The History of Love The History of Love discussion

review

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marcia Vogel Some lovely writing but too hard to follow. You must have alot of uninterrupted time to read this.

Maggi I agree completely. A difficult book to understand, but very interesting nonetheless. Frustrating.

Alana Conner But the tiny illustrations (heart = Leo; book = Zvi, etc.)at the beginning of each chapter make it easier to follow, no? I thought the depth of the feeling warranted the complexity of the narrative.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy This is good to hear, as I thought it was just my lack of attention. Once I started to get a better feel for and deeper feelings for the characters, I agree with Alana, the depth is the beauty of the novel. Besides, I love to go back and reread passages. I which I could go back and reread parts of my life.

Leslie I think the thing with this book, and many others, is to give yourself to it and trust the author, that she created the questions and she will answer those questions for us, the readers. I didn't understand so much of it as I read, but I loved it, the writing, the voices, all of it, and I knew that by the end I would know what I needed to know and I feel like I did. It is very complex and I could probably go back and read it again and understand it even better. I really did love this book. It's kind of like letting someone you trust drive you all around a city you've never been to before. Just sit back, enjoy the sights, and feel confident the driver knows where you need to go and knows how to get you there.

Brian I agree with Leslie (message 5) about trusting the author. I did that on the first read and I was totally confused regarding who was who and how the mystery of Leo's book were resolved, but the precisely drawn characters and the brilliant writing carried me though. I loved it. And on the second read I think I appreciated how the characters (a very old man who had suffered more hurt than seemed bearable, a thief who stole an identity and was forever guilty, and two children trying in their own ways to cope with the loss of a parent) demand that complexity. Nothing less would serve them. Nothing less could lead us to the final heartbreak.