She-Geeks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Comic Book Wednesday

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chimney (last edited Nov 14, 2012 06:54PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments I've started doing a post every Wednesday on my book review blog called Comic Book Wednesday and Anna suggested I make a thread for it. Comic Book Wednesday happens every, well, Wednesday and is the chance to talk about what you are reading or have read, and what comics you got over the past week.

Here's my post of this week's Comic Book Wednesday: Post #3

I've finally decided on the layout! :D

Okay, it's time to geek out! What have you been reading and what are your thoughts? Have you done any comic book related activities over the past week?

message 2: by Anna (Bananas!) (last edited Nov 14, 2012 07:31PM) (new)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Chimney - this is great! Very accessible, concise reviews, like the ratings. And you must be a Princess Bride fan. :)

I especially enjoyed "The Importance of Books in My Life." I was literally just watching Rumble Fish with my guy (I forgot what a gorgeous black and white film it is), and we were talking about SE Hinton books. It's awesome that Outsiders got you into reading.

Also, love the X-Babies review. "Captain America’s teddy bear has been compromised by the X-Men and he will do anything to get him back, including calling for the Avengers to assemble! (Well, the ones that are not sick or grounded anyway.)"
*laughing* Good summary.

message 3: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Thanks, Anna! I'm a huge Princess Bride fan and I try to watch the movie at least once a year. Anybody want a peanut? :)

I adored S.E. Hinton's, The Outsiders (both the book and the movie)! My schools didn't have much required reading, but the few that I did end having to read I tended to really like, except when I entered university.

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Stop rhyming now, I mean it! :)

How can you not LOVE that movie? It's impossilbe. Inigo Montoya, freaking Andre the Giant, ROUS's, hot-ass Cary Elwes in his pirate outfit, the six-fingered man, the screaming eels. Okay...now I want to watch it again.
I bought the book recently but haven't read it yet. Not sure it can live up to the movie.

I like SE Hinton. She always seemed like one of those cool, down-to-earth authors.

message 5: by Chimney (last edited Nov 14, 2012 09:11PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments ;)

The book is amaaaazzzziiingggg! It also has a bonus chapter called, Buttercup's Baby and it is freakin' hilarious.

I've only read two of her works, one, of course, being The Outsiders and the other was Tex. I thought Tex was just kind meh, but I found out something that I thought was rather funny. The guy who play Dally in movie adaption of The Outsiders also plays Tex in the movie adaption of Tex.

message 6: by Arwen (new)

Arwen i read the frost bite graphic. not as good as i expected it to be but things are never absolutely perfect. i also read Mangaman and THAT is hilarious. but an anime character into modern world, way 2 freak people out!!!!

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Chimney, those are the 2 I read also and I thought Tex was kind of dull also.
Glad to here the PB book is good!

message 8: by Chimney (last edited Nov 14, 2012 09:21PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Zoe,
Mangaman sounds very interesting! I will have to check it out. :)

message 9: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Anna, I really want to read her novel That Was Then, This is Now simply because I heard Ponyboy makes a cameo in it.

I wonder if there is a comic of the Princess Bride... I know there is a game, but a comic would be awesome!

message 10: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (new)

Kay Lotus (ayokayo) | 249 comments Mod
I like the site, Chimney! I created a folder for our bloggers. Feel free to move your thread over there.

message 11: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Thanks, Kay :)

message 12: by Anna (Bananas!) (new)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments A Princess Bride comic would be great. Has that seriously not been done?!

Looking up that other SE Hinton book...

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara G. Tarn (BarbaraGTarn) | 75 comments Chimney wrote: ";)

The book is amaaaazzzziiingggg! It also has a bonus chapter called, Buttercup's Baby and it is freakin' hilarious.

I've only read two of her works, one, of course, being The Outsiders and the ..."

yep, I read both books because of my first movie love, Matt Dillon!
No, wait, I read The Outsiders and Rumble Fish and saw the movies of all 3. Have you seen "Outsiders the complete novel" version that came out on DVD a few years ago? I was so looking forward to that! :D

And Mangaman is also great, Colleen Doran RULES! :D

message 14: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments What is this complete novel version you speak of? I must see it!

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara G. Tarn (BarbaraGTarn) | 75 comments Chimney wrote: "What is this complete novel version you speak of? I must see it!"

http://www.amazon.com/The-Outsiders-C...

it's more complete than the original and has also some deleted scenes and interviews with the cast (glad Mr Cruise was left out of it). It's just wonderful! :D

message 16: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments O_O

I want it.

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara G. Tarn (BarbaraGTarn) | 75 comments Chimney wrote: "O_O

I want it."

Don't miss it! It's awesome! :D

message 18: by Chimney (last edited Nov 21, 2012 08:18PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments It's Wednesday again, so that means another Comic Book Wednesday! Hooray!

Comic Book Wednesday: Post #4

I didn't get any comic reading done, but I did get some awesome new stuff. :) What did you read/buy this week?

Barbara, I will have to get it. :)

message 20: by Bob (new)

Bob Not many new comics out this week but of course I will be buying Spider Man #700. I mean you have to. It's a turning point in the world of Spidey. Also I'll be buying Deathmatch #1 by Boom comics. For a $1.00 for the first issue I have to try it out.

message 21: by Batsap (new)

Batsap | 45 comments Love your blog, you write really well. I'm following you on my blog if that's ok?

message 22: by Chimney (last edited Jun 25, 2013 08:17PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Batsap wrote: "Love your blog, you write really well. I'm following you on my blog if that's ok?"

That's fine, thank you for following! :) I'm really happy that you like my blog. I should be updating it with a few reviews in the next week or so, hopefully.

message 23: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Bob wrote: "Not many new comics out this week but of course I will be buying Spider Man #700. I mean you have to. It's a turning point in the world of Spidey. Also I'll be buying Deathmatch #1 by Boom comic..."

I got the $1 issue of the new Cyborg 009 comic, I'm really excited about trying it out as I loved the anime series and what I read of the manga.

message 24: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments I'm changing my Comic Book Wednesday posts, yet again, to be more like a 'first impression' type post and hopefully make it bi-weekly. I'm actually working on the newest one now for Captain Midnight.

message 25: by Chimney (last edited Jul 12, 2013 08:49PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Here is the link to my latest Comic Book Wednesday post (it was posted on Wednesday, I'm just getting the link up rather late):

Captain Midnight

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (FrejaFolkvangar) | 111 comments Somewhat off topic, but can we all agree that Saga is the best thing happening in comics right now? I am obsessed.

message 27: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments I have yet to read Saga. I am so far behind on everything. :(

message 28: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (xitomatl) Shannon wrote: "Somewhat off topic, but can we all agree that Saga is the best thing happening in comics right now? I am obsessed."

Yes. Yes we can. I haven't been so in love with a comic since Sweeth Tooth.

message 29: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (FrejaFolkvangar) | 111 comments I'm glad I'm not alone.

message 30: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Got my newest Comic Book Wednesday post up just before midnight:

Batman '66

message 31: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments New Comic Book Wednesday post is up. :)

Adventure Time: Candy Capers

message 32: by Jodie (new)

Jodie | 5 comments Shannon wrote: "Somewhat off topic, but can we all agree that Saga is the best thing happening in comics right now? I am obsessed."

Add me to obsessed with Saga (suuuuch a long wait!), and add me to wanting to talk and read about Wednesday comics :)

message 33: by Chimney (last edited Aug 08, 2013 09:01PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Three cheers for comic love! <(^^)>

message 34: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments My newest Comic Book Wednesday is now up!

Quantum and Woody #1

I had a tough time talking about this one as I didn't have strong feelings for it one way or the other. I thought it was decent and may give it another issue, but I don't know.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.