Jane Austen discussion

Austen on Film > Best Adaptations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 511 (511 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Rachael (last edited May 13, 2009 06:26PM) (new)

Rachael (rprensner) | 35 comments Movie producers are always treading on dangerous ground when they propose new adaptations of JA. With books so dear to us, we are sure to watch critically and shamelessly rip to shreds any aspect that fails to please.
A good adaptation captures the spirit of the book, provides believable and accurate interpretations of the character, and an enjoyable viewing experience. They can inspire us and move us to laughter and tears. Hopefully you have seen one. They have been made- heck, they had great raw material to work with.

message 2: by Korie (new)

Korie Brown (drbrown) | 11 comments Sense and Sensibility -- Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant and (gasp!) Alan Rickman, who gets my vote for the most underrated actor in British cinema.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I second Drbrown!!!!!

message 4: by Ani (new)

Ani | 1 comments I love, love, love the BBC/A&E version of P&P, but I also agree w/ Drbrown about S&S. Emma Thompson did SUCH a good job with that screenplay. If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend listening to her commentary on the DVD.

I also like the movie of Persuasion that came out during this same mid/late 90s time period. I don't think it's as compelling as S&S or the BBC P&P.

I personally did not like the latest version of P&P with Keira Knightley.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie I did not like the new P&P either. I can't pinpoint what it was, but I really did not like it. I agree with the above that the BBC P&P and S&S are the best.

message 6: by Anna (last edited Oct 16, 2008 05:13AM) (new)

Anna | 20 comments I have to disagree. I think the version of Persuasion w/ Amanda Root really captures the tone of that novel more than some of the BBC productions. There is a wonderful kind of claustrophobia in that movie as you see Anne struggle out of the cloud she's been under since Wentworth left.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianlehman) Anna, good call on the Amanda Root version of Persuasion. My favorite as well. It had a less sunshiney feel than most Austen adaptations. Felt more true to the "Englishness" of Jane.

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 5 comments Drbrown, I completely agree about Alan Rickman!

As for the latest version of Pride & Prejudice, I felt that Keira Knightly was terrible in the role of Elizabeth, acting more like a rebellious punk-rocker. Then, too, while I like Donald Sutherland well enough, I felt his performance was poor and very... modern as well. Or maybe just too American, I'm not sure which. As a whole they mashed it down and crumpled it up far too much. It's such a beautiful, visual book portraying fascinating intricacies of relationships that I find that very sad.

I think the Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma and the Emma Thompson version of Sense and Sensibility are really wonderful, but I find the Colin Firth BBC version of Pride and Prejudice to be magnificently and accurately rendered. It's addictive.

But you know what wins for the most fun? The 1999 version of Mansfield Park. I so enjoy watching that!

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sense and Sensibility is the obvious choice here. Nothing beats that for sheer visual beauty, and it clearly had the best screenplay of all of them, and the best cast of characters overall- though however much I adore Hugh Grant.. he needed to change his mannerisms a little more and seem more period. But anyway. PS- Alan Rickman is so hot in that movie. I'm just sayin'.

I don't have the "punk rock" problem with the modern Pride and Prejudice that the person above me does. What I /do/ have a problem with is the fact that it "mashed it down". I do agree with that. They cut out a lot of storylines that really flesh out the characters. I thought, for example, that Wickham's betrayal wasn't half so bad as in the Colin Firth version, when they really establish a relationship between him and Elizabeth. I felt like I was on crack the first time I watched it, and I must have blacked out and missed half the movie. I kept wanting to scream "SLOW DOWN!!". Also, that ending is totally wrong.

... however. I still really liked it for what it was, and that "I love.. I love.. I love you" moment gets me every time. I thought this Mr. Darcy did a great job of distinguishing himself from Colin Firth, who definitely /owned/ that role. I think his portrayal of him was more realistic, actually, in light of what actually happens in the book.

PS- Also, Emma was my favorite movie as a teenager. It got me to start reading Jane Austen. Jeremy Northam was my first movie star crush. So I have to put in a word for that one.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Roop | 2 comments I guess I'm not a purist when it comes to the adaptations. I love the latest P&P, I love Matthew McFaddyns Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth has the "spunk" that I wanted to see in the BBC version. One of my favorite parts is at the public assembly and she says her quip about barely tolerable dancing partners, and the way she says it, has a twinkle in her eyes and then walks away - I actually stood up in the theater when I saw it and started clapping.

And Judy Dench as Lady Catherine - it doesn't get any better than that.

I do agree about the Wickham betrayal. I didn't feel it like I did in the BBC version. I feel like the BBC P&P drug and drug and would never end...

I also agree about the yummy-ness of Alan Rickman. I'd pay just to hear him read the phone book.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 13, 2008 02:41PM) (new)

I'm so glad I found someone else who likes the new P&P. McFayden is absolutely gorgeous and the perfect Mr. Darcy. I liked him much better than stuffy Colin Firth, although I know I'll find many who will disagree. And the setting and music made the film absolutely addicting. I've watched it at least ten times and will probably buy the DVD when I get around to it so I can watch it more. The only thing I didn't like were the cheesy "modern day" cliche lines that Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth said to each other at the end like "You've bewitched me body and soul" and "Call me goddess divine." That was really corny.

message 12: by Rebecca (last edited Jan 21, 2008 03:53PM) (new)

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) | 17 comments Here are mine:

Sense and Sensibility-is my favorite Austen book. I absolutely am in love with the 1995 version with Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson. I also am in love with Alan Rickman's Brandon and Hugh Grants Edward Farrars. I'm interested to see this new version. I want to see how true it is to the book.

Persuasion- I have to say that my love has equaled for the new version on PBS and the Ciaran Hinds version a few years ago.

Pride and Prejudice- My favorite is the version with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. I adore the version with Sir Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson. I also loved the 2005 version-it wasn't as true to the book, however it was beautiful and romantic.

Emma-Gwyneth version for sure. However, I do enjoy Clueless.

Northanger Abbey-this recent version is my favorite.

Mansfield Park-The 1999 version. However I haven't seen this new one. We shall see.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) | 17 comments I had also meant to comment how much I loved Donald Sutherland's performance as Mr. Bennett. I think that his portrayal was the best of any P&P movie. It was his speech to Elizabeth regarding her love for Darcy at the end of the movie that moved me to tears. He was fantastic.

message 14: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 8 comments I absolutely agree with drbrown - s & s was an excellent adaptation - true to the book, with great actors who simply personified their characters. My favourite - Alan Rickman! Could not quite get Kiera'a Elizabeth in P & P. I guess i had always imagined a different persona for Elizabeth!

message 15: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 8 comments By the way, isn't it interesting that Kiera in P&P has received such diverse reviews in this discussion? Perhaps Austen's Elizabeth is such a complex character that different people perceive her so differently? The power of Austen's genius...!

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyd1) Hands down, no contest, my two absolute favorites are the 1995 Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, tied with the Emma Thompson adaptation of Sense and Sensibility. I own both of these on DVD and take them out from time to time to watch all over again.

I have to agree with the above comments regarding Alan Rickman. The man is sex on legs, and one of his finest roles to date, in my opinion, is his portrayal of Colonel Brandon.

message 17: by Rebecca (last edited Jan 28, 2008 11:49AM) (new)

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) | 17 comments What did everyone think of Mansfield Park? I liked it actually. I love the urgency of Edmond at the end as he's chasing Fanny. She was almost to pretty for the part though.

ha I enjoy all of the Alan Rickman love. I feel so naughty as he's 5 days older than my own father. However, he's a sexy bugger. I recently saw Snow Cake and he was lovely in that as well. However, my favorite role is Jamie in Truly, Madly, Deeply. sigh.

message 18: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
Who knew this topic would gather so many raves about Alan Rickman? He is wonderful and deserves all this credit and more.

I have only watched part of the Sunday's Mansfield. The backtoback new adaptations just remind me how diverse her novels were. Each one has such a different color and flavor. Mansfield really seems to stand on it own to me. Was it her last work published during her lifetime? With such diversity, imagine if Austen had lived another 20 years or more. I havent read it, but the uncompleted Sanditon really steered in a different direction from her previous works, did it not?

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 29, 2008 12:04PM) (new)

I didn't like the Mansfield Park adaptation (I don't know how many there are, but the one they always showed on HBO). It was horrible and completely untrue to the book. Imagine, Fanny falling for that guy she abhors and accepting him as her boyfriend for a while. In the book, she's never untrue to Edmond. I think the book is moralistic and sombre in nature and the movie was just a little too modern day "trashy" for my taste, though I'll admit, it was funny. Just my two cents!

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Ooh, I hated the Mansfield Park last week! Snore!

Best adaptation hands down is the Colin Firth P&P, followed by Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility.

message 21: by Rebecca (last edited Feb 04, 2008 11:00AM) (new)

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) | 17 comments I think that her last published novel was "Persuasion".

Mansfield Park isn't my favorite novel, however, the lastest adaptation wasn't as boring as others in the past.

It's interesting to hear other's perspectives.

Last night's "Miss Austen Regrets" was quite good...and very sad. People died in such pain. I guess that they think that she died of Hodgkins Disease or another form of cancer. Is that correct?

message 22: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

I have read a lot about Persuasion, as it is my favorite of her novels. It was completed but not published until after her death. Some believe she would have made further revisions, even though one of her letters states that it was ready for publication. Of course who knows -- it is such a fine story I cant imagine it any better! ha ha Anyway, I just launched into that because I find it interesting -- I know the thread was about Mansfield Park and Miss Austen Regrets -- sorry --

I did find the PBS Mansfield an interesting version -- better than the previous adaption of it. Some of the characters did seem to go "out of character" though.

Miss Austen Regrets was a dark picture of Austen's life, really showing family problems, relationship difficulties, money problems. It was appropriately named too.

In the bio by Claire Tomalin, there is a postscript that offers the discussion that Austen did die of Hodgkins or something similar. I think researchers have really only pieced together symptoms described in letters and diary entries about her to conclude that - because that is all they have to go on.

After Austen Regrets last week, I will be relieved to sit down and watch a little Colin Firth this week --that should be a little more cheerful. ha ha

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) | 17 comments mmmmmcolinfirth.

there is nothing better.

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarey1127) | 10 comments I totally agree - Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen book and the BBC version with Amanda Root is my favorite adaptation. I feel like I am living the emotions that playout across her face as she meets Wentworth again.

message 25: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarey1127) | 10 comments Jamie,
I say - bring on the adaptations! I am always interested in what a different actor, director, screenwriter will bring to the Jane Austen novel. You just can't have too many!

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) | 17 comments This is why I'm interested to see the new Sense and Sensibility.

message 27: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Sara,

I agree with you. I had said something similar in a post in one of the other topics in this group. I like that the versions are different and bring different emphasis and thoughts to the story. True classics inspire a variety of film directors to try their hand.

I compared it to the many different versions of Shakespeare's plays that we have seen done at this point in time. It's funny, but the more different they are, the more they inspire me to read or re-read the original plays. I think I do that with the Austen novels too and other classic works.

Do you know what I mean?

message 28: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarey1127) | 10 comments Sarah,
I totally agree. Question: How do you feel about adaptations that are a real stretch like - Clueless?
Just wondering . . .

message 29: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) | 17 comments I enjoy seeing the similarities of "far off" adaptations. One of my faves is "10 Things I Hate About You" based on Shakespeares play, "The Taming of the Shrew". It's a bit "out there" from the play but enjoyable nonetheless.

message 30: by Korie (new)

Korie Brown (drbrown) | 11 comments I love 'far off' adaptations. I really liked Clueless as well as Bridget Jones' Diary. That said, I admire producers who are willing to try a straight adaptation, which is often seen as a financial risk. "Much Ado About Nothing", with Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh, is one I really liked, as was "Henry V." (and yeah, I watch movies that are from England just because they're from England. If a movie makes it across the pond, it's got to have merit!)

BTW... I really love the phrasing: 'the man is sex on legs.' May I borrow it? I have to laugh because one time I was perusing Alan Rickman's pix on imdb, and my husband came upstairs and caught me, and I guess I was blushing... so now he teases me about "looking for naked pictures of ALan Rickman." =)

message 31: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarey1127) | 10 comments The previous posts named some of my favorite movies! I must say that I really love a lot of literary adaptations (ok so some are not too great- isn't there some kung fu adaptation of Romeo and Juliet?) Dr Brown I think we have very similar tastes in movies!

message 32: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5 comments I think Clueless is a brilliant modern adaptation of Emma, aside from being a really enjoyable film to watch! The decisions they made to modernize the characters were really good - especially that of making the Frank Churchill character gay rather than in a secret relationship. Cher's "makeover" of Tai was a great modern retelling of Emma's friendship with Harriet Smith.
For the record, my favorite film adaptation of an Austen novel is Emma (Gwyneth Paltrow version) because it is clever and genuinely funny. Top-notch cast and incredible script.

message 33: by Becky (new)

Becky (JAaddict) | 3 comments P and P is most definatly Colin Firth, even though the thing that got me stuck on Jane Austen was when my friend made me sit down and watch "this great movie called Pride and Prejudice." The black and white version is bad to the book but a plesure to watch.
S and S hands town goes with the Emma Thompson. One I saw of it from BBC killed me because they did not even have a Margaret.
Persuation I love is the one with Amanda Root, that is so like it would be back then.
Emma, I like the one that has Kate B. she, I feal, is a great Emma. When I was younger, and had no idea who Jane Austen was, I really like the movie Clueless. Now I see that it is a good version of Emma. I see how much Jane Austen was in my life and had no idea of it.
Northanger Abbey, I haven't read that book yet so I don't know which one I like even though I have only seen a BBC version and the one on PBS.
Mansfield Park, I like the one that is tied with the story of Jane Austen, even though it is not like the book.
I also love Becoming Jane, even though it is a huge stretch on the relationship between Tom and Jane.
The Jane Austen Book Club is a good movie. I read the book first and I like how they incorporate Jane Austen into todays society.

message 34: by Lily (new)

Lily | 2 comments wow i definitely could not deal with the b/w laurence olivier version of P and P. I watched about 10 minutes and then skimmed through some more of it, then turned it off entirely. i felt that it was not only unfaithful to the book, the fashion of the time period, but also was rewritten to be incredibly sexist. The sexism is especially hard to bear, since jane was very pro women power (relative to the paradigm of the time).
I must say that i really love the bbc version of p and p. i didn't like the recent remake of persuasion, i prefer the 95 masterpiece theater version.
i have hopes that the new s and s will be great, but so far i haven't heard anything promising about any of the bbc's recent remakes.

message 35: by Gail (last edited Feb 29, 2008 03:57PM) (new)

Gail Burnett | 2 comments I agree with everything DrBrown says above (way above), except that I thought Donald Sutherland was OK in P&P. I also love the Amanda Root Persuasion. I did enjoy that Mansfield Park in spite of the liberties they took. I thought the recent PBS versions of Mansfield Park and Persuasion were pretty awful. Mashed down and crumpled are good descriptions of a lot of the shorter versions. And the ending of the KK Pride & Prejudice is ridiculous, though I'm sure I would love it if I were 16.

message 36: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Last night I finally saw the Emma Thompson adaptation of Sense & Sensibility, and I thought it was brilliant. Without wishing to bring down upon myself the wratch of S&S fans, I do think it's an inferior book, and Thompson did a marvellous job of making a silk purse out of the sow's ear ;).

It's rare that I put down my book or abandon my computer actually to watch a film, but S&S definitely held my attention throughout. In particular, Edward Ferrars came across as a fully-rounded character rather than the cipher he is in the book.

Husband thought it very amusing that I kept hissing Willoughby and Lucy Steele, loll.

message 37: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rprensner) | 35 comments Since posting the topic< I saw that adaption of S&S and think it's the best Austen adaptation I've ever seen. It was not perfect, only because it was too short! Kate Winslet was perfectly young and passionate and lovely, and Emma Thompson perfectly reserved and pained. I enjoyed the book more after I saw the movied because Hugh Grant did such a great job. Alan Rickman was a little old, though, especially since Kate WInslet seemed so young. But it had beautiful cinematography, a decent script, was completely enchanting.

message 38: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rprensner) | 35 comments This is what I've decided about P&P.
The Bennets are better in the new one. Kiera's liveliness made her much closer to the Elizabeth I had imagined. Mr. Bennet did a better job of being aloof but loving.
All the guys are better in the old one. Matthew Macfeydon didn't do a bad job, but he's just not good looking enough to play the ultimate man of your dreams. Bingly was basically a comic character in the new one. WIckham barely had an appearance in the new one. Colin Firth plays Darcy very well, though I think he's too serious. Bingly is so kind in the old one, and Wickha very convincing.

message 39: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) | 17 comments I think that Donald Sutherland is a beautiful Mr. Bennet. The scene at the end where he talks with Lizzie about her love for Darcy makes me tear up every time. He is fantastic.

message 40: by LeOta (last edited Mar 19, 2008 11:19AM) (new)

LeOta (berrylota) | 26 comments My favorite adaptation's go as follows:

Sense and Sensibility - 1995 version. I realize that the actors are older than the characters in the book, but they did such an excellent job I didn't notice until the 4th or 5th time watching it. The sets are beautiful and the music is wonderful.

Emma - 1996 (Gwyneth Paltrow). It is a condensed version and I miss some of the things cut out, but again the sets are beyond beautiful, costumes are lovely and the actors really pull it off. Alan Cumming as Mr. Elton it too much!!!

Pride and Prejudice - 1995 version. Hands down, this is my favorite adaptation of P&P. The 1940 version is wonderful too, and I also enjoyed the 1980 version (those BBC versions tend to stay true to the book and leave very little out), but had a hard time with the 2005 version - too short and choppy. Don't get me wrong, I still watch it over and over.

Persuasion - 1971. A lot of people love the 1995 version, and I liked that one too, I just prefer this version. Elizabeth and Mary don't seem as harsh in this version and provide plenty of comical moments. The 2007 version was very pretty and eventually it will grow on me, but I really didn't care for Anne running around BATH at the end.

Mansfield Park - 1983 version is the one I prefer. Lady Bertram and her little pug crack me up. The 1999 version was pretty and had nice costumes, but strayed too far from JA's novel. I kind of didn't like the 2007 version, but am sure that eventually it will grow on me.

Northanger Abbey - 2007 is much more enjoyable to me than the 1986 version.

message 41: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 1 comments There have been several adaptations I love. My favorite is Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth in P&P. Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow and Emma Thompson in S&S are also great. Persuasion with Amanda Root was one of my first favorites that I have watched too many times to count.
I am sorry to say that I hated the K Knightly version of P&P. I was so excited about seeing it. Somewhere near the end of the movie, I really just wanted to run from it. I thought Knightly was terrible as Elizabeth. I also found Darcy lacking. But I guess it would be hard to compte with Colin Firth in my mind!

message 42: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (BSundeen) | 2 comments I liked Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow. It was fairly accurate to the book. I love the Persuasion from the 90's--the PBS version from this year is a little cheesy. The BBC Pride & Prejudice is one of my favorites. It is faithful to the book and the Elizabeth is the way I imagined her. The Keira Knightley version had moments that would not have been ok in that day. Darcy would never come over and see her in her nightgown--while romantic not real.

message 43: by Liz (new)

Liz I liked Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley. She really captured the character of Lizzy in my opinion. I also loved Sense and Sensiblity. My friend and I have a thing for Alan Rickman. He is so perfect in Sense and Sensibility.

message 44: by Emily (new)

Emily | 6 comments I'll just be reiterating what others have said, but honestly, Austen adaptations can never be praised enough! I love to escape into her world with the beautiful, simple gowns of her heroines, the wildness of the English countryside, and the repressed manners of English society. I'm American, so it's an endless treat for me to escape my country!

My faves:
1995 A&E version of P&P. Colin Firth will always be my Mr. Darcy. Plus, this adaptation is so faithful to the book! Stellar, stellar version!

Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow. Mmmm, Jeremy Northam: "I rode through the rain" speech. Yes, please!

Persuasion with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. Completely captures the spirit of the novel. I've watched this more often than any other Austen adaptation, though everytime I see it, the final kiss disappoints.

The new Northanger Abbey with JJ Feild! So much fun!

Mansfield Park with Frances O'Connor. Not very true to the book, but a fun film nonetheless.

Finally, Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility. I second all the Alan Rickman shout-outs. He's fantastic. That voice!

message 45: by Smokinjbc (last edited Aug 14, 2008 08:07AM) (new)

Smokinjbc | 9 comments I think Ang Lee's Sense & Sensibility is the best of all the adaptations, both for the acting/adapted script and the beauty of the cinematography. I am always touched by Elinor picking up the teacup and sitting on the stairs while her family consoles themselves with wailing. Just beautiful.

I think Persuasion with Amanda Root is my second favorite. I actually watched it several times over YEARS thinking it was over when they walk down the street together but walked away and left the tape running once and caught the real ending on the ship.

The Jane Austen list group is always down on Rozema Mansfield Park- but I love that they gave Fanny a little spark and Henry and Mary are just deliciously bad.

message 46: by Janiene (new)

Janiene Shroyer (emmaregina) | 1 comments What about Bride and Prejudice (a.k.a. Balle Balle! Amritsar to L.A), the Bollywood adaptation of Pride and Prejudice directed by Gurinder Chadha? All the singing and fanfare of Bollywood with this classic English story is such a fun alternative. The best is Mr. Kohli, the Indian expat version of Mr. Collins. Sure, the choice of Martin Henderson as Darcy is only so-so, but the rest of the movie more than makes up for that. I was so doubtful when I first started watching this movie, but it quickly became a favorite.

message 47: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Janiene - I agree with you about Bride and Prejudice - I really like it too! I've just had to rent it more than once. :)

message 48: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 2 comments while I adore the BBC version of P&P, and I absolutely detest the kiera knightley version (seriously, who goes out in the rain with a GUY back then in her nightgown and mascara running from her eyes??), but I love a modern version of P&P - 2003, with Kam Heskin. sooooooo darn funny.....

Emma with Gwyneth is to-die-for too. :)

message 49: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 98 comments "Emma" with Gwyneth Paltrow and Jeremy(swoony!) Northam, who endeared me forever to Mr. K. (he is really so dear!) I think this film completely captures the spirit of all the characters and is absolutely darling and sooo funny without losing the "moral" of the story.
(For a modern adapt. "Clueless" is fun, too, but nowhere near as great.)

A&E "P&P" for its utter completeness and, again, very accurate rendering of the characters and moods of the plot. (I did not particularly like the Kiera Knightly version nor her in the role. I think Jennier Ehle (sp?) is the best Elizabeth and, um, Colin Firth...!? Who could compare!?) I did like "Bride and Prejudice" though I felt it was a bit more superficial take on the deep Austen tale, but it's good fun and in the spirit of the novel and a really gorgeous film. (And, yeah, Mr. Kohli is so deliciously-annoying!)

Ang Lee's "Sense and Sensiblity" as I feel it captures the characters and subties of the plot better than the recent BBC version. Also, though Thompson and Grant are a bit more advanced in years than I'd think of for Elinor and Edward, they pull it off and I think Winselt is great as Marianne and Alan Rickman is absolutely fantastic as Col. Brandon (in fact, his portrayal made me warm up to the character because, in my mid-teens when I read the book, I just couldn't get into Brandon in the book.)

I like "Mansfield Park" with Francis O'Connor to a degree--though I have to be in the right mood for it as it's a much darker film than most Austen adaptations.

Anyone have thoughts on "Becoming Jane" since I almost think of it as an "adaptation" of her books (rather than a "biography")??? I thought it had some lovely moments, but overall I felt it was flat and rather insulting to Austen insinuating that she had to have a passionate love affair in order for her to blossom as a writer.

message 50: by Zandy (new)

Zandy Bobby, I totally agree with u! I own the BBC version, and I never get tired of it, but the Kiera Knightley version was not as accurate and interesting!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11