Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Group Info > Nomination Time!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 73) (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (last edited Nov 20, 2012 04:43AM) (new)

Maggie K | 1116 comments Mod
The last book for our Abercrombie series read will start December 15. This means come January we will be able to start a new series!

Here is the place to nominate ideas for our next series read.

In the meantime, our WOT read is still in process, smoothing skirts everywhere!

Everyone can make on nomination and one second. All books must be seconded to be nominated!

message 2: by Hanne (last edited Nov 15, 2012 09:15AM) (new)

Hanne (Hanne2) I am planning to read the Paksenarrion series by Elizabeth Moon. I'd love to have some company!

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) Lol @ Maggie. I made it to book seven and that was me done for WoT.

I am not sure what series I want to read next. I think I'll probably run Malazan again, But I' ll be open to another read here.

message 4: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (Shelley69) | 597 comments Hey Mags!! :) Are you guys going to read 'Red Country' after 'The Heroes'? I just finished it and it's friggin amazing!!!

I would like to recommend GRRM's A Song of Fire and Ice Series! :)

message 5: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) @ shells, so we start in Jan 2013 and finish in Oct 2023?

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) WTH: why not nominate something I have needed an excuse to read.

Wars of light and shadow series by janny wurts?

message 7: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) And my last nomination:

Book of the last sun series: Gene Wolfe
Since we like our torturer characters ;)

message 8: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) The Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman, book one is
Black Sun Rising

message 9: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel I nominate to readMichelle Sagara West. The First series starts with The Sacred Hunt [2 books] Hunter's Oath, The Sun Sword [6 books]The Broken Crown , and The House War [5 books] The Hidden City. I figured if we start in January by the time the 13 book in this world will be out in hardback.

message 10: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (Shelley69) | 597 comments Lee wrote: "@ shells, so we start in Jan 2013 and finish in Oct 2023?"

Yep!!! So put it on your calender! LOLLLL... ;-)

message 11: by Shelley (last edited Nov 16, 2012 05:47AM) (new)

Shelley (Shelley69) | 597 comments I nominate Glen Cook's 'Black Company' series! The Black Company

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 71 comments I'd like to nominate the Fionavar Tapestry series by Guy Gavriel Kay. I've been meaning to read that one for a while!

message 13: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (KJD321) I'd like to nominate the Pendragon Series by D.J. MacHale. I've read the series multiple times and I thought they were fantastic books.

message 14: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 405 comments Lee wrote: "WTH: why not nominate something I have needed an excuse to read.

Wars of light and shadow series by janny wurts?"

Lee, your enthusiasm is delightful - but (in the interest of saving the moderators' time) that series already was discussed here to kick off the group.

The discussions for War of Light and Shadows are still here in archive, and are still wide open to comments - though Vol I, The Curse of the Mistwraith and vol II, Ships Of Merior are archived with the sister group, Fantasy Book Club. (They were voted in as book of the month, and that caused the incentive for a series group, for any who are interested in group history). I believe there are links to those folders in the introductory threads.

message 15: by Helen (new)

Helen | 767 comments Lee wrote: "@ shells, so we start in Jan 2013 and finish in Oct 2023?"

And there I was thinking I'd have to live to 100 to read the end!

message 16: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) @ Helen, In Oct 2023 I predict the group gives up on finishing the series.

message 17: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) @ Janny
Thanks for that., I'll still leave it nominated, the group readers change a lot and so there could be plenty of new groupies keen to try it.

Otherwise I guess I'll have to set up a buddy read :)

message 18: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Shelley wrote: "Hey Mags!! :) Are you guys going to read 'Red Country' after 'The Heroes'? I just finished it and it's friggin amazing!!!

I would like to recommend GRRM's A Song of Fire and Ice Series! :)"

Shells! WTH have you been??? I thought you were gonna come back and read through Abercrombie with us?!?!?!

message 19: by Helen (new)

Helen | 767 comments How about Shadowmarch by Tad Williams.

message 20: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (Shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Hey Mags!! :) Are you guys going to read 'Red Country' after 'The Heroes'? I just finished it and it's friggin amazing!!!

I would like to recommend GRRM's A Song of Fire and Ic..."

Hhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahaahaaaa.... I'm sorry hon, it was summer time here and I seriously had a fantastic summer with lots of sand, sun and drinking! :) Plus I started a new job and it's been a struggle to fit in Goodreads! I've been receiving the emails and checking in on your discussions from time to time, I love Joe!!!

Anyway since it's cooled off here, I've been catching up on my readings and just finished Forge of Darkness and Red Country, both fantastic reads, so if you read the series thru to Red Country, I'll join ya for that discussion! :)

How you been?? :)

message 21: by Evilynn (new)

Evilynn | 68 comments I'd like to re-read The Fionavar Tapestry, it's something I read (in translation *gasp*) in my formative years and really loved, and I want to see if I still like it.

I've been curious about the Coldfire Trilogy too.

message 22: by Tara (new)

Tara | 12 comments I'd like nominate The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks here is the first book The Way of Shadows
Also, the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King

message 23: by Pedro (new)

Pedro António | 9 comments I second the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King

message 24: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny Seconded to Black Company nomination.

message 25: by Gianluca (new)

Gianluca (GianlucaG) I vote for The Black Company too. It's one of my favorite fantasy series and I haven't met many other fans around here, which is a shame.

message 26: by Allison (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) Helen wrote: "How about Shadowmarch by Tad Williams."

I second Shadowmarch! I've been wanting to read it for ages!

message 27: by Rakib_khan (new)

Rakib_khan | 6 comments Shanara series or Orcs or Riftwar???

message 28: by Mike (new)

Mike | 7 comments I third the Dark Tower series.

message 29: by Kerrie (new)

Kerrie (mrskerriej) | 4 comments Nomination: Glenda Larke's Stormlord Trilogy (also known as The Watergivers)

message 30: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jediTimothy) | 9 comments Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb I have been thinkg of this series.

message 31: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (last edited Nov 21, 2012 06:58PM) (new)

ok-RIGHT NOW----things stand as followes:

Nominated and seconded:
The Black Company
The Fionavar Tapestry
Shadowmarch
The Dark Tower
A Game of Thrones
Black Sun Rising
A Shadow in Summer
The Night Angel Trilogy
The Warded Man
Monster Hunter International
The Deed of Paksenarrion
Shadow and Claw
The Last Stormlord

Still needs a second:
The Merchant of Death
Hunter's Oath

edit to update!

We have already read the Janny Wurtz series, the Robin Hobb series, Ryria revelations and Mistborn

message 32: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (KJD321) I'll second A Game of Thrones. I've been meaning to read that series.

message 33: by John (new)

John | 2 comments I'd like to nominate Larry Correia's Monster Hunter Series, the first book is Monster Hunter International

message 34: by Denice (new)

Denice (dmt60) I'll second Monster Hunter International and The Night Angel Trilogy

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim | 7 comments I'll second Black Sun Rising

message 36: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

I just thought of a great nomination: The long price quartet by Daniel Abraham!

A Shadow in Summer

message 37: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (Hanne2) I'll second the long price quartet! Looks interesting

I think Mistborn was read just before Abercrombie, no?

message 38: by Kerrie (new)

Kerrie (mrskerriej) | 4 comments I'll second The Night Angel Trilogy

message 39: by Matt (new)

Matt (mjmac85) | 2 comments Night Angel Trilogy. Just finished Dark tower myself. Awesome series.

message 40: by Kerrie (new)

Kerrie (mrskerriej) | 4 comments I'm going to be naughty (sorry, I know it's only one nomination each) and mention Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle.

The Painted Man (Warded Man - US) is awesome and I would love another reason to re-read. Plus the third book is due for release early 2013 - bonus!

message 41: by David Sven (last edited Nov 20, 2012 12:29PM) (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 123 comments Wouldn't mind a Dark Tower reread. Then again I've been wanting to check out Brent Weeks for a while so I'll go with Night Angel Trilogy

message 42: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) I second a shadow in summer.
I also second The Warden Man

message 43: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn The Dark Tower by king

message 44: by Rjhall (new)

Rjhall | 1 comments I'll second the long price quartet or warded man

message 45: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 38 comments Night Angel Trilogy...it's been sitting on my "to read" shelf for far too long.

message 46: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 50 comments I'll second Shadow and Claw. Been meaning to get around to re-reading it.

message 47: by William (new)

William Edmondson (liamedmondson) | 2 comments Alot of good series here... how about the Rai-Kirah trilogy by Carol Berg?

message 48: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (last edited Nov 21, 2012 05:09AM) (new)

ooooohhhh...Rai-Kirah is the best thing ever! I second that!

message 49: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 2 comments I would like to second Shadow and Claw. I've been meaning to read it for months.

message 50: by Gamu (new)

Gamu (Gammuc) | 1 comments I second the demon cycle. Its good. I nominate riyria reveletions by michael j. Sullivan. It surprised ne and loved it

« previous 1