What's Cookin' discussion

Archives > Blue Cheese dressing

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika (new)

Erika Anyone have any good recipes? I just tried some homemade that I really loved, and wanted to make some myself. Not sure which kind of blue cheese to use either... any help would be much appreciated!

message 2: by Will (last edited Feb 23, 2009 06:18AM) (new)

Will Kester | 865 comments Hi, Erika. Bleu (or blue) cheese dressing comes in two forms--creamy and chunky-styles. Creamy has the cheese blended with oil and seasonings but little or no vinegar to the consistency of Ranch Dresing but much tastier. I prefer vinaigrette dressings with bleu cheese crumbles in it. Don't like so much vinegar, use red or white wine, olive oil or other oil to taste and herbs you like such as dried parsley, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, basil, etc.

One could just add the cheese crumbles as a topping but allowing the cheese crumbles to mix with the other flavors improves both, I think. Shake well before pouring and enjoy. Definitely buy bleu cheese crumbles to do this or crumble it before adding to the wine or vinegar; otherwise it will make a gooey ball of stuff. I make a lime base vinaigrette with olive oil, basil and crumbled bleu cheese (sometimes with a tiny splash of balsamic vinegar in it) that is always a bit hit in the summer.

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika Boy Will, you get around huh? You make me laugh with all you know.

It all sounds delicious - I'm giving it a try tonight, and I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

message 4: by Will (new)

Will Kester | 865 comments What's amazing is what I DON'T know, Erika. But food, I love. Hope it turns out great for you. I just like that you want to make dressing. So many people buy the stuff in bottles at the store and miss the liveliness of freshly made dressing.

message 5: by Erika (new)

Erika Well, I got too lazy last night, too busy with other stuff, so I didn't get around to making it yet. But sometime this week for sure! I've never made any creamy dressing like this before, so I can't wait to see how it turns out and hope that it's worth the wait!

message 6: by Will (last edited Feb 24, 2009 11:59AM) (new)

Will Kester | 865 comments So you wanted the creamy style dressing? It's easy, just put some oil, bleu cheese, a touch of garlic and onion powder, a tiny pinch of salt (optional) in a blender and whir it 'till it's creamy and pourable. Not pourable? Add some more oil or some white wine...or even some milk but not too much--it'll smooth right out. What you want to taste is the bleu cheese. I cheat. I add some parmesan (not much) for more bite. It's really easy to make, Erika--much easier than going to the store for dressing. 'course yah gotta have the cheese.

You really should try the chunky-style some time, too; it's awesome.

message 7: by Erika (new)

Erika Both creamy and chunky sound marvelous, I have just never made any dressing that wasn't oil based. So I had no clue where to start. Thank you for helping me out =)

message 8: by Will (new)

Will Kester | 865 comments It's oil-based, just not a lot of oil. In normal dressing you'd do what? About one to one of oil and vinegar? This is about the same but cheese is half with liquids (oil and wine) the other half. Enjoy.

message 9: by Erika (new)

Erika I just had a brilliant idea. Have you ever tried anything like this with feta? That is my favorite kind of cheese... that would be sinfully delicious.

Yep, normally I would do a one to one, I will enjoy, I can't wait, thank you Will!!!

message 10: by Will (last edited Feb 25, 2009 09:24AM) (new)

Will Kester | 865 comments I've never done it with feta, but I think it would be good. My concern would be that it doesn't have strong enough flavor to hold up to the dillution. Bleu cheese has lots of flavor--too much for some people--and dilluting it improves it somewhat. Let me know how it turns out, please.

It won't be French roquefort cheese, though--huge import taxes levied on it by the Bush administration in his final days in office. Prices will soar, I'm betting.