Short Story Contests discussion

Weekly Contests > Week 18 (Feb 24 - March 1st) DONE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Instructions:
Please do not use a story previously used on goodreads. After the week's contest, you are welcome to put it on your profile writings, but please refrain from using stories you have already put on there.

You have until Saturday afternoon to post a story on here. Please post it directly onto this topic, rather than posting a link. Also, please do not discuss stories on here. You must go to Weekly Short Story Contest Discussion http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6899... for that. This will avoid any clutter and confusion, so that people can simply come on here and read the story, without having to read comments on the story.

This week's Topic is Magic. If anyone has any objections to this topic, please go to the Objections post. The rules are pretty loose. You can write about a magic show, magic in general, or just have the word in the story.

Weekly stories must be at least 500 words long to 2,000 words long. (if the whole story won't fit in one post, divide it into two)

Good luck!

Clare

P.S. PLEASE say if you would like to have your story on Short Story Galore, if you win. This way it wouldn't take me ages to get your consent afterwards. This includes adding a link to your stories. If you want to have your story on the Short Story Galore, but not the link, just say so.

message 2: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments oh, can't pass this one up ;D

message 3: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune u better not! : P

message 4: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments haha... i pretty much have about fifty for this topic already.... just gotta pick one and get it out of mah head and into writing hahaha... :P
you haven't written one for a while either, haz you? :PP hahaha

message 5: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Name: Circus

Words: 1,404

Genre: Fiction

By: Clare

Notes: Ok, this one is extremely weird... It turned out way different than I'd planned when I started, but I suppose it'll work....

The lights flashed every color in strange mesmerizing shapes all over the impossibly large tent. People were packed in the bleachers, every possible seat taken. This circus had quite the reputation for being the best one around.
People were getting restless, waiting for the show to starts. Excited whispers echoed around the tent, filling it with noise. All of a sudden all the colorful lights stopped flashing around and turned abruptly to a brilliant white. After being in the rather dark tent filled with shadows and strange colors, the bright light blinded the people, and they immediately stopped talking. The lights changes back to normal almost immediately, and a voice boomed out through the tent.
“WELCOME LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. GIRL AND BOYS. BABIES AND TEENS, GRANDPARENTS AND GRANDCHILDREN. Also, all of those who are none of the above,” the loud voice continued, though quieting down, now assured of complete silence from the audience, “After all, we can’t all be ladies and gentlemen. It’s rather hard you see.”
That brought a few chuckles from the audience, along with a few clucks of disapproval. Somewhere, a baby started crying, his cry’s somewhat muffled by his mothers smothering to quiet him.
“Now what have you all come here for? The popcorn? The strange colored lights? The baby crying over there somewhere?” This also brought a few laughs from the audience, and most likely the embarrassment of a mother.
“No, you didn’t come for those things. You came to see a show. And a show we will give you!”
A blue spotlight lit up a circular stage that sat in the middle of the room. A pink one and a green one reviled two smaller ones on opposite side of the center stage. A trainer and his bear went into one of the smaller ones, and three acrobats flipped and cart-wheeled their way into the other. Everyone was looking everywhere trying to get it all. The bear roared in anger as the trainer provoked him, and the acrobats flipped and swung from ropes high above everyone’s head. Clowns rushed into the middle ring, and chased each other on little kid tricycles. The show went on for a little past an hour, with amazing feats from every one of the actors and actresses that graced its stage. Everyone performing flawlessly. Towards the end, the middle ring emptied and the spotlights went off. Amazing shows went on in the other two, so no one noticed the man who walked into the middle ring a few moments later, until he was already positioned in the center. Spotlights flashed once again.
“EXCUSE ME!” he said into a microphone attached to his neck cuff. Nearly everyone’s eyes flitted away from the other activities to the man. He was wearing a fancy top hat, and nice suit pants. His dark red coat was knee length and could almost pass for a band leader’s jacket. He wasn’t a clown though, that was for sure. He had a dark look about him, his face shrouded in shadow, but his light gray eyes practically glowed.

message 6: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune *Circus continued*

“Thank you for coming everyone,” he said in a wispy/wishful, yet serious, voice. The tent had gone silent, including the band that had been playing lively background music up until now. The two side acts slipped away, knowing that they wouldn’t get any attention now that the Trickster had captured the crowd’s awareness.
“Some call me Hatter, some call me Jack, but most call me Trickster. So what is it that I do? Magic? Do you want to see magic?”
The crowd roared its approval.
“Ah,” he said, putting up a finger, instantly stopping the surrounding noise. He circled to face every side for a few seconds before moving on. “But, my good people, what is magic?”
This brought a confused air to the audience. What kinda of a magician was he? He didn’t know what magic was? Was this simply a way to distract them?
“Magic,“ he said, “is pulling a bouquet of roses out of a hat.” He promptly dragged a bundle of flowers that matched his coat. “Magic, is throwing flowers in the air and having a dove fly out.” He turned the flowers over and shook them. A few petals fell, but no more. He then threw the bouquet high into the air. Three doves burst out and flew to three opposite sides of the tents. The roses fell and the man caught them all in his hat and immediately turned it over. Nothing fell out. He turned the hat so the crowd could see. It was empty.
“Magic is floating above the ground,” he said, and with a flourish of his long coat, he flew three feet in the air. He drifted down slowly. The crowd ooh’d and ahh’d their amazement.
“But, my good people, can you say that it is real and honestly believe it?” He looked at the crowd with an expectant look, but, as he had knew, there were no answer from the bewildered people.
“It’s all a trick, my fine people. Illusions of the eye.” He took his hat, and pressed a button on the inside of the hat. The black inside broke apart as the too flaps folded back against the hat. He tipped over the hat and out poured the somewhat rumpled roses.
“Created by the clever, fed to the expectant,” he continued, he unhooked the extremely strong, yet virtually invisible, ropes from his coat shoulders. Invisible only to those who didn’t look. Everyone could see them now that he held them out to the crowd.
“You want it, we give it. But why? Because, my dear people, we are all wanting something in our lives. Something miraculous. Something unexplainable.”
He clapped his hands together, and as his pulled them apart a pineapple appeared. He held it for a moment, and then let his hands drop. The pineapple that had looked so real disappeared. He smiled and held up his hands. There was a small hologram device on each palm.
The crowd started to mutter in puzzlement.
“SO,” he called, to finish speaking before he lost their attention completely, “you come here for miracles, so you can show your kids ‘magic’. Next time I suggest you try visiting a church for a real performance.” He smiled. The crowd didn’t understand what he was talking about, and it amused him. He gave them a small smile, and vanished. He simply disappeared, as if by....by....magic. As if to contradict everything he had just said. This was his favorite part. He confused people so much that they would think about it all day long, perhaps all night. Perhaps all week. He had left his mark on them. Some of them would come up with answers, theories, ideas, all blooming from his performance. Others would just think about it and throw it away in the back of their mind for the rest of time, labeling it ‘Weird stuff that will never make sense.’
He took his time going out the performer’s entrance. The ‘disappearance’ had simply been a trick with the lights of course, and if people had really looked, they would have seen the flashing and constantly moving spotlights had skipped over a certain spot at the end of his performance. Skill mixed with confusing mind illusions made his job easy, yet challenging. But he enjoyed it to full extent. In his own special way, he was preaching his belief. No one comes to the circus to hear some clown tell them to go to church, but if it is suggested in a clever line, such as “Next time I suggest you try visiting a church for a real performance,” people actually might think about it. They won’t think that the man was deliberately trying to get the idea through to them, and that brought them back to the show again and again (the only reason the circus master had kept him in the show). He changed it each time though. Those who came back from this crowd wouldn’t hear the same performance from him. The probably wouldn’t even recognize him. But that was how the Trickster liked it. He smiled. All he hoped to do was change lives. For the better. To think that the way to do that was to join the circus. He laughed and went to his trailer. He would have to think of what he’d do for tomorrow’s performance.

message 7: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments wow, kewl! haha, unusual, which fits the topic :D ... now i gotta write one :\

message 8: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune run, mono, run!

message 9: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments :|

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

"Magick"
By: Janellephant
Words:402

“Oh nope, I do not believe you!” I laughed at her. Rena and I were standing in the science room, school had just let out and rain was pounding on the windows.

“What? Oh come on!” She yelled back to me, “I m totally serious! He is so amazing!”

“Prove it.” I said with a smirk on my freshly glossed lips.

“Come on!” Rena grinned grabbing my hand in hers. Her long black hair flowed behind her brilliantly shinny.

She led me to the commons of the school, just down the hall from the 9th grade hall where we just were. The area was a bright yellow, the floors were a yellow color and the walls were yellow. On the steps leading to the lunchroom a boy was sitting shuffling a deck of cards. He had long blonde hair and green eyes, with a black shirt that said, “Stare at me long enough and I might do a trick.” He also had black slacks on. I raised my eyebrows to Rena.

“Matt!” Rena yelled, he looked up to her and smiled standing up so he could look at her in the eyes, instead of her towering over him. “Jade doesn’t believe me that you are a magician! Prove to her that she is wrong.”

“Please,” She added her gray eyes widening.

“Ok, ok,” He laughed and fanned the cards out, the numbers facing Rena and I. “So Jade pick a card and only show Rena.”

Looking at the cards I bit my tongue and examined them carefully. Finally I slipped the two of diamonds from his grasp and flashed it secretly to Rena, then held it to my chest.

“Ok,” Matt said. “Now put it face down on the palm of your hand and cover it with your other.” I obliged and he covered my hands with his. He shook our hands slightly and then released my hands were still clasped together. “Now check your card.”

I looked at my card it was gone! The card in my hands was the queen of spades.

“Woah! Where’s my card?” I asked showing the queen to a smirking Rena.

“Hey you!” Matt called to a passing kid that was in my math class. “Look in your wallet.”

“Ok,” The kid said looking oddly at him. Opening his wallet his eyes widened, “Uh did you lose this?”

In his hand was a two of diamonds.

(This is based on a true story my sister was in Jades place and her best friend was in Renas place.

message 11: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune wow, cool!

message 12: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments hahaha, kewl, reminds me of david blaine :D

message 13: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune wait, who? and aren't u supposed to be doing school mono? lol : P

message 14: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments david blaine, he's a street magic guy.. he's probly on youtube, i dunno. and i said that yesterdayy :P
now though, yesh, i should be. SO SHOULD YU! :P :D

message 15: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune oh, i understand now. kinda.
HEY NO FAIR! I SAID IT FIRST!

message 16: by jeeves... (last edited Feb 24, 2009 10:11AM) (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments :P
stop going off topic, clare'll kick us out.

message 17: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune I can kick myself out? i didn't know that... : /

if you're not gonna do school, at least go and write a stroy for bob's sake!

message 18: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments :P

message 19: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments Yay! I've got alot of ideas! (i just have to figure out how to shorten them!)

everyone THINKS I'm doing school!

message 20: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments Oh wait! can you do more than one story?

message 21: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments hahaha, i don't think so, but i'm not sure if clare ever actually specified.... ;D hahaha...

message 22: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune hmm, Idk if she did either....

lol well no, you can't write more than one story per contest (trust me, it hurts to say this, cuz I am SO tempted to write another for this one) but you can save it for another contest, or write a longer one and put it in the 2 week contest...

message 23: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments you should have this topic like once every two months... cuz there are so many possibilities, like wow... ;D

message 24: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune lol I know! hey, you know, thats an idea.... hmmm.... I'll have to see what the other moderators think of it...

message 25: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Arthur | 554 comments Mod
um.

message 26: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments I agree with mono!

message 27: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments Title: Angel of War
Words: Aprox. 1675
Author: Sunny

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

All of this would never have happened if it weren’t for the crazy old lady and her dog. If it weren’t for them I might not be walking through Bombay’s worst neighborhood at two in the morning!

Let me catch you up. I’m visiting India over summer vacation. It was my first time traveling alone and I had barely been there three days when I decided to ride on an open-topped bus to get across the city.

Apparently a lot of other people had the same idea because when I got there I found only one seat. So I crammed myself between a morbidly obese man who was fast asleep (and allowing his stomach to ooze over onto my seat) and a homeless lady. The woman’s eyes pointed in different directions and she was muttering constantly to a truly hideous terrier. I tried edging away from her because either she or the dog was letting off a strong aroma, but was stopped by the man’s stomach.

After about half an hour I fell asleep. I awoke an hour later and got off the bus and started to walk around down town. It wasn’t until I tried to buy a bowl of soup that I realized that the old lady, whether she was crazy or not, was a pickpocket. She had taken my passport and my wallet.

“Damn!” I swore.

“What’s wrong?” asked the woman suspiciously.

“My wallet’s been nicked,” I grumble.

She seized the steaming bowl out of my hands and announced, “No money, no food!”

“I guessed that!” I said irritably. As I walked down the street I realized that my vacation had just gone to hell, I was stranded miles away from the hotel I was staying at with no money to get back and no identification. I still had my cell phone in my pocket but who was I going to call? My parents, back in Maryland? That would do a lot of good! “Hi mom and dad, Bombay’s beautiful—execpt I’m stranded in market place with no money and I can’t leave the country with out my passport.” Yeah.

I decided that I should start walking back in the direction of the hotel because it was already like six and it would take me hours to get back. I started walking when I heard a woman’s thickly accented voice calling my name. “Angelica! Angelica!”

I turned to see a tiny woman sitting a card table on the street. I didn’t know enough Indian to be able to read her sign but I should guess what she did by the crystal ball and deck of tarot cards, a fortuneteller.

“Erm, me?” I asked pointing to myself.

“Angelica isn’t really an Indian name is it?” she asked.

“Not really,” I conceded. “How do you know my name?”

“That doesn’t matter!”

I was about to contradict her but she started talking again. “You want tarot card or palmistry?” she asked, and then added in a whisper, “The crystal ball doesn’t really work, it’s just for show.”

“I don’t have any money,” I said quickly.

“Doesn’t matter. For you, it’s free,” she said.

“Well, I suppose,” I said, dropping into the chair opposite of hers.

“So which one?” she asked.

“Palmistry,” I decide on the spur of the moment.

She seizes my hand and I shiver, her hands are cold as ice even though it’s at least ninety degrees today.

“I see, you have lots of spirit, you love adventure. But you don’t think things out very well, but….” She gasped. “Something important is coming! A big change and… you will find romance!”

I tried not to, really I did, but a snort escaped me.

“You doubt me?” she asked. Seeming quite annoyed.

“Yeah!” I said. “Come on! Try making it at least a little bit original!”

“Well then, if you’re dissatisfied, take this. Now shoo!” she said huffily and handed me a smooth black ring carved from what looked like onyx or hematite.

I got up and shoved the ring onto my pocket and felt the crinkle of money. I pulling out the wad of money I realized it was one of my worst habits that had saved me. Whenever I bought something I never could remember to put the money in my wallet, instead I would cram it in my pocket and by now I had almost thirty dollars. Yes! Now I could get back!

I arranged the money, put it in my pocket and pushed the ring on. Might as well wear it!

The ride back was long and boring but I stayed awake to prevent being robbed again (not that there was much to take, now).
When I arrived at the hotel I went up to my room and immediately ate a sandwich and what was left over of last night’s take-out.

Feeling better I decided to take a better look at the ring, the only thing I had brought back from the day’s adventure. I was perfectly smooth and reflected the light, the more I looked at it the more I liked it. I turned it again and suddenly it felt slippery and cold and it tumbled through the air and landed on the concrete floor with and echoing crunch.

message 28: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments I woke several minutes later to find myself lying on the floor. That was weird, why had I collapsed? Heatstroke maybe? I got up and pulled the black hood of my sweatshirt over my dark pixie cut.

I looked up and realized my window was open, “Great! That just fantastic! God! Why does all the bad stuff have to happen at once?” I stomped over and shut it feeling stupid. First I had been robbed, then I collapsed and now I found out that me window had been open the whole time! I stopped. But it hadn’t been open, this window had been impossible to open ever since I had gotten the room. What was going on?

I walked into the bedroom and nearly shrieked, because sitting on my suitcase, looking cute was a little girl! She had long blond hair and blue eyes that matched her dress with her bare feet just visible under the hem.

“Hello, my lady,” she said sliding off the suitcase and curtseying.

“What are you doing in my bedroom?” I demanded.

“I’m sorry. I came in your room because it smells nicer than the kitchen,” she said, smiling at me.

That was very true, the kitchen stank. “How did you get in?” I asked.

“But you let me in of course,” she said, confused.

“What?”

“When you opened the portal.”

“What?!”

“The black rings control them, you must have one.”

“I used to, but I broke it.”

“Oh, we’ll have to find another one then to send me home,” she decided brightly.

I was starting notice some things about the girl, like she was too beautiful to be natural and ears were rather… pointy.

“Are you an elf?” I asked incredulously.

“No! I am a fey!” she sounded hurt. “Aren’t you?”

I laughed, “No! Of course I’m not!”

“Then, your.,…. a human?!”

“Yeah, what did you expect?” I asked, flopping on the bed

“But you opened the portal! Humans don’t control the power, and humans are really, really rare! Nobody I know except the elders have ever seem one!” she said, climbing on the bed too and pulling the hood back to see my face more clearly. “May I, er, poke around?”

“Sure,” I said assuming she meant looking at my stuff, but instead she placed her hand on my forehead, I felt an odd buzzing in my scull and the fey’s face swam in and out of focus.

“Oh my God!” she exclaimed. “You have it! You have the power!”

“The power?” I asked, snapping back to reality.

“I guess humans would call it..” she hesitated, searching for the right world. “Magic.”

“I have “the power”?” I asked. “That is stupid. I’ve read tons of books about humans with magic; they all have weird stuff happening around them. I never have, I’m your average American teenager. Besides, I thought you said humans don’t have magic.”

“The reason your power’s never acted up is because it were never needed.”

“And it is now?”

“Yeah, duh! The war, we need as many fighter as possible!”

“What war?” I demanded.

“There’s this war going on back home. Which means I have to get back home at tell them there are humans we can recruit! I need you to open the portal again and come with me so they can see you!” she said, bouncing with excitement.

“I told you, the ring’s smashed,” I said.

“Well, were did you get it them?”

“Some crazy old fortuneteller. Her stall was way across the city and she’s not going to be there any, more, she’ll be at home.”

“Let my see her,” she demanded, reaching across and placing her hand on my head.

After several seconds she removed her hand, “Well that’s easy. The sign on the table said her address and another thing, she wasn’t human, she was a goblin.”

“Oh gross, no wonder hand was so cold!” I said in disgust.

“Alright, lets go, we’ve got to get there as soon as possible!”

I got up and pulled some more money out of my sock drawer, pulled on some sandals, flipped up my hood and took the fey’s hand. “What’s your name?” I asked.

“Beoncia,” she answered, smiling. “But you can call me Bee.”

“I’m Angelica, you can call me Angel,” said replied.

“Angel. You are one, I think you’ve won our war for us,” said Beoncia.

The bus would take us only so far after then we had to walk; which is how I ended up walking in the worst part on Bombay at two in the morning, looking for a fortuneteller who’s really a goblin without passport or vary much money.

After all this I only have one piece of advice. Stay away from crazy old ladies with ugly dogs.

message 29: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments Oh, if my story wins i would like it published on Short Stories Galore!

message 30: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments I love all of them!!!!

I gotta get going on mine!! I've been crazyyyy busy with school i feel like i've been slacking...
x.x

message 31: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune that was AWESOME sunny! good job! are u going to continue on that story?

message 32: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments ooh, I liked the ending!

thanks Clare! Yeah, I think I'll continue the story! Hmmm, I sgould probably find out home to post them on my page lol!

message 33: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune good story!

lol! sounds like a plan!

message 34: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments indeed! lol!!

message 35: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (last edited Mar 13, 2009 01:25PM) (new)

Name: Tuck Coe
Words: 1940
Genre: fiction/ magic
By: Arthur
Notes: I was having a fun time writing this but realized I was running to a problem with the end. Tucker remains the main character but learned a little about being a leader in his adventure in the wood.

Tuck Coe

He took his last swing but made no contact with the ball. That must have been his third strike and now he was technically struck out. Out on his old luck and on the road. Mary had disliked his last joke the one that made her sick of his feminist ways and asked Tucker to please step out of her car. He shivered. He shrugged. He looked up into the drying winds that hung over him bending into an evening dust. The sun disappeared leaving grey mists. He drew on his jacket threw out his chest but knew how to get home, wherever that was in reality.

Tucker this Tucker that Tucker you . . .

He stepped into the middle of the puddle of dried up leaves that was made to stick together by the road in mud from some days ago. He wiped off his heavy boots. He laughed to himself and then bravely moved on. Shouldering the pain of being alone in the dark he merely tried not to laugh some more.

His job at the Pricedex Software/Gas was getting to him now. But then work is not a place to blow off ones fuse. This was life.

With all the events of his life summed up as two corrections. One he could always be alone because he couldn’t control his language. Two even if he had he’d never see a long life because he wanted to live quick.

Tuck Coe had no religion, he has no belief in the gods or magic and felt nothing for the subject he would have to personally disbelieve as myth.

He felt tiny with a grudge when Mary ditched him and he began to savor the idea now how to get back and even with Mary. On the other hand he wanted to keep his nose clean at least in the town so as not to be mistaken as the town stalker or whatever it was called and so he shrugged off the offenses he was imagining in his mind.

He began to sing a song instead thinking he had heard it once before but then realized he was merely entertaining himself with a singsong he would makeup on the spur of the moment. “There must be your way

Getting yourself so far away

Now must this be the way

With you not coming back as you was,” He would sing pronouncing each word as if they were the notes and with a loud thrumming voice adding to his high hisses at the ends.

He stopped a moment when heard some rustling in a wood that was ahead along the road. He had to walk in the direction to get to the town so he just did his best to ignore it. In the far deeper recess of an open area farther behind him he heard a howling and knew it was a strange dog looking and barking into the full moon.

He quickened his pacing when he realized he had already altered it when he had become frozen for a second. He began to pass that area without hesitation then he saw the green and black leaves coming to life soon realizing it was the rustling only of a man traveling nimbly onto the road too.

He was not alone on the road now at least. Another Joe to share the road. He turned to the man with his best and friendly smile. As if for himself he was saying hey don’t be a stalker okay. But then who else would be found along a road but one of them. Tuck realized the face had to look right. Or he could just continue to walk on without turning back and they both could continue ignoring each other.

“So where you headed now?” Asked the red face even though he did not appear as if he was embarrassed at all with asking and for someone strange or with his just standing out from the wood in the night alone also in approval.

“Nowhere? Who cares?” Tuck said with a rude smirk and sounded kind of like he let it out with all his might.

“I do,” Red face said, but judging Tucker’s emotional face changed his mind. “No. No one could. But I must find out where I now am.” The red face looked embarrassed now.

“Am? How could you really be lost?” Tuck asked.

“Yes. Well, see I was uh heading over to town but haven’t found this before.” He was pointing with a finger to the road. Tucker looked into the man’s face but saw his eyes were nothing more than black. Tucker had to laugh but hang-it-all he had not dared too. The old face should have been familiar even with it being dark but Tucker decided he could not remember the face.

“So, why should I know?” Tuck finished. Turning towards the road, he nodded away from the red face and say. “Heck it’s that way I guess.” And began to walk a little. The old man just stood there in wonder.

To Tucker his town Atikokan looked like a big outcropping but very miniaturized of a metropolis. He looked back and ask red face, “You coming or not?”

“It’s Fiend.” Red face said.

“You’re named Fiend?” Tucker should have known. And he should have recognized the Ojibwa-Potawatomi voice from him too. Red face turned and looked again toward the road Tucker was on and down it away toward where he thought should be able but could not see the town then his expression was one that looked like he was not coming.

“Suit yourself. Fiend I’ve gotta go. I’m not engine red like you who okay’d in the normal cold before. I’m going into town.”

“What is this road named?” Fiend enquired.

“Uh 622. So why?” Still trying to help Fiend but Tucker said, “You think you still lost?”

“Yes maybe. Very lost.” Fiend said. “I’ve found gold!” Then with a becoming hand waved Tucker to come into the wood to see.

Finally after hundreds of years someone else had the gold bug.

message 36: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (last edited Mar 13, 2009 01:25PM) (new)

“No ways I’m going to see tonight. Besides,” he waited a second wondering if it was real what he was trying to say to Fiend, “no way round here Fiend. ‘aybe cause there only found iron ore around here. You’re off your rocks.”

“That’s what I came into this wood to find and I’ve found it.” Fiend implied with dignity that also sounded a little bad that he was now a little offended by Tucker’s disbelief. “All those years searching and after all there was a mine down in the Sheep Rock area that sold shares but I goes off on my own and now I’m rich.”

“Sheep Rock, that old mine. No Fiend that place was in the history books, it’s been closed mining for gold for a hundred years.” Tucker insisted.

“A hundred years? What road did you say this was again, 622? I’ve never heard of it. Why’d they name it a number?”

Tucker was cold, bitter, flat and embarrassed. Mary let him out on the road and with his bad luck he met a loony. “It takes no magic Fiend. 622 is a highway. Then and now. I gotta go. ”

Tucker began to move but he saw that Fiend began to turn into the wood.

“Hey, town is this way Fiend. You are going ‘a catch cold more like and someone find you dead!” He stepped toward the wood seeing Fiend beginning his running. Like an Indian untrusting an enemy because Fiend untrusting he was fast into a run.

Tucker ran after him. “Fiend stop! Fiend! I’ll see the gold for god’s sake. Stop!” But Tucker ran and ran finally losing him around a turn. Tucker hollered again and again, “Fiend! Fiend!” but the old red face disappeared.

When Tucker turned he had not fully realized how deep he had got in the wood while looking for the strange old man. Tucker eventually had difficultly locating anything that looked familiar. He could not find the old road he came off.

In disparity he kept calling out ‘Fiend’. But the old man was no where to be seen.

He eventually found an old canoe. Tucker knew they had canoes in Rainy River but couldn’t imagine where a relic like this canoe would have been from. He quickly thought it must be the crazy Fiend’s canoe. Tucker walked over to it looking at it as if in hope it contained travel supplies. Within it it had some yellow sandy bag in the middle, Tucker had to get into it to look inside the bag.

When Tucker leaped into the canoe it caught in the water and was unsettled and begun to move away from the shore. Ignoring that Tucker looked into the bag. In it was a large lump of gold. His eyes jumped out. But then he noticed there was no oar in his canoe. While looking back toward the shore, several feet away, he saw the old man peering at him.

Tucker shouted. “Fiend, there’s no oar!”

He had begun being pulled down into the stream pulling the canoe which was going down further and further with the river.

Tucker began to realize he could stay afloat if he remained unseriously nervous and stayed steady while in the canoe. Which was moving faster and faster and unsteady with his nervousness.

“I have it! I have it!” Tucker shouted to Fiend, pointing to the bag. His words tumbled out in triumph for he now realized he was in Fiend’s canoe and that the oars must have been hidden on shore!

Fiend remembered his trouble lifting the gold into the canoe and his red face twisted into a snarl as he remembered.

Tucker remained afloat to his surprise and his unnerved orientation of being free without oars in a boat. He was going down steam in a rush, but Fiend had oars, and hid them, so he must have gone up the stream against the water current as boat people did. Tucker wondered if he was going the way Tucker had come. Maybe the canoe will stop where Fiend could find him. That would be okay, but taking him farther away from town.

And it was suddenly more colder than before.

The moon had been showing. The quietness was drowned out by the sounds of being in a canoe. Tucker refused to jump in fear he would get pneumonia. He tried paddling with his hands for a while but with no results. He was caught in the flow of the river.

A brightness shinny like metal appeared as if by magic in front of Tucker. It grabbed about his eyes causing Tucker to absorb it as energy. He felt as if turned inside out but not turned out side in.

When his vision and pain subsided it was of him in the canoe flowing down a river but in day break. He let out a knowing scream!

He heard the animals on the banks that were so numerous he knew where he was headed. He had traveled magically through time just as the red face Fiend had. Tucker was carrying Fiends gold too! That meant he was trapped unless he could find oars and find the spot and travel back into his time. How that happened he did not understand. But he knew there were no roads at all in Fiends time. There was only a fur trading post hundreds of miles off in the other direction he wasn’t going in. Tucker sat down steady and calm and sighed.

The End.

message 37: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments wow, cool stories, everybody!
and sunny, very interesting indeed...
*sigh* i had no tiiiime... oh well..

message 38: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments :C oh, sad jeeves!

oh hard choice don't know which one to vote for!

message 39: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune no kidding!

message 40: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments ko nidding...

message 41: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments hey, arthur put the poll up but he didn't make it "featured" so it's like at the very bottom.... are you able to change that?

message 42: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Yeah, he must have just forgot. Sure thing = ]

By the way, people, this poll is closed! Please go vote!

message 43: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments *whispers* she meens teh contest is closed, the poll is open :P clare iz tired... ;D

message 44: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Whoops! sorry! lol the CONTEST is closed! I am tired, and I actually got sleep last night! : / lol

message 45: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

In case you are wondering you may vote in the contest poll follow link
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/10...

Good stories everyone!

message 46: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments hmmmmmmmm, choices, choices!

message 47: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments no kiddingz...

message 48: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

*NEW WINNING RESULTS ARE IN*

Short Stories latest winner of weekly contest is Sunny! Sunny with her story named 'Angel of War' will enliven readers and is simply a new must read. 4 votes, 50.0% Congratulations Sunny!! This story will be displayed on Story Galore.

message 49: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments grats sunny!! :D

message 50: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments sank you!!! and thanks to every one else too!