Indie Book Club discussion

Writer's Corner > Book Signing

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martin (new)

Martin Gibbs So who's done a book signing? I've got some general tips, but for some reason I'm incredibly nervous (I have one for Dec 1 already)... any tips/suggestions anybody would have?

... and should I wear my mongoose costume?

message 2: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (Jaymikal) | 2287 comments Mod
My advice:

1. Don't sit behind a desk. Get up and move around. Greet the people. Don't wait for someone to come to you.

2. Have some type of promo materials you can give away, like bookmarks, or maybe coupons that you can email people for discounted ebooks of your titles.

3. Don't sit behind a desk. Oh, wait, did I say that already? :)

message 3: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Scott (Bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
I willing be going to one tomorrow and I'll let you know what I think.

message 4: by Martin (new)

Martin Gibbs Thanks Jeffrey, that is good advice. I have bookmarks and business cards to give away.

message 5: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Wakeling | 21 comments I echo Jeffrey's words. I've seen several book signings where the poor author's rammed behind a desk looking rather pitiful. Unless there's a crowd and you're actually signing, it's worth getting up and chatting to people who offer a passing glance at your material.

Good luck! :D

message 6: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Scott (Bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
I just got back from what I attended. It was actually more of a book release party then a signing but it was pretty cool. There was food (always a plus with me lol) and he had a looping slideshow of pictures that related to his series that he did a little speech explaining at first. After that it was kind of a meet and greet kind of thing.

What kind of venue are you going to be at?

message 7: by Martin (new)

Martin Gibbs That sounds cool. Mine will be at a Christian bookstore, with a couple other authors. I'm selling this: Following Yonder Star, which they already stock. So I plan on bringing a little Christmas candy, bookmarks, etc. Also on standing and mingling if I can.

message 8: by Will (new)

Will Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 17 comments I've done several now in Waterstones. Different things work best for different people, but I like approaching potential customers, inviting them to browse at the books, then backing off and letting them decide without pressure.

Bit late for tomorrow, but why not get a banner from Vistaprint? I have one, and it's great for getting attention

message 9: by Will (new)

Will Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 17 comments All right, Martin:

How did it go, then?