Ask Victoria H. Smith...anything! discussion

The launch thread!!! Say hello!!!

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Smith | 25 comments Mod
What up, friends! Let's get this thing started by introducing ourselves. My name is Victoria, but I've also been known to go by Vicki, V, and Vicks! I love fiction especially new adult fiction, and I can't wait to meet all you happy peppy people!!!

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (thebookiemonster83) Hey Victoria! I am so loving all books NA these days, too!

My name is Megan, I live in NYC, and I read constantly. I am also a librarian, so I like to think of my NA addiction as "research" for my job. :)

I have a couple of questions:
1. Where do you live?
2. Are there any particular authors/books that have especially influenced your work?

I haven't read either of your listed books yet, but I recently picked up the Crimson Hunt, and will get to it soon!

I just wanted to say also that I'm glad we are good reads friends! You have introduced me (via updates) to lots of awesome-sounding new books. :)

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (thebookiemonster83) Oh, and one more thing: can you send me links to your blogs? You mentioned NA alley and also your personal blog, twenty something?

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Hi Megan! So excited that my adds have helped you find other new adult reads!

And yes, I do believe your addiction counts as research ;D So fun that you live in NYC. I haven't been myself, but seeing a Broadway show is definitely on my bucket list.

I live in what I like to call Corn Belt USA, aka the Midwest. There are cornfields abound and I'm surrounded by them. I joke a lot about it, but I truly do love my home. It's featured in many of my books!

Authors that influenced me for sure are SC Stephens, Simone Elkeles, and Jennifer Echols. I actually had the pleasure of meeting all of these ladies this year. They are all super sweet. All of their books have mature themes and excellent lessons. And also...a bit of smexy, lol. I like to think the heat of my writing I got from my love for their work.

Thanks for buying TCH! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. After all, I write for all of you awesome peeps!

My links are below and I'll add them to the detail of the page.

So awesome to meet you!!!!

My personal blog: http://twentysomethingfictionwriter.b...

NA Alley: http://naalley.blogspot.com/

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan (thebookiemonster83) Victoria--

I'm actually from the Midwest too. I grew up in Missouri, right smack in the middle of the Bible Belt. I have been in NY for the last 5 years or so, but I'm moving back to MO in February to save money. New York is fun, and you should come see a Broadway show. They are worth every penny.

BTW, I LOVE smexy. Haha I'm looking forward to reading about your leading man, and I will definitely let you know when I finish. :)

message 6: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Wesley (EJWesley) | 2 comments I have a question *ahem*: If you had to miss Glee for anything in the world, what would it be? (I'd better know the answer... :-D )

Seriously, just wanted to say 'hi' to the group and wish you a ton of luck with TCH. I'm an author, too, but mostly a fan of great/fun lit.

Okay, maybe one REAL question this time: Where'd you get the idea for The Crimson Hunt?

message 7: by Victoria (new)

@Megan - a fellow Midwestern gal! *gives high five* So cool! And love that you love smexy. :D I definitely enjoy that aspect of writing!!! So much fun.

@EJ - EJ, EJ, EJ... Who let you in the group? Lol. Just kidding. But the answer to your question about Thursday nights is #nalitchat of course on Twitter at 8pm EST hosted by the fab EJ W. :D Thanks for stopping by and to answer your other question: the idea for TCH actually came from a gap I saw in the fiction market. I wanted to read books about 20-somethings but couldn't find them so I wrote my own! I wasn't a huge reader at the time of drafting but I was a huge movie buff. So I thought about all the things I would love to see on the big screen if I made my own film. I wanted a snarky Bridget Jones-type lead thrown into a suspense/ thriller type setting. Plus a hot leading man and some smexy! Put it all on college campus in the midwest, and The Crimson Hunt was born :D

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Lee (elizabethleewrites) | 1 comments Hello! It's Liz! So excited about Crimson Hunt!

So, what I'm dying to know is...
1.) favorite book boyfriend?
2.) favorite book heroine?
3.) favorite glee character?
4.) favorite cornbelt coffee buddy? ;-)

Congrats again! I wish you much success!

message 9: by Sabrena (new)

Sabrena (Ayshara) | 2 comments @Victoria Corn, huh? Which part of the state? :P

message 10: by Victoria (new)

Well, hello, Liz!!!

1. Kellan "Hot Bod" Kyle (Thoughtless)
2. Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games)
3. Blaine!!!! *grins*
4. Elizabeth "Pure Awesomeness" Lee!!!!!! <---- she's got a NA book called Shattered out by the way ;D

Thanks for stopping by, and your warm wishes!!!

message 11: by Victoria (new)

@Sabrena - Pretty much all that green, lol. Great to meet you :D

message 12: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Wesley (EJWesley) | 2 comments I'm like a cold draft, V -- I get in everywhere I'm not wanted! lol

Very cool that your writing is heavily influenced by TV/movies, because I'm similar in that regard. I think because my favorite books draw me in (and keep me engaged) like a great movie, but the experience lasts so much longer than 2.5 hours. :-)

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan (thebookiemonster83) Just curious, is that a line from your book? :P

message 14: by Sabrena (new)

Sabrena (Ayshara) | 2 comments @Victoria It would be really funny if the campus you used was ISU ^_~

message 15: by Victoria (new)

@EJ - haha! You're hilarious. And yep about the movies. Books are so great since they last so much longer :)

@Megan - No it's not, but that's a great idea. I wish I would have thought of that when I wrote it!

@Sabrena - I do know some people that went to that school. Great campus from what I hear! The book is set on a fictitious campus.