Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3) Sever question

Gabriel or Linden? Or neither?
Paola Gutierrez Paola Nov 14, 2012 01:44PM
I'm scrolling through the comments, and I see people talking about whether they want Rhine to end up with Gabriel, or Linden, and then a few who want her to not choose either. And then I look at the discussion topics, and I wonder why there isn't a discussion group about this issue.

Personally, I prefer Linden over Gabriel. I don't know, I guess I wouldn't be too unhappy if she ended up with Gabriel, but I never saw any sparks between them. He seemed more like a good friend than a true romantic interest. Linden has this naive way about him that it's cute. I think he cares about her deeply, perhaps even loves her, and I'm not sure it's entirely because she looks like Rose. I wouldn't be surprised if what Vaughn told Rhine at Madame's carnival was true, that Linden was wasting away again since she left the mansion, that he was concerned about her. I hope the two of them end up together.

What do you guys think? Team Gabriel, or Team Linden? Or neither?

Linden ofc...
there is no chemistry whatsoever with Rhine and Gabriel
There moments are boring
while with Linden and Rhine...im like awwww

neither I felt like she just felt like she needed someone because all there life times were limited she she just wanted to live life to the fullest well she could but she does not need a man to help her do that

Hopefully Linden!!

Was there even a love triangle?

i knew she would pick gabriel, but honestly i didnt think they had very much chemistry. i saw their affair as the whole 'forbidden love' concept, and because they werent allowed to be together, it made them want each other more

Team Linden! After reading Wither I thought I was Team Gabriel but in Fever I was disappointed with Gabriels character and the relationship between him and Rhine. Then in Sever Linden was so good to Rhine, so sweet and loving despite knowing she didn't want him. I know he died and that Rhine and Gabriel loved each other but for me I loved Linden!

Oh, and I would love to get the authors explanation for everything. It might be heart breaking but I would accept it coming from the woman who wrote it.

If these books were made into a movie I would want her involved in picking the characters and everything. These books could easily be ruined with a movie!

Rozus (last edited May 22, 2014 06:59AM ) May 22, 2014 06:58AM   0 votes
Rhine loved Linden , not Gabriel. But he had child and wife , so she had no choice and it's ok. I like them both, Linden and Gabriel.

Honestly neither. Linden was naive and plain stupid alot of the time and Gabriel was pretty flat. I didn't like either of them very much.

i still pick linden - even after reading the whole progression of both relationships, i think that there was something that was more honest and deep there - but that's just me.

Gabriel was a bit of a risk for a while since he was the attendant and then he was something that was comforting when she needed it but Linded got under her (and my) skin a bit in a good way and i always think that it should have been him.

To be honest, I don't think that Rhine should have been with either of them. In Wither, I felt as if Rhine was falling for Linden because they connected on an intellectual level and she was able to comfort him. Rhine even admits later that some of it was real. Cecily obviously believes that Linden loves Rhine in a way that means he will never fully let her memory go "and then there's you". I know Rhine felt guilt over deceiving Linden but she could have saved so much difficulty by admitting that she was kidnapped! Jenna would have backed her up and I believe that she could have either fallen for Linden willingly or go free. Linden and Rhine were sweet together.

Gabriel, on the hand, was her confidante. She developed a friendship with him in captivity, but her main reason for escaping with him was to show him freedom. Throughout the whole series she claims that she doesn't love him, and any attraction is purely physical. Rhine murmurs Linden's name when she is with Gabriel (ouch!) and she finds herself missing Linden. Yet when she is with Linden, she misses Gabriel. But she just goes along with Vaughn and doesn't actually look for Gabriel in the last book?

To be honest, I don't think Rhine deserves either one. That being said, if it wasn't for Bowen and Cecily, I'd prefer she had ended up with Linden instead of him dying. This is something I believe that the author may have originally intended as the characters' names may come from the film "Linden Lady on the Rhine"

Cydnee Roberson I also feel that Rhine should've ended up with Linden in the end. But Cecily and that baby are sooooo suffocating. They leave no room for anyone else. ...more
Dec 04, 2016 03:53PM

Garbrial all the way!

gabriel for everrrr

am I the only one that had it twisted in my mind that somehow they were all going to end up one big family that she could keep them both ? I had my fingers crossed ... obviously I ended up disappointed see what happens when you hope. You can't have your cake and eat it (too) is a popular English idiomatic proverb or figure of speech.[1] The proverb literally means "you cannot both possess your cake and eat it". Once the cake is eaten, it is gone. It can be used to say that one cannot or should not have or want more than one deserves or can handle, or that one cannot or should not try to have two incompatible things. The proverb's meaning is similar to the phrases "you can't have it both ways" and "you can't have the best of both worlds." Conversely, in the positive sense, it refers to "having it both ways" or "having the best of both worlds." well damn ...this book and their love was my cake. I was left dissatisfied.

Gabriel, I adore him.

Linden, always. He is so sweet and Gabriel has the personality of a cardboard cut out. There is no chemistry with her and Gabriel, their relationship just seems to forced to me.

Team Linden. Come on, Gabriel is all sorts of boring.

Obviously team Linden

Anahi (last edited Nov 23, 2014 03:13PM ) Nov 23, 2014 03:13PM   0 votes
Gabriel all the way!

Sammy (last edited Oct 24, 2014 06:27AM ) Oct 24, 2014 06:26AM   0 votes
Neither.
even though Gabriel claims to love Rhine, it never shows. he's bland and boring. I pretty much hated his character. but at the same time, Linden was just a naïve puppet. From the description in the books Linden seemed more attractive, but looks don't make up for lack of personality for EITHER guy. I tried SO HARD to like Gabriel, but I just didn't.

I honestly don't think Rhine loved either of them - she continuously lied to both of them. and I don't think either of them loved her. None of them even knew what love was.

Linden.

Gabriel was more or less a Gary Stu.

Linden, of course.

It was sad when he died.

Well I hate to break it to everyone but Linden dies and even though Rhine loved him she was meant for Gabriel. I imagined him super hot lol so of course he's amazing(: he was with her and was fascinated with her. Linden was amazing and all don't get me wrong but even if he hadn't died she would still pick Gabriel. The author made it so she longed for Gabriel in a different way than she did Linden. "I've never craved closenss like this for anyone" almost the accurate quote of Rhine in fever saying that about Gabriel. Everyone says Gabriel is boring but he was raised in a mansion he doesn't know any better. The way he talks is sweet not boring. Give him some emotion when you read. She risks losing Linden and Cecily to save Gabriel so he wouldn't be in a coma for the rest of his life.

"I've loved you since the day I stole the atlas for you" -Gabriel from Sever page 363

He loved her and they were meant to be can't change the authors story.
The end was an amazing and sad happy ending. Best book I have ever read:D

(Wither was great, Fever was a little slow)

deleted member Dec 15, 2014 03:04PM   0 votes
I pick Linden. Gabriel wasn't built up enough as a lover in Fever. If he was then I'd totally go for him but the most we got from him were a few awkward lines and some passionate scenes. With Linden I thought his love for Rhine was built really well upon throughout the story.WARNING SPOILER: This is why I was so heartbroken when Linden died and why I felt so disappointed when Gabriel lived. I was comforted by the little confession Gabriel gave at the end of the book but once again that was one of the few moments where Gabriel's identity as a lover was built upon.