch-for-Jus...

message 44: by Richard (new)

Richard Sutton (RichardSutton) | 2 comments Gary Val Tenuta recommended this group, and I got here as fast as I could. My four books, currently available are two novels: The Red Gate(2009) and The Gatekeepers(2010), historical fiction/fantasy set in Ireland beginning in 1911, and two new novellas: Home(9/2012), which is scifi that one reviewer compared to Bradbury (I'm still recovering) and TROLL (10/2012), which is prehistorical fiction. My blog is www.sailletales.com, where there's more info for anyone interested, etc. It's been a long, rocky road and if I can shed light on anything at all, I welcome the opportunity.

message 45: by June (new)

June McCullough (junemccullough) | 5 comments My name is June McCullough and what I read depends on my mood, but the one genre I don't read is horror.
I am the published author of two novels - On the Other Hand (inspirational) and Home to Stay (contemporary romance). I am currently writing my third novel, which is taking longer than I anticipated. It's all about payback. It's got murder, embezzlement, and spans over 40 years.
My website is www.junemccullough.com
I'm also on Twitter and Facebook

message 46: by Tony (new)

Hi Guys, I am closing down my public profile and will only be using this one in future, please add me on the link below

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tony-Fr...

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Colleen Sutherland here. Writer, storyteller, whatever comes up next.
I read almost anything, even catsup bottles if nothing else is around.
All around blog about travel, storytelling and life:
http://storytellingtrailsandtales.blo...
Short story blog shared with two others, published weekly. http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com

message 48: by Debra (new)

Debra Brown (DebraBrown) | 11 comments Hi, thanks for the invitation Tony! (Don't know if you are aware that using a fan page only on FB will seriously limit what you can do. The good news, if it is good, is that FB doesn't allow you to end your profile page, just deactivate it. So if you decide you want to be among the living again in FB, you can just sign back in and reactivate.)

Spurred on by Charles Dickens and Jane Austen, I read historical fiction and lots of historical and writing resource material. I'll talk about authoring on the appropriate page.

message 49: by L.P. (new)

L.P. Johnson (lpj68) | 2 comments Hello all! I'm Lp Johnson, lifelong writer, indie publisher, and Author of newly released Historical Fiction Novel Nubian Sun: A Royal Wedding, an Ebook. My own reading preferences are Horror, Romance, Historical Fiction and Suspense. I found this group here on Goodreads (being pleased I did!)and am happy to meet you all.

message 50: by Ron (new)

Ron Hutchison (mowriter70) | 5 comments Hello, all...My name is Ron Hutchison. I just finished my second self-published novel, Voices of the Locusts, a YA story. This is my fourth novel; the free two went the traditional route. Voices tells the story of three families in post-War Japan in 1948: one black, one white, one Asian. It is told through the eyes of a gifted 16-year-old. All of my novels can be found at ron-hutchison-novels.com. Happy Thanksgiving!

« previous 1