Karen Chance Fans discussion

Seanan McGuire
This topic is about Seanan McGuire
Book Corner > Seanan McGuire Discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 224) (224 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 11249 comments Mod
Our group read of Seanan McGuire's October Daye series starts this weekend, so I hope lots of you will join in!

Even if you're not actively reading along with us, I know lots of you are familiar with the books, so do share your thoughts as we read along. :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm starting today. They're making me take vacation due to too many banked hours, so I should have lots of time to read.

message 3: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

Lucky you Duane! I'm probably going to start tomorrow, though I don't know how much reading I'll manage this weekend.

I'm on a high after reading the Kara Gillian series, so this one better live up to the hype!! :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I won't lie, the first couple are slow as there is a lot of world building going on, but the further into the series you go, the better they get. The last one, Ashes of Honor, is my favorite book of any series right now.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's my take on vacations - it's why I have way too many hours!

message 8: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

LOL! There are times I'm super grateful that I live alone (and I take ALL my holidays!!)

Llaph | No Frill | No Shill (Llaph) | 3208 comments My uncle works for the state of California, they give him a certain amount of vacation hours a month ... he is a supervisor so he is always needed. He has, last I heard, over 800 hours he is forced to take.

I just like 10 mins ago finished Rosemary and Rue. My library only has 1, 2, and 3 so :( on that. It is my NLS library the library of congress/talking book club and they actually were donated the commercial audio books. So atleast I got to hear the right pronounciations of words. My TSS reader pronounces sidhe as sid like sid vicious ...

I liked the book, the only thing that was some what confusing is the amount of "beings" and how things are set up. I will admit that my knowledge of that sort of world is not too big, but eh. Since I am jaded or have read too much I had a good clue as to who the BG was … the stuff inbetween was still a pleasure to read.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 468 comments I'm so far behind in my professional reading, but I'll be with you in spirit!

message 11: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments YAY!!!! I love this series :) I can't wait to reread!

I have a theory about why the first couple are sooooooo slow, besides it being the first few books. but I'll wait till i'm done with the reread!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished the reread of Rosemary and Rue; I'm not sure of why people have so much trouble getting through it. It's well crafted, the world building is superb, and the Fae and their customs are fully explained as the story unfolds. What I really like about the series is (view spoiler).

Llaph | No Frill | No Shill (Llaph) | 3208 comments I really liked the first book and I am used to a series taking a few books sometimes to put everything into place. I was a bit daunted at first with all of the different fae, but that is because I did not know that part very well. When I kept reading things made more sense to me and it seemed a lot more original than other books that just use the surface idea of fae. The fact that they were not all powerful but still powerful was a nice touch ... too many books with the fae paint them as uber beings with little or no weak spots.
Toby's investigating skills are pretty lacking though, or that could just be me and I am really smart.
I started An Artificial Night last night and that is the last book of the series that I can read till my library gets the rest. Who knows how long that will take ... the series has been on the wishlist for a few weeks now. bookshare is weird with their wishlist I have not figured it out yet.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I am not sure that SM intended for Toby's investigating skills to be outstanding - I think it is the fact that Toby is so tenacious that helps her bring her "cases" to fruition, not her deductive reasoning. She also seems to have a felling of loyalty to those she considers friends that does not allow her to quit when things seem hopeless.

message 15: by Claire (new)

Claire (Claire1) | 4511 comments I totally forgot that we were doing this read along! I think I'll start Rosemary and Rue on Tuesday. I'll need something to read on the train anyway!

message 16: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

I've started, but haven't read all that much. Liking it so far, though. Though the fish thing was a bit weird.

message 17: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments Tybalt has one of the best first lines (make sure you read it with a lot of snark): “What happened? Did the prettiest little princess miss her carriage home?”

So for those who read Ashes of Honor (view spoiler)

First time we meet Quentin (view spoiler)

The first time Toby did her specialty (view spoiler)

In my reread of these earlier books, I tend to browse through a lot. But I like the mystery in this book better than ALH.

(UMMMM . . . I just got that abbreviation. Wow. I'm so slow)

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2020 comments @Lannister The fish thing made me cry when I read it, haha. It was weird, but I cried, anyway.

@Zeenat (view spoiler) Tybalt <3

message 19: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments I agree Mello. I love tybalt. Like totally awesome. My favorite male character who is closest to real life men is Anyan from Jane True, but as far as fantasy men go, I think Tybalt is my favorite. He just knocks my socks off ;)

Llaph | No Frill | No Shill (Llaph) | 3208 comments You know that weird vibe you get when you think “oh they are gonna get together eventually?” I got that about her and Tybalt … I really like him. It maybe an obsession though … from that old movie about Romeo and Juliet? I thought the actor that played Tybalt was hot (I was a freshman shush) and was excited to for this character. It is nice to have a character that does not have a name that matches a bunch of other guys for that part … like set names for vampires, werewolves, fae, and etc.

message 21: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments ha ha, Oh Devin . . .

One thing I like about these books, is that for the most part "bad guys" are pretty clear. They may or may not be "the big bad" but you know who is good/well intentioned, and who isn't. It kind of takes the guesswork out of it, so you can concentrate on the story.

Not that I mind it when we don't know the bad guys, but sometimes the author is trying to be sneaky but you know who it is? That's annoying. It's like a badly written love triangle. Love triangle's only work if it's a genuine triangle, and not one just to create angst.

message 22: by Llewella (new)

Llewella (LlewellaYardley) | 8 comments I was looking for something new to read last month and started this series because it was on the group read list. Gotta thank whoever picked this series because I finished all six books in a week.

I don't read many books about the Fae so learning about their world and was new and quite interesting.

As for the characters:

I liked October, but I felt she needed to be rescued a lot in the first book. I know that for most of the story she's in way over her head, but I guess I would have preferred that she save herself a bit more. However, maybe the author was planning to gradually build up the character because I found myself liking October more and more as the series went on.

I was intrigued by Tybalt from his very first scene. I liked him by the end of book one and is now my favourite character in the series. I love his cattiness and snark. He can fight and to quote October is "walking sex appeal". From the beginning I thought that Tybalt would make an interesting love interest for October. I do think that he was attracted to her from book one. He did save her (twice) and the memory October got from him when she tasted his blood was of her "coming back" to him.

I didn't really like Quentin initially, but he kind of grew on me as the series progressed. I do wonder what kind of Canadian accent he has since October speculated he was from Toronto. I found that kind of odd because Toronto is so multicultural that the city doesn't have a regional accent.

I didn't like Connor at all when I met him and never warmed up to him. I have a whole list of reasons for disliking him that I won't get into because I don't think I'll have enough space and it may make me come off as crazy. Although, it does boil down to how he can't compare to the awesomeness that is Tybalt :P.

Sorry for the long post. I usually only lurk, but as you can probably tell, I've been thinking about this for awhile and am glad to finally get the thoughts off my mind.

Llaph | No Frill | No Shill (Llaph) | 3208 comments @ zeenat:
I agree with all that you said. If it is done right obvious bad guys can let you concentrate on the storyand you can think of mean things to do to them instead of thinking wtf the bg is.
Most of the love triangles I have read were stupid ... I hate angst.

Llaph | No Frill | No Shill (Llaph) | 3208 comments I know this sounds childish, but conner is weak sauce. I never liked his character and he was just embarrassing.

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2020 comments Llewella wrote: "I was looking for something new to read last month and started this series because it was on the group read list. Gotta thank whoever picked this series because I finished all six books in a week.
..."

Haha, awesome post. I pretty much felt this way when reading the series and also read all six books in just a few days.

message 26: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments Conner is weak sauce. I didn't like him either :)

message 27: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 468 comments I"m with y'all about Conner. I think he's a jerk and, as Zeenat says, weak.

I suspect the Toronto accent Quentin has is fae-Toronto. I also think (view spoiler).

And I adore Tybalt...

message 28: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments I think so too Kathy!

message 29: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments So evening's magic also smells like roses--which has to do with her name. Do you think this means there is some relation with her to (view spoiler)?

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2020 comments I think the exact same thing, Kathy and Zeenat.

message 31: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 468 comments Zeenat wrote: "So evening's magic also smells like roses--which has to do with her name. Do you think this means there is some relation with her to [spoilers removed]?"

Oooh, there is a possibility...

message 32: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

I'm continuing my read of Rosemary and Rue and I'm up to about page 300, so there isn't a whole lot more to go.

I'm feeling a bit annoyed actually. It feels like I've just read through a hundred pages of Toby being injured. And I'm not exaggerating here! There were literally about 100 pages of Toby gets shot, nearly dies, gets rescued by the local fae and is patched up. She leaves and, goddamit, she gets shot again! This time a different guy rescues her and patches her up. Then she gets attacked in her house and is almost killed again. Then she's chased by some guys and almost drowns. Now I like a bit of action but this is silly. All these fights and near death scenes haven't actually done anything to advance the plot. She didn't gain any new information or anything like that. We just got to meet a lot of Toby's old friends around town. I was reminded of one of those second rate action movies that use a lot of explosions to cover how thin the plot is.

I feel like this series has potential, and I know most people say to stick with it, but I was just bored with all the shootings and fights. One fight scene would have made the point quite well that people wanted to kill Toby. It could have been dealt with in a chapter. This drawn out thing did nothing for me.

Oh, and another thing that bugged me was how it's continually reiterated that Changelings are second rate citizens among the Fae. Yet everywhere she goes, Toby knows all the queens, dukes and other powerful people and they (almost) all welcome her like a long lost friend. I guess it's all those other changelings that are second rate. Toby doesn't seem to have a single friend (that we meet) that isn't an Important Person in one way or another. Yet at the start of the book, she's a supermarket check out girl (yeah, OK, I know she used to be a knight, but it bugs the hell out of me when authors try to make out their characters are oh so ordinary, yet they know every important person in the city. Does Not Compute!!)

I've got about 60 pages to go, so let's see how many times Toby can nearly die before the end! :P

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2020 comments Hahaha! I can see how that can be annoying Lannister. Toby does have a lot of near death experiences.

As far as knowing the important people, she met most of them because of her work. If not for Sylvester and her mother being who her mother was, Toby likely would have treated a lot worse by most of the noble fae than she currently is.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments Late to the discussion here. I read Rosemary and Rue a long time ago and remember not liking it very much, dragging on occasions. I can't really add to the discussion of the first book because I don't remember much.
Because of this read along, I picked up book two and three for other reading challenges and found that I really appreciated them far more than the first book. I'm glad that I revisited it again because it's a very good series.

On Connor, I personally think he is a coward and does not match Toby's lifestyle.

message 35: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

Mello, I've always disliked books where the author puts the main character into 'fake peril' just for the sake of it. This book was particularly bad since it happened about three or four times (most books, it only happens once.) I don't know if all the attacks were there to show how tough Toby is supposed to be. I like a kickass heroine, but only a complete loon keeps going without rest after being at the point of death from her injuries twice within the space of a day or so. It didn't pass the credulous test for me. And it just went on and on and on ....

Valerie, as I said above, I felt there is definitely potential. The fight scenes were simply not to my taste and if they'd been pruned drastically, it probably would have been a better book. But, you encourage me with your opinion that it does get better. :)

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2020 comments I won't lie. Toby doesn't tend to have moments if rest. She tends to have near death experiences on a regular basis.

message 37: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments LOL Toby is always in peril. I bet she's a bit more annoyed about it than you ;) I mean imagine being injured all the damn time ROFL! But yeah, She almost always "nearly dies". it gets worse as the books go on actually, but there is "reasoning" for it. For those who have read the rest of the books (view spoiler) Cassie and Dory get injured at least twice a book, LOL. How many times was Cassie injured in HtM? 3? 4? LOL plus counting how Pritkin works her out rofl . . j/k

Toby is not ordinary. It's not that she's just a knight . . . I don't know how to explain it without giving too much away. But the only royal person that likes Toby (at this point) is sylvester/luna and lily, and is lily really royal? the queen hates her, tybalt "hates" her.

I think the first book is kind of disjointed. There is flow to the story, but some of the stuff that happens don't feel . . . "natural"? I think the next book flows better, but it's boringer (look at me I can make up words!). 3rd book on though, holy crap. ;)

message 38: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments so about evening winterose and Luna (view spoiler) thoughts?

I hate conner and rayseline. ugh. Conner walks in the room and I want to ask "where's your backbone" and she walks in the room and I want to ask "where's your sanity?". I can't feel sorry for either one . . . just don't have it in me.

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2020 comments I'm not sure about the Evening Winterose and Luna thing, Zeenat. Wouldn't it have been revealed by now if there was some connection? I would have thought (view spoiler).

message 40: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments Yeah, true. :)

Awww this paragraph is such foreshadowing, that I would have NEVER caught if I didn't reread! I'm putting it in spoiler because it may or may not give away something for the future(view spoiler)

message 41: by Claire (new)

Claire (Claire1) | 4511 comments So I just read Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire and A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2) by Seanan McGuire.

I loved them both! I'd looked at Rosemary and Rue several times but I finally decided to read them with the group.

I wasn't expecting to love the books as much as I did. They're absolutely addicting and it's impressive that I can't never quite tell where McGuire is going with the story.

@Zeenat I can see why you like Tybalt so much =)

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2020 comments I remember that, too, Zeenat. I hope it's not a sign of Bad, Bad Things ahead. I want them to be happy!

@Claire I felt the exact same way when I was reading them. I'd had Rosemary & Rue on my kindle for like 6 months before I finally read it and I only read it because it fit a challenge category. I ended up reading all of the books back to back because I loved the first one as much as I did.

message 43: by Claire (new)

Claire (Claire1) | 4511 comments The world is fascinating, even though I'm not quite sure how all the different races of Fae comet together. I'm fascinated with the awesome plots though.

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2020 comments There will be more about that soon. Actually, you'll learn more about it in the book you're starting now.

message 45: by Claire (new)

Claire (Claire1) | 4511 comments Oh, good!

And about October and Tybalt: (view spoiler)

Also, do we ever find out what happened to Luna and Rayseline?

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments I also like her subtle one liner too, in the second book for instance: It’s the place where paper goes to die. All the little references about someone who 'lost' 12 years of technological advancement.
All those little details on how Toby does not fit in anywhere.

I read few books with actual fae lore in them but whenever I read the Toby series...I felt that the author took some time to shape the myths instead of grabbing the usual ones. Am I making sense?

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2020 comments You're not imagining things.

You will find out more about Luna and Rayseline in the next book. You'll find out something really good about Luna in the book you just started.

@Valerie I love those details, too. Toby and the current tech do not get along. And I get what you mean about McGuire taking the time to shape myths. The fae races are ones that are familiar to me, but she fleshed them out so well and made them her own.

message 48: by Claire (new)

Claire (Claire1) | 4511 comments Mello luvs Gin, Illium, Myrnin & Jaqen H'ghar wrote: "You're not imagining things.

You will find out more about Luna and Rayseline in the next book. You'll find out something really good about Luna in the book you just started.

@Valerie I love those..."

I'm glad that it's something good, I like Luna!
I have a hard time picturing her characters, especially the Caith Sidhe with their stripes of fur.

Llaph | No Frill | No Shill (Llaph) | 3208 comments Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ wrote: "I also like her subtle one liner too, in the second book for instance: It’s the place where paper goes to die. All the little references about someone who 'lost' 12 years of technological advanceme..."

Yes, you make perfect sense to me. I felt the same way ... these fae are more woundable (is that a word?) and not all powerful. I like that in the stories.

Llaph | No Frill | No Shill (Llaph) | 3208 comments Claire wrote: "Mello luvs Gin, Illium, Myrnin & Jaqen H'ghar wrote: "You're not imagining things.

You will find out more about Luna and Rayseline in the next book. You'll find out something really good about Lun..."

That is one thing I scratched my head at, reminded me of all the weird hair LKH's fae had. Along with being stupid long, one had ivy leaves and one like a calico cat just to name a couple.
The stripes in the toby books make more sense to me, I can picture them without going crazy.

« previous 1 3 4 5