Israel SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Leviathan (Leviathan, #1)
This topic is about Leviathan
Book Club Reads > Leviathan - November 2012

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Esther (last edited Nov 17, 2012 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esther (eshchory) | 218 comments Mod
This month is Mod's Choice and I am the mod choosing so I thought we would try some steampunk before it goes out of fashion.
Please make sure to hide all spoilers using the spoiler tags!

To whet your appetites here is the book trailer.

message 2: by Nimrod (last edited Nov 18, 2012 05:07AM) (new) - added it

Nimrod Daniel (NimrodDaniel) | 314 comments Mod
The trilogy looks interesting and it's on my TBR but I'm afraid that reading Leviathan would require reading the whole trilogy and not just one book. I checked that issue and the second book picks up right where Leviathan left off, so I'll probably won't join to the reading of Leviathan.

Nimrod wrote: "The trilogy looks interesting and it's on my TBR but I'm afraid that reading Leviathan would require reading the whole trilogy and not just one book. I checked that issue and the second book picks ..."
Do you have a policy against trilogies or do you just not have time at the moment?

message 4: by Nimrod (new) - added it

I prefer not to start reading a series if I have no intention to read the whole series (in that specific time). If a book end a storyline then I have no problem to read just one book, but if it doesn't then most probably I won't read just one book in a series, it impairs the reading experience, and after all the reason I'm reading books is to enjoy the reading experience.

Tzippy (trempnvt) | 28 comments Excellent, this was already on my to-read list.

Tzippy wrote: "Excellent, this was already on my to-read list."

Glad to have someone join me.

Nimrod wrote: "I prefer not to start reading a series if I have no intention to read the whole series (in that specific time). If a book end a storyline then I have no problem to read just one book, but if it doe..."

So you always read series in one gulp? What about really long series or ones that are still being written?

message 8: by Nimrod (last edited Nov 18, 2012 10:23AM) (new) - added it

Relatively not that long ago I got back to reading so I have lots of books to read. I read series in one gulp, unless I can read one book and still get a satisfying ending.

I'm not thinking about reading long series at the moment. If a series is still being written then I'll probably won't read it if I can't get a satisfying ending, I have lots of other books to read so it's not that I have nothing to read in the meanwhile.

Nimrod wrote: "Relatively not that long ago I got back to reading so I have lots of books to read. I read series in one gulp, unless I can read one book and still get a satisfying ending.

I'm not thinking about ..."

I have no problem leaving a series 'hanging'.
I read the first book to see if I like the story/writing style but even if I like a book it is rare for me to read several books of a series in one go.
Notable exceptions are the last 2 books of The Hunger Games trilogy and, of course, Harry Potter.

message 10: by Simcha (new)

Simcha Lazarus (SCLazarus) | 258 comments Mod
I had started listening to the audio book a couple of years ago but didn't get all the way through it. I've been meaning to try reading the book to see if I would enjoy it more that way, so I guess now's my chance.

I'd love to get a hold of a paper copy since I hear that the book has some beautiful illustrations, but I'll probably have to settle for an ebook.

Tzippy (trempnvt) | 28 comments Esther wrote: "Nimrod wrote: "Relatively not that long ago I got back to reading so I have lots of books to read. I read series in one gulp, unless I can read one book and still get a satisfying ending.

I'm not ..."

You read all of Harry Potter in one go?

Tzippy wrote: "You read all of Harry Potter in one go? ."

I read the first three books which got me hooked. Then I bought the 4th book.
Then I reread 1-4 before the 5th came out.
Reread 1-5 before the sixth came out.
Reread 1-6 before the seventh came out.
And a few other rereads in between.

Biblibio | 4 comments Simcha - I don't know what the eBook looks like (sometimes they have good images), but I know that the drawings definitely add a lot to the story and are often very particularly placed, so it's probably safer to get a print copy.

Tzippy (trempnvt) | 28 comments I got the Kindle version, and it includes the illustrations.

message 15: by Nimrod (new) - added it

All the kindle versions includes exactly the same illustrations as the paperbooks, but I guess that the illustrations looks better on paper.

Biblibio | 4 comments I doubt they look exactly the same... some of the illustrations are two page spreads that stretch out beautifully over the crease. Not sure how all of those can translate into an eBook!

message 17: by Nimrod (new) - added it

I said that the kindle versions *includes exactly the same illustration*, but it looks different. If an illustration spreads over two pages then it will probably look smaller on kindle.

message 18: by Esther (last edited Nov 23, 2012 03:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Quite a few of the illustrations are on the web.
This is one of my favourites
map

This is a behemoth
behemoth

message 19: by Nimrod (new) - added it

The map looks great!

I am really enjoying this book so far. I studied the origins of WWI and WWII for my A-levels (UK Bagrut) so I find it interesting to which details have been altered and how much it follows the actual history of Franz Joseph and the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

I found two great sources of information on the history of the real Alex's parents and their assassination.

Wikipedia goes into a little more depth on the subject.

message 21: by Simcha (new)

Simcha Lazarus (SCLazarus) | 258 comments Mod
Esther wrote: "I am really enjoying this book so far. I studied the origins of WWI and WWII for my A-levels (UK Bagrut) so I find it interesting to which details have been altered and how much it follows the actu..."

That's one of the problems I have with reading steampunk (and any alt. history, really). My knowledge of history is so poor (I went to some really awful schools) that I can't remember what the real events were and it's hard for me to tell where fact veers from fiction.

On the upside, I do end up learning quite a bit of history while reading these books since I keep looking up information about the time period and the events that took place to know what really went on.

message 22: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon (jon17) | 64 comments I feel somewhat guilty reading alt history when I know there are plenty of great books out there about the real history. (Especially about huge events like WWI.) Oh well.

BTW, regarding Leviathan; there are still occasional reports of thylacine sightings, though none have been confirmed. Yes, tasmanian tiger existed.

message 23: by Nimrod (new) - added it

I think that the whole idea of alt. history is to imagine what would happen if... it's just for fun.

Reading history books is for one purpose - learning about historical events.

Jon wrote: "I feel somewhat guilty reading alt history when I know there are plenty of great books out there about the real history. (Especially about huge events like WWI.) Oh well.

BTW, regarding Leviathan;..."

For me it is just fiction and non-fiction. I prefer fiction so I enjoy reading alt.history.
What does annoy me is historical fiction that distorts the facts. I got really annoyed recently with The Other Boleyn Girl. I don't know whether Ms Gregory presents it as factual or not but it seems that most people take it as such. As a result she is influencing people's knowledge of a historical event in a way that is contrary to the available facts.

message 25: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon (jon17) | 64 comments So, what's in those eggs?
I wonder if it's some sort of humanoid creature.
Overall I liked the book and will probably read the next one in the series.

Tzippy (trempnvt) | 28 comments I like steampunk precisely because it's so far removed from real history that 1) historical inaccuracies that I recognize don't bother me, and 2) historical facts that are usually explained enough that it's not necessary to be familiar with the real history, but rather an added bonus.

I can't believe he finished half way through the story!! I've read series before but I've never had one where the first bok was basically incomplete.

But I did like book so I will continue the series.

message 28: by Nimrod (last edited Dec 04, 2012 11:15PM) (new) - added it

Esther wrote: "I can't believe he finished half way through the story!! I've read series before but I've never had one where the first book was basically incomplete.
"

That's one of the reasons that I prefer reading most of the trilogies in one go.

Tzippy (trempnvt) | 28 comments I'm about 70% of the way done and finally it's getting interesting. The first 70% of the book was mostly just an introduction to the world-building (which is fantastic) but way too light on plot and action.