YA Writers and Readers discussion

The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)
This topic is about The Lost Hero

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kathy Horsman (KathywithaK27) | 1340 comments Mod
This is were we can discuss the book, ask questions of each other, really anything to this with the first book. Feel free to jump in if you want to read or discuss!!! I'll post what the time frame for reading will be when we have one lol

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) In true Riordan fashion, this book is a "hard to put down" and I am very excited to be reading it. I also love the whole Greek mythology meets Roman mythology aspect. I am looking forward to the rest of the series. And I know I'll be sad when it's over like I was with the Percy Jackson series!!

I thought Percy Jackson was a surprisingly wonderful series, so I'm glad to here this one is so far. Obviously from that comment, I haven't started it yet (plan to tonight) but I just wanted to leave a message for anybody that would like to read it with us that we decided to do 10 chapters every three days. That would put 10 chapters done on the 16th!!!!

Nitzan Schwarz (NitzanAfterwords) I loved The Lost Hero! It's different from Percy Jackson cause we have Roman mythology intertwined with the Greek, new characters and they start older. Also, contrary to Percy Jackson it is told from third-person, and each couple or three (I don't remember) chapters spotlight another characters.
I liked all the new characters, especially Leo!
Riordan proves he's still got it with this new series; humor, action, believable and human characters, and a gripping and flowing writing!
But I was really sad we didn't get to see (view spoiler) in this book! ~cries~
Luckily, the second book is all about him!

How are you guys enjoying The Lost Hero so far? :]

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) I am enjoying it. I started last night, already got through my 10 chapters :) Will keep reading more this evening. I love how he mixes it, and they keep talking about Percy going missing. I really like Jason's character. Leo is also really funny. And of course, I was happy to see the original characters from Percy Jackson (Annabeth...Chiron...etc)

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) I just got to chapter 13 this morning. Have you been able to start reading?

Yes!! I have! Started it yesterday and so far I think it's great. I have some suspicions about Jason but I guess we will see what happens. I really like switching characters perspectives every couple of chapters, I think it's nice to get into different POVs to keep a story moving.

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) I enjoy the different POV's too...oh just wait! I am on Chapter 17 I think. I love how Riordan builds the plot. I love how it builds and builds, because Riordan, to my experience, really knows how to give you that "explosion" after building onto a plot. I hate when some books build and build, but nothing comes from it. If that makes sense?

It does make sense, I just hope he doesn't build and build then it explodes and after is all downhill. I hate feeling like a book is dragging to get anywhere but it's almost worse when it ends awkwardly.

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) My previous experience with Riordan, it is not like that at all. It leaves you craving more

What do you think of Leo? I feel like he's going to be my favorite character.

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) Oh he is too funny. I like his personality. I am a little on the fence about Piper though...which I am sure we are supposed to be.

Yea, I'm not sure what to make of Piper. At first I thought she was going to end up the hero by saving her Dad AND everyone else, but I'm not so sure anymore. I'm also don't know if I'm completely sold on Jason either, maybe even more so than Piper. He keeps talking in Roman terms, which to me is a big red flag considering they keep talking the Gods as awful people in the Roman era lol

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) Well, I kinda like Jason. I don't think the Roman gods aren't meant to be portrayed as awful, but just more strict and harsh than the Greek gods...which the Greek gods are pretty out there at times.

I do like how a lot of it reflects back to the Percy Jackson series...I am curious as to what happened to Percy for Annabeth to go search for him

I guess my hesitation with Jason is what the book said about the Greeks and the Romans being the same Gods but different personalities. The Greek form being light-hearted and playful, versus the Roman form being discipline and always ready for war, what does that mean for Jason versus the other demi-gods? They all are the hero type, saving things and acting for the good of all people. Does that mean Jason is their opposite? More like destruction and "evil"? And what's worse is he doesnt know himself!! lol but I guess we will find out.

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) I guess to what I understand, or my thinking, the reason it's not good for him to be with the campers is because he was either 1 trained differently or 2 died. I think Hera had to take his memories because in his lifetime he may have had to fight these creatures and maybe it didn't go so well. So if he could remember them, he may not want to do it again. I could be wrong though. But that's just how I've understood it so far. I know If it were me, and I had memories of these things, I don't know if I could go through that again

Oh, that's good a point, I didn't even think of something like that. It would make sense with what Annabeth had said about his quest HOPEFULLY turning out well, meaning it hasn't before lol. I do have this suspicion that Jason and Percy are really connected somehow, because everything that's happened with each, the other has had something big going on at the same time, like Percy going missing and Jason suddenly appearing.

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) I just finished the book!! Omg it was awesome. I want to start the second one immediately! I need more. I won't give anything away. Let me know where you are :)

whoa LOL that was fast but I'm glad you liked it, so far I think it's great. I've got about 120 pages to go but it's been a quick read so far when I can get a second to read for more than 20 minutes!! I'll be done soon but I definitely want to move on to the rest of the series!!

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) Yeah. I'm a fast reader when I enjoy what I'm reading!! Can't wait til we discuss the rest of the book and how you like the ending ;) leaves you wanting more.

I have a feeling what that ending is going to be LOL! I feel like my hunches about Jason and Percy are getting more accurate as I keep reading. I clearly do not read fast enough!!

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) Hahaha :) Well I am not saying anything. so when you figure it all out or it happens...then we can chat about it :) LOL. I went to the library to get the second one last night...and they didn't have it :( So I might stop at a different library on my way home tonight

Don't take this the wrong way, but good, now I can catch up!

I am so close to being done. I'm so glad they saved Piper's father, I really didn't. think they were going to save him!!

Finally finished it! Totally saw the the two camps coming, but I thought Jason and Percy were going to be the same person not switched. I'm really looking forward to the next book!!!

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) Yay! I am picking up book two Monday when I get back in town. Of course the library gets my books I requested the day I left! :) So I am reading Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. The Lost Hero left me with a "book hangover" it took me a bit to get started in on this current book because I was so caught up in The Lost Hero still. I am so looking forward to it. I am glad Piper didn't do what she was planning. I like that about Riordan books. You really truly believe that a character will do what it is they are afraid they might do even though you wish they wouldn't but you know they will, and then all of a sudden 20 different possibilities occur for them to be able to "have their cake and eat it too." I didn't see the Thalia and Jason thing though. The Percy Jackson books really had it made out that Thalia was the only child of Zeus. I know Jason came along when Zeus was in his Roman form, but they are still the same people (ish). Can't wait!

I think what I like most about his books is the way he explains history that everyone knows and explains how the demigods really caused it to happen. In this one it was the Civil War caused by the two camps meeting, that's really creative and interesting.

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) Yeah I liked that as well... I am getting book 2 at the library today. It is on hold for me :)

Started the second one yesterday, I'm going to add another thread under this folder to keep everything organized!