Richard III discussion

Book Discussions > Recommendations

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tango (new)

Tango | 11 comments Hi I am new to this group and relatively new to Ricardian fiction. I was wondering if more experienced members could give a top three of their favourite fiction based on Richard III. I read and loved The Sunne in Splendour and have just started The Daughter of Time, but would love to know what some other good titles are. Thanks!!

message 2: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 19 comments Hi Tango. I don't know if I could recommend anything that would compare to Sunne in Splendour, but my introduction to Richard III came through Anne Easter Smith. She's put out four books so far and I've enjoyed them all.

message 3: by Marina (new)

Marina If you go to the bookpage of The Sunne in Splendour and among the 'characters' click on 'Richard III of England', it'll give you a couple of dozens books about him, of which I can reccomend:

1 - Treason
2 - The Seventh Son
3 - Under the Hog

message 4: by Tango (new)

Tango | 11 comments Marina wrote: "If you go to the bookpage of The Sunne in Splendour and among the 'characters' click on 'Richard III of England', it'll give you a couple of dozens books about him, of which I can reccomend:

1 - ..."

Thanks!

message 5: by Joan (new)

Joan Szechtman | 401 comments One book that I highly recommend is The Broken Sword by Rhoda Edwards. It's out of print but used copies are readily available. And if I may be so bold, I've written a couple of books about Richard III in the 21st-century: This Time and Loyalty Binds Me, which some people have enjoyed.

message 6: by Tango (new)

Tango | 11 comments Thanks Joan. I'll look out for it. Your books sound intriguing.

message 7: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 91 comments Another vote for Treason here. I'm also quite partial to A Trail of Blood, and recall enjoying We Speak No Treason when I read it back in the '80's. This book is sometimes split into 2 volumes. And if I can nominate a 4th, once you are familiar with the basic story and characters The Adventures of Alianore Audley is tremendous fun.

message 8: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
Marina wrote: "If you go to the bookpage of The Sunne in Splendour and among the 'characters' click on 'Richard III of England', it'll give you a couple of dozens books about him, of which I can reccomend:

1 - ..."

I really liked Treason as well. I got a hold of Under the Hog via interlibrary loan, but it was a bit dry for me, and/or my mood at the time. I've read one book by Rhoda Edward, but I think it's a different one. Liked it a lot.

message 9: by Tango (new)

Tango | 11 comments Thanks for the recommendations. Luckily we have summer holidays in Australia in another 4 weeks.

message 10: by Joan (new)

Joan Szechtman | 401 comments I'll second The Adventures of Alianore Audley and would like to add some non-fiction books that I think are well worth reading: Richard III: The Maligned King by Annette Carson, Royal Blood by Bertram Fields, and Richard III and the Murder in the Tower (an interesting and readable speculation about Hastings' sudden execution, June 13, 1483) by Peter A. Hancock. Hopefully, my reviews on Carson's and Hancock's books will whet your reader's appetite.

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice (alicelouise) | 4 comments Tango wrote: "Hi I am new to this group and relatively new to Ricardian fiction. I was wondering if more experienced members could give a top three of their favourite fiction based on Richard III. I read and lov..."

Richard the Third this an objective account.

message 12: by Tango (new)

Tango | 11 comments Thank you so much. Now to find them and to find me some time. Come on holidays!

message 13: by Ishita (new)

Ishita | 25 comments I think I have gone through all the books about Richard! And would like to read more! Hah!
Here are some recommendations for Tango: Seventh Son, Desire the Kingdom, White Boar, The Kingmaker's daughter , we Speak no treason, Under the Hog, Dickon , among others.
Also, really liked Joan's books:) I hope, Joan, you will write a book about Richard and Anne sometime soon!

message 14: by Joan (new)

Joan Szechtman | 401 comments Ishita wrote: "I hope, Joan, you will write a book about Richard and Anne sometime soon!" Thrilled you enjoyed my books, but I have no plans on writing a book specifically about Richard and Anne. Unfortunately, there seems to be very little information surviving about Anne--I don't believe there are any extant letters for example, so what we do know is through her associations, records (birth, death, etc.), and hearsay.

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin | 12 comments to add to Joan's non-fiction suggestions, I would add John Ashdown-Hill's books The Last Days of Richard III and Eleanor, The Secret Queen.