Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Can I add 'notes' when I add a book to my book shelf ?

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pankaj (new)

Pankaj Ghanshani | 3 comments I get book recommendations from my family, friends, colleagues etc.
I add those books to my toRead shelf, but with each book I would like to put a note mentioning the source of recommendation. For example, "the Power of Habit" book recommended by my company boss, "little prince" recommended by my friend - Arun etc.

So essentially I am asking for tags / notes that I can attach to my books.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 2066 comments Yes you can :)

Go to the shelf you're wanting, in this case To-Read

At the top in small writing it will say shelf settings:custom

Click on that. Find "Notes" and check that box. Save current settings and it should show up for you now as a column on that list.

This is the only page I know to access them from.

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1462 comments On the review page, click on more options to get the private notes field.

message 4: by Pankaj (new)

Pankaj Ghanshani | 3 comments Thank you so much Erin, this works !

Erin wrote: "Yes you can :)

Go to the shelf you're wanting, in this case To-Read

At the top in small writing it will say shelf settings:custom

Click on that. Find "Notes" and check that box. Save current set..."

message 5: by Betsy (last edited Nov 14, 2012 01:29AM) (new)

Betsy | 1157 comments Why not use the Who Recommended to Me field. It's also on the review page under 'more options'.

message 6: by Pankaj (new)

Pankaj Ghanshani | 3 comments Thanks Betsy, this also works but is a lot more work than adding a private Note.

You can add a private note right on your book-shelf page whereas for a review page, one needs to go that books review, check a few options add the recommender and come back. But yeah, both work - thanks again.

Betsy wrote: "Why not use the Who Recommended to Me field. It's also on the review page under 'more options'."

message 7: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Nov 14, 2012 06:40AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) You can add the Recommended by field on your My Books also. Is that not editable? (Guess not, and I wonder why not?)