Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

The Library - Books and Books > Groothuis' "Christian Apologetics"

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maryann (new)

Maryann Spikes | 3 comments If anyone is interested in discussing Groothuis' "Christian Apologetics" here is what I've got so far: http://www.ichthus77.blogspot.com/201..., though I need to update it with chapter 15. It's only $4.08 on Kindle, btw :0) I'd be glad to copy/paste any of what I've got into this goodreads group if you'd prefer it all happen here.

message 2: by Rod (new)

Rod He sounds like a good teacher. I've never heard of him.

He seems to specialize in all my favourite topics. Fun stuff!

message 3: by Ned (new)

Ned | 206 comments I've read this and I consider it the best apologetics book that I have read to date, since it is well organized, concepts are clearly stated, and the discussions can be readily grasped by laypeople. I don't know why I never heard of him either. The book is biblically sound and easy to read.

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy Mish jentz | 44 comments Thank you Maryann for sharing. Is the book long? I like to read because the more I read the better I can witness. I find it hard to witness to people cause I can't think of the right things to say or quote Scripture.

One thin I have started doing is writing to inmates in prison. What moved me to do this is:

Matthew 25:36 (NIV)

36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

I only have one right now but am going to write to more. The very first thing I tell them is that I am not looking for a romantic relationship in order to get that cleared up. I am disabled and have been trying to think of ways I can serve God. I think this is one way.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 1864 comments Judy - yes, continue your nascent prison ministry - I don't know what about you is handicapped but it certainly isn't your Faith or your heart!

message 6: by Brent (new)

Brent McCulley (brentthewalrus) Amen, Judy. Encouraged by your faith!

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy Mish jentz | 44 comments This is the exact passage that moved me:

"Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners."
(Hebrews 13:3)

But I waited till I felt it in my heart. I like to do things this way because then I believe it is the Holy Spirit directing me and also it is genuinely from the heart. It is heartfelt.

I just sent a letter to an inmate at pelican bay today who is angry with God and thinking of turning Islam. I did my best to try and show him why he should continue in the Christian faith.

I have also sent an email to another via www.writeaprisoner.com The other is www.matthew2536ministries.com I like write a prisoner because you can go through the profiles and choose who you would like to write to.

These are lonely people. I have even decided that I am going to use my home address and not get a P.O. box. These people need God in their lives and they need someone to talk Scripture with, to continue in their faith.

"Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners."
(Hebrews 13:3)

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 1864 comments Judy - I admire your heartfelt desire to promote Christianity to these prisoners, but be careful in comparing them to the prisoners of Hebrews. The inmates referred to in Scripture are generally those incarcerated BECAUSE of their Faith - refusing to bow down before a Roman ruler. You're writing to criminals against society, paying of their offense with a just sentence behind bars (if anything, probably too lenient). These are often dangerous, conscienceless individuals. I would never have given my home address and wish you would reconsider. Minister all you can, but be wise about it. Maybe you outght to reread In Cold Blood.

message 9: by Rod (new)

Rod Thanks Robert. I was just about to say the same stuff you did.

You should definitely chat and share your faith with prisoners. But they are CRIMINALS. (I have been too!)

I used to work in prisons. Share your faith and nothing else unless you are willing to risk it. There are some sick evil people out there. Many con games and evil connections.

How is your discernment level Judy? I ask this honestly? If you are a loving, compassionate person who looks for the best in everyone - then maybe prison ministries are NOT for you.

As the Bible says: Matthew 10:16
“Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

But do whatever God has placed on your heart. I'm sure you will. God Bless your efforts.

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy Mish jentz | 44 comments Robert and Rod, you both say wise things. They almost make me want to reconsider. But I felt it in my heart and so I thought God was sending me in this direction.

I try to be careful and I initially tell them I am not looking for a romantic relationship. I get that out right away.

I received a letter from one yesterday and he was so happy to hear from me. I guess I will write back but if anything is ever said that sounds un-Christian, I will end it there. I really thought I was doing a service to God and yes I am a loving, compassionate person who looks for the best in everyone. But I know that there are those who can't be saved and are not trustworthy.

I am also emailing to a 26 year old who really seems to be a nice person who realizes he made a stupid mistake. He knows I'm 60 and that doesn't bother him. He genuinely seems like a very nice person who is paying his dues and going to change when he gets out in May. He even want to be pen-pals when he gets out.

You two got me worried now. I am wondering what I got myself into. But I have to put my trust in God Whom I pray will guide me and protect me.

message 11: by Rod (new)

Rod Judy talking in letters is a wonderful thing. Your safety is not as important as God's message. The Apostle Paul would agree.

But your heart and salvation is: I would hate to see anything turn you bitter.

the worst that could generally happen is you could get conned out of some money. But keep writing. You may be used by God mightily in a way we can't imagine. It's worth the risk.

message 12: by Brent (new)

Brent McCulley (brentthewalrus) Rod and Robert have some great points. Just be VERY careful. God will see you through.

message 13: by Judy (last edited Feb 10, 2014 05:41AM) (new)

Judy Mish jentz | 44 comments Thank you all. I don't know why, except that I can only think that it is God directing me, but I still feel OK about doing this. I have 3 so far and may have 1 more.

That will be all I will take on. Their letters seem sincere but I know they can be con jobs too. They all know I am not looking for a romantic relationship and they are Ok with that, they just want communication.

I have told all of them what moved me to do this. So they know where I am coming from. I express my Christianity and beliefs and if they want to, which they all have, it is up to them.

I really appreciate your genuine concern and have taken time to search my heart again and I still feel strongly that it is the right thing to do. I prayed to God for guidance and safety as well. My relationships are all strictly platonic and I am way older then all of them and they don't mind.

Again, I truly appreciate your views, they mean a lot to me.

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 1864 comments Godspeed, Judy.

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 2112 comments As Paul would say, all of us have different gifts, different ways that we can glorify God. Judy, you have the ability to do something that is far beyond my comfort zone ... I am quite introverted and extremely uncomfortable reaching out like that. I am in awe, and very glad that the Kingdom has folks like you. Thanks.

I know you're much more conservative than me, so an author you might enjoy is Charles Colson, who did a lot of prison ministry. He was himself in prison for a time.

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 1864 comments Good to hear from you again, Lee; we've all missed your unique input.

message 17: by Judy (last edited Feb 12, 2014 04:43AM) (new)

Judy Mish jentz | 44 comments Lee wrote: "As Paul would say, all of us have different gifts, different ways that we can glorify God. Judy, you have the ability to do something that is far beyond my comfort zone ... I am quite introverted a..."

Thank you Lee for all your kind words. Yes, I do feel it in my heart that what I am doing is right. I searched my heart and prayed to God and my heart told me it was the thing to do.

I am a people person to begin with. I worked in Customer Service all my life and love people. I think they are one of God's greatest gifts to us.

One of the inmates I am writing to is in for 2nd degree murder. This kind of made me think, but then look what Moses did and King David? Not only did David murder, but he first stole the man's wife from him and then had him killed. So God works with all different kinds of people and he forgives all who are seriously repentant. I do feel I am doing the right thing.

I said before that I don't jump on them right away with the Good News. I let them speak first and go from there. When I go through the profiles I look for those that are Christian. I always let them know that I am not looking for a romantic relationship. I have offered to send one man a Bible if he would like. He did not ask me for anything. It was my idea. If they don't have one or access to one, then I don't mind sending them one. I believe it is what God would want me to do and a good Bible doesn't have to be real expensive either.

I hope in my endeavors I do help someone. I have asked God to guide me in using the right words. Witnessing can be a challenge, esp. to an inmate.

Thank you for the book idea. I just may get it. It could be of help to me.

Lee, do you happen to know any of the names of the books of this author?

message 18: by Lee (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 2112 comments Judy, I read only The Faith, one of his later books. He wrote like a couple dozen. I found it very exclusive, so it was an uncomfortable read for me, and I haven't read more.

He's well-known, though, as Richard Nixon's hatchet man, and his prison time was for political corruptness. He converted to Christianity just before going to prison.

I'm thinking that some of his earlier books would tell more about his prison ministry and what Jesus can mean to prisoners (like him). Maybe others have read some and can recommend something?

message 19: by Judy (new)

Judy Mish jentz | 44 comments Thank you Lee, I appreciate it. I looked at Amazon yesterday and there are a whole slew of his books there. I could not decide on what might be the most interesting for me. But I have other books I have to get through first before ordering anymore.
Thanks again.

message 20: by Rod (new)

Rod Chuck Colson has written many interesting books. I think Chuck is now joining Lee in his very liberal Christian beliefs.
But his heart for ministry has always been over-flowing.