Letters to a Young Poet Letters to a Young Poet discussion

A good Poet

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peaceful (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peaceful peace Rainer Maria Rilke has very peaceful and nice poems.I propose it.

message 2: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elizabeth Hey - I actually LOVED Letters to a Young Poet in college, with its advice about soul-searching and attending to one's own passion, respecting and living up to it - but as I've gotten older, it seems so navel-gazing, and I hate how irresponsible he was in the rest of his life - sacrificing his family on an altar to his won genius. But separating his personal life from his writing, I still enjoy some of his poetry.

Which Rilke poems do you particularly enjoy?

Hburke727 The Swan

Erica Maples i think he is a good poet for what i've read from that book, he knows what he's talking about, i've read the books 4 times already and i find some-thing new every-time i read it

Lixi I have really got into his poetry but I LOVE this book.
He is always at peace with himself - as my favorite pianist Glenn Gould commented, it is not easy to achieve that. I think I will definitely think differently when I read it again later in my life. But at this stage, solitude is the sweet haven for my heart and mind :)
I rank this book with Man's Search for Meaning.

message 6: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan Cornelis Lixi wrote: "I rank this book with Man's Search for Meaning. "

I agree, a very German soldier moral type of meaning. Being strong, resisting solitude, be a hero in the face of defeat. So masculine! :)