Public Librarians discussion

Adult Fiction in Spanish ?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by rachelle (new)

rachelle (chellemarie) | 5 comments Our community has a large (and new) Latino population. Many of our adult patrons' first language is Spanish, but our collection of adult fiction in Spanish is pathetically small at about seven inches wide.

Has anyone else built a collection for a group in their community whose native language is not English? How successful has that collection been? How was it funded? How did you decide what titles to add to the collection?

Please note that I have read discussion regarding the value of providing materials in Spanish. I fall on the PRO side of that argument and am not looking for a philosophical discussion. This thread is for the ins and outs of funding, building and maintaining a non-English adult fiction collection.

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt | 8 comments I believe their is a monthly or quarterly publication put out by ALA called la Critica, or something like that. If you have Spanish speakers on your staff, they could help with the collection development as well.
At Queens we serve a lot of languages, but a special department handles most of the selection. But some of our branch staff will go to a store and select materials as well. We have Spanish, Russian, Chinese, and Hebrew at my medium size branch and they all circulate well.
Take care,
Matt

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 4 comments Finding spanish language materials is probably the easiest of any language you might need, and you should definitely start a collection. Maybe you can contact one of the libraries nearby and find their resources? Also check with your vendors. Most of them have sections for spanish materials. I'm pretty sure Ingram's got materials, and I think I've seen them in Baker and Taylor, also. La Criticas(?) is a good start.

If I were starting a collection from scratch, I might get a few news/popular magazines, some nonfic titles, and then popular fiction. Also, DEFINITELY build up the children's Spanish collection; kids are generally speaking both English and Spanish, and if parents are learning English, they'll pick up some words from their kids. Good luck; you're definitely serving your community with this collection.

message 4: by rachelle (new)

rachelle (chellemarie) | 5 comments I'm going to look for that ALA publication you both mentioned. We don't have Spanish speaking staff, but a neighboring community has had a Spanish collection in the past. I've heard it wasn't entirely successful. I'll have to call them to see what worked and what didn't.

Thanks for the ideas. This is encouraging.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (alabamagrrl) | 3 comments We got about 200 fiction and nonfiction books in Spanish through an LSTA grant. We ordered the books through OCLC's foreign languages division, which selects popular titles for you. We also have 200 books each in Hindi, Chinese and Korean. The Chinese and Korean books circulate really well.