The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) The Raven Boys discussion


96 views
I give a thumbs down.

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Isabell (new)

Isabell I could not follow this book i didn't know what they were talking about.She is not good at explaining. It nothing like what the they said it was. I give this book a thumbs down.


GinAndCats I passionately disagree.


Hannah TheFeelsAreOnTheFloor wrote: "I passionately disagree."

I agree..I found it a little hard to understand at times but as I read the book I fell in love and understood it more and more it's brilliant


message 4: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Hannah wrote: "TheFeelsAreOnTheFloor wrote: "I passionately disagree."

I agree..I found it a little hard to understand at times but as I read the book I fell in love and understood it more and more it's brilliant"


kool


message 5: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia i heard it was bit slow, but then again maybe it was bit interesting, in some places that in the book. i never read that book before, type of thing.


Bookworm I disagree too. I could follow this book just fine. Care to make a stronger argument? Were the characters unlikable? The plot too slow? Anything besides "I couldn't understand." I'm tempted to say that it is too deep for you, but that would come off as too hipster, don't you think?


message 7: by Isabell (new)

Isabell Question if you love this book and willing to make a argument out of a discussion what makes you like this book so much.


Bookworm Mostly the characters. For me, if you get me to like the characters, you've sold most of the story for me. While I admit my favorite was Adam and that the ending left me disappointed in his character, Noah was very interesting and Gansey was tolerable. I actually like him more than I thought I would.


Eris Vianney I also really enjoyed the plot and how Welsh mythology is interwoven with the story. The characters are also very key to me enjoying this book, as they were all well developed and beautifully realized. All four boys have their good points and bad points (just like real people), and Blue is a fine heroine in her own right. Her family is great, too - as someone who comes from a huge female family, Maggie got the relationships right.

The Raven Boys is also different from a lot of YA that I see, and I appreciate that Maggie tries to do something unique. She loves mythology, and I like how she takes on concepts that are not known about in our culture.

So what are your reasons for disliking this book?


Bookworm Wow, Eris. Exactly what I was thinking...and a little more. I had no idea about the Welsh mythology.
And looking back at my first comment, I want to say sorry for coming off as a bit hostile, but it irritates me deeply when people say they dislike books just because they are too hard for them to understand. I know some books genuinely have problems that make them hard to comprehend, but I feel like the Raven Boys does not have those problems. Any other reasons for disliking this book?


message 11: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki I can sort of see where Isabell is coming from, because Maggie does like to take her time explaining things at first. There were a few instances in the beginning where something would be referenced and I would go, "Wait, what does that mean? Am I supposed to understand this yet?"

As the story goes on, though, all the confusion wears off as more is revealed about the plot and the characters' histories. It's completely worth toughing out the confusing parts, because as Eris mentioned, the characters are all incredibly well realized and great to read about. And the events at the end left me desperate for more, lol.


Bookworm True. Though if you have patience, things will be explained.


message 13: by Isabell (last edited Nov 21, 2012 12:22PM) (new)

Isabell I never said it was "to hard for me". You did. :Eris That's great that you enjoyed it.:bookworm: Everyone thinks different so to say just because someone doesn't like the book you do. That's going to irritate you. Wow says a lot about you.


message 14: by Isabell (last edited Nov 21, 2012 12:21PM) (new)

Isabell And what i mean by "it nothing like they said it was" is. The cover wrote things to draw you in but none of it happened. And when i said i could not follow this is because when you introduce a new book and a new myth where some don't read about you have to explain or people are going to get lost. I was not impressed at all.


Bookworm I know plenty of people who share different opinions than me, but they are still my friends, or the very least, not my enemies. What I said was it irritates me when someone doesn't understand something and decides to hate it instead. And plus, don't you get at least a little irritated when someone shares a different opinion than you, at least at first?
Also, I do agree that the blurb is a bit different than the actual story, but I feel that the myth was explained. In which ways was it not? Please give me a few examples.


message 16: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Bookworm wrote: "I know plenty of people who share different opinions than me, but they are still my friends, or the very least, not my enemies. What I said was it irritates me when someone doesn't understand somet..."

ok


message 17: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia :P


message 19: by Eris Vianney (new) - added it

Eris Vianney :P


message 21: by Eris Vianney (new) - added it

Eris Vianney (⌐■_■


Bookworm (╯°□°)╯


message 23: by Aras (last edited Nov 22, 2012 11:35PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Aras Redan I think you guys need to calm down. I couldn't follow the story either. You can say that it's not a reasonable argument but I was more than half way through the book and I couldn't understand what was happening and that's the truth of it. It was very confusing for me. I don't think it has anything to do with the writing style because I'm a big fan of Stiefvaters 'Wolves of Mercy Fall' series and 'Scorpio Races'.

If anyone would like to summarise the book for me that would be fantastic.


message 24: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Aras wrote: "I think you guys need to calm down. I couldn't follow the story either. You can say that it's not a reasonable argument but I was more than half way through the book and I couldn't understand what ..."

yea that would be cool.


message 25: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia cause in the whole book, is really long, if someone can do a bit of summary of it nice.


Bookworm It has a ton of different, smaller story lines. There's Adam and his abuse at home, Ronan and his problems with his brother, and Blue and how she was destined to kill whoever
So Blue and her aunt Neeve or at this old church, where Blue's mother can see the spirit's of the soon-to-be dead. Blue see's a spirit, asks him for his name (Gansey), yada yada yada. Since Blue is not a seer, she has to either be the love of Gansey's life or his murderer.
Gansey himself has also was out that night, looking for clues to find this king who's name escapes me and he has his whole night recorded. When his friends listen to it, they hear a girl asking him for his name.
So Gansey schedules an appointment with Blue's family, but before he gets there, Whelk, the raven boy's latin teacher, also came in for an appointment. Maura chases him out. It is revealed that Whelk used to look for ley lines too, but some accident caused his friend, Czerny, to die.
So then they have their appointment, but Maura refuses to tell them about the ley lines. But Blue does help them, and they find this raven on the ground and this magic forest. There is this tree there that makes you see visions. Adam sees himself killing(?) Gansey, Blue sees herself in love with Gansey, and Gansey sees himself finding the king. They explore and even bring Noah, another friend, with them.
A bunch of other things happened too. Ronan finds Chainsaw, his raven, and Adam and Blue become romantically involved.
Blue and Gansey go out to the church, where they find a skeleton. When they look in his wallet, they find his name, (view spoiler) Of course, they call the police, but as soon as the body is removed from the corpse road, (view spoiler)
Blue also finds out Neeve has talked to Whelk before. Whelk himself has left town, but Neeve finds him and prepares to use him as a sacrifice, but her soon turnes the tables on her. Adam had snuck out, because he moved in with Gansey after his father beat him and damaged his ear. Gansey had found out too, and he, Ronan, and Blue all went back to that forest. (view spoiler)
Later, Blue, Ronan, and Gansey all go to (view spoiler)
I'm doing this all from memory, so I might have missed a few details, so if you notice something missing, tell me.


message 27: by Eris Vianney (new) - added it

Eris Vianney I think you pretty much got the essentials down, Bookworm! Made sense to me. Glendower was the name of the Welsh King (a national hero of Wales, by the way) and in Maggie's book he was said to grant a wish to whoever found him. And so began Gansey's quest!

The ley lines, by the way, are something that is talked about in real life. A lay line is "alleged alignments of ancient sites or holy places, such as stone circles, standing stones, cairns, and churches." Thank you Skepdic.com! So they're part of the New Age culture.


Bookworm Interesting. I don't know much about Welsh mythology, so this is all new to me.


Wendy I've been enjoying this thread. I have to say that I am a huge fan of Maggie Stiefvater's (even going to far as to tell her that I "stalk" her on Twitter, when I met her in the summer of 2011). Having said that, I had a tough time getting into The Scorpio Races at first. But once I did I loved it. With The Raven Boys I was drawn right in, but really had to pay attention to the plot. One thing you have to understand about her writing (especially in a series) is that she will leave things unresolved in the first book (think Lament and Ballad). That certainly happened in The Raven Boys. We find it hard to understand at first how she could possibly ever love Gansey, when she feels drawn to Adam. At the end of RB, we start to get a hint of that possibility. Not everyone will like her writing. I'm not a big fantasy/supernatural fan, but I can't put her books down!


message 30: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Wendy wrote: "I've been enjoying this thread. I have to say that I am a huge fan of Maggie Stiefvater's (even going to far as to tell her that I "stalk" her on Twitter, when I met her in the summer of 2011). Hav..."

ok cool


message 31: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia when i read some of Maggie Stiefcaters books, it was really cool 2 read, about the wolves of mercy falls. i really like 2nd part as well.


back to top