Speaker Geeks! discussion

Book Debates > Boring Books

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
What are the most boring books you have read? Be sure to post why so we can debate!

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 14, 2012 05:09PM) (new)

i thought twilight was really boring, but thats because its to 'romantic'for my taste; and no offense to who likes it, buit it was to typical in my opinion. i also thought that it ( the story and plot) was being stretched to much.

i also tried reading vampire dairies, and stopped for the same reason, i might try them both at a later date, but for now, they just scream boring to me.

er...i also thought eragon was boring; it went to much into pointless details. i have read books that have been heavily detailed, but i thought they helped build the fantasy more. with eragon, i just didn't feel that.

message 3: by Tab (new)

Tab Defarge | 512 comments The Hunt for Red October... Ugh it spans only a few weeks (I think) but they go into so much detail and they assume that you know lots about submarines. You'd think that a book that has a movie that's action-y would have more action but no-o-o it cannot. Halfway through the book I got the life stories of two secondary characters and the protagonist was introduced... WHA'?

message 4: by Yazid (Ciel) (new)

Yazid (Ciel) (plue) Vampire Academy. For some reasons, I found it really absurd and the characters are not realistic.

Hmm... Freefall. I don't understand that novel so I skip most of them.

The novel:
description

message 5: by I am Dangerous (last edited Nov 20, 2012 04:35AM) (new)

I am Dangerous | 147 comments Diary of A young girl Anne Frank....I felt sleepy while reading this....

message 6: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, Lend me your ears! (new)

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ (Charlie_Awesome) | 91 comments Mod
Me too!!!

message 7: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silverbane (Nightlightknight) I found Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay to be among the more tedious books I have ever read, a rather short list,since I love reading, that includes books like The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho and Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Have I ever read a book I didn't finish? No, I'm something of a completist, but only of single books, not series, if I dislike them, the Trylle trilogy by Amanda Hocking and The 50 Shades trilogy fall into the 'unfinished and unlikely to pick up again' category.

message 8: by Emily Iliani (last edited Nov 21, 2012 05:27PM) (new)

Emily Iliani (EmilyIliani) A History of God The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam by Karen Armstrong

YAWN! The language was laconic for no good reason and the prose was all so very long-winded

message 9: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silverbane (Nightlightknight) Well Il it is an 'academic' book after all, and they are rarely grippingly interesting:p

message 10: by Tab (new)

Tab Defarge | 512 comments Well.... I think New Deal or Raw Deal is interesting... It's sorta Academic.

I find that 7 Habits for Highly Effective Teenagers is horribly condescending

message 11: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silverbane (Nightlightknight) The title itself reeks of snobbery and elitism

message 12: by Yazid (Ciel) (new)

Yazid (Ciel) (plue) The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is damn ridiculous but I could not say it is boring because it gripped my attention the first time I read it.

message 13: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silverbane (Nightlightknight) I found it dull because ultimately the pay off for putting up with the murky exposition was, to me at least, rather underwhelming.

message 14: by Yazid (Ciel) (new)

Yazid (Ciel) (plue) Woolfie wrote: "I found it dull because ultimately the pay off for putting up with the murky exposition was, to me at least, rather underwhelming."

... I don't understand what were you saying just now but when I thought about the book, it is full of craps (literally and not literally).

message 15: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silverbane (Nightlightknight) I meant that the way it was written seemed a bit vague and unclear, for me there was nothing to empathise with or feel any familiarity, it was all one dimensional people blowing in the wind speaking in unhelpful riddles the answers to which I'd already realised.

message 16: by Yazid (Ciel) (new)

Yazid (Ciel) (plue) Woolfie wrote: "I meant that the way it was written seemed a bit vague and unclear, for me there was nothing to empathise with or feel any familiarity, it was all one dimensional people blowing in the wind speakin..."

Oh, now I get what you mean and I could not agree more.

message 17: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
I read 3 of the 4 Beautiful Creatures books, and I found them somewhat boring.

message 18: by Clarifina (last edited Jan 30, 2013 01:08AM) (new)

Clarifina ~Books Are My Drugs~ | 1 comments Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, # 1) by Kami Garcia Don't hate me!

message 19: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 2483 comments The Spanish Brothers this book was really boring.

message 20: by Ryeleigh (new)

Ryeleigh (Imaginationist) Ifyou think a book is boring, its probanly becaus you don't have a very long attension span...

message 21: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silverbane (Nightlightknight) Not necessarily, sometimes stories just don't grab you or are slow at starting, I guess it depends on what the reader wants from the book, to be hooked immediately, or allow the story to build.

message 23: by ShilvaH (last edited Apr 11, 2013 04:08AM) (new)

ShilvaH  And her books | 207 comments Clarifina wrote: "Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia Don't hate me!"

TRUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~~ I'm fighting the boringness with all my mighty power... after 2-3 months...SUCCESS

message 24: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 2483 comments The Bounty Mutiny by William Bligh most boring book in history

message 25: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (TurwaithielGreenleaf) | 17 comments Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld I did not enjoy this book at all. The writing style was tedious, and the plot was predictable. It didn't have as much adventure as it could have had, and was so dull, I had to force myself to finish the book, which shows how awful it was. Feel free to read it if you like, don't rely on my opinion, but I really do think that this book was poorly written and made.

message 26: by Sierra (new)

Sierra (skippingstones4) The Old Man and the Sea The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway *Yawn* Sooo boring! It took FOREVER to get to the point.

message 27: by Lia (new)

Lia (alifebetweenthepages) | 2697 comments Politics by Andrew Heywood

We had to read this for our first year in college, GOD it was boring.

message 28: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Linger I didn't like this series at all! It just went on and I found a lot of the perspective-switching to be unnecessary and dull! And even the end of the series left me with questions! But I never even read it all...Couldn't.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

I thought this was extremely boring and it is the only book I haven't finished...

✿.Ⓐⓟⓞⓞⓡⓥⓐ.✿ (apoorvak) | 87 comments A Corner of the Universe by Ann M. Martin

Only book I haven't finished as well.

message 31: by Tasmia (new)

Tasmia Quadir (Tazey) | 15 comments I thought that the Harry Potter books were very boring. No offense to Harry Potter fans but it just would not get to the point. It desecrates the fantasy genre. I read two books from the series and thought it was a piece of garbage. This is not because I don't like long books in fact I have read Moby Dick it and was a thousand times better than any of the Harry Potter books. This is just my opinion and should not be taken to heart by people who love this series.

message 32: by Sierra (new)

Sierra (skippingstones4) Apoorva wrote: "A Corner of the Universe by Ann M. Martin

Only book I haven't finished as well."

I actually kinda liked this one. It started out slow, but it didn't turn out to be that bad.

message 33: by Almira (new)

Almira (asdfayeiouvwxyz) | 269 comments IT books. They're boring. But then we have to read them.