Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > "Travel Books"

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 233 comments What do ya'll think about travel journals?

In the past I mainly read those typical living abroad types like by Peter Mayle, Stephen Clarke & Frances Mayes. But I found a more contemporary one in the bargin bin at Borders by a former writer for the Lonely Planet by Jennifer Cox when she quit her job and started looking for Mr. Right in her novel...
Around the World in 80 Dates.... anyone heard of it???

message 2: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments I have read some pretty good 'travel adventures' I guess you might say.
Maiden Voyage by Tania Aebi
Extra Virgin by Annie Hawes
Tales of a female nomad by Rita Golden Gelman
River town- two years on the river Yangtze by Paul Hessler
Mountain Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder

I guess these are more about doing something and the traveling is a bonus if you know what I mean. I love this kind though. :)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Great topic! I've been reading a lot of 'foodie travel' as I call them as of late but not traditional travel, more memoir. It started last year with Kathleen Flinn's "The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry" followed by Peter Mayle's "A Year In Provence," then "A Trail of Crumbs" by Kim Sunee, then "A Pig In Provence" by Georgeanne Brennan and now "Under The Tuscan Sun, at home in Italy" by Frances Mayes.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Oh the foodie travel books sound awesome. I'm a Bill Bryson fan. He makes his travels fun.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments That's a great list, Jo! I've been looking for those types of books so I'll have to check out some of the titles you mentioned.

message 6: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments I have on hand but haven't started yet A Cooks Tour by Anthony Bourdain. He also does a show on Travel Channel (No Reservations). It is about his culinary travels throughout the world.

I heard his books are good...just haven't actually picked it up yet. Will soon!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Thanks Katie! I'm enjoying them!

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda (lpennin104) | 1 comments I loved The Sharper The Knife. It lead me to other food books. One I've really enjoyed is Mediterranean Summer by David Shalleck about his experiences as a chef on a yacht for a weather couple. I tried MFK Fisher too but wasn't as wild about her. We Always Have Paris and Provence by Patrica Wells and her husband is also good giving a view of how they got to Paris and she got into food writing.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Linda, We Always Have... is on my to read list since I saw it at one of the libraries here last year.

message 10: by Erika (new)

Erika Peanut - Anthony Bourdain is absolutely can't - put - it - down fabulous. I've seen his show, it's nothing compared to his writing =)

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate | 106 comments If you like travel books, you should read "No Touch Monkey." It is written by a woman who traveled the world with boyfriends, her mother and on her own. She also goes to some pretty unusual places and has really different experiences. And, it's funny!

But I also love Peter Mayle and Bill Bryson. I also think you should try Paul Theroux. He is not funny - well, he is sometimes - but his stories are amazing and his writing is beautiful.

message 12: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 4 comments One of my favorites is Tim Cahill - he wrote "Jaguars Ripped My Flesh" and "Pecked to Death by Ducks" among others. He was a travel writer for Outside Magazine, so his books are full of essays from all over the place. They're often really funny and sometimes just make you think. Really great.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (fireheart223) | 10 comments I tried reading one by Frances Mayes, and I just got so bored with it. She didn't paint the vivid picture of all the places she went that I was hoping for, instead mostly just went off on random tangents. I didn't even finish the book (think it was called A Year in the World)

I have a couple of others in my to-read pile though, one called McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy, about an Irishman's travels through his country, and Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson.