What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > former pilot acocmpanies wife to south of France; solves murder

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Achumley (new)

Achumley | 1 comments Hi there,

New to this group. and hoping someone out there has read this book and can recall the title and author.

I read the book 3 years ago. Struck me as not more than 10 years old. The author was from the U.K. and apparently often wrote about technology and warned of its implications. It struck me as somewhat Aldous Huxley-like though not as heavy.

Synopsis as best I can recall:

A former/injured/downed pilot with a bum leg has become and editor of an aviation magazine.

His wife is a doctor (psychiatrist?) and takes an ex pat job in something like the South of France. The job is as the company doctor for one of sevel organizations recently headquartered in a new office park around which ex pats from all over the world with too much money and bored spouses live.

The pilot-cum-editor husband drives down from the U.K. in his classic covertible (think is was a gree jag). With workaholic wife busy at work (and changing by the minute with odd behavior and heavy drug use) and withdrawing from the relationship, this gent has a whack of spare time on his hands.

He sets about to solve the murder of the incumbent that his wife has replaced.

He notices things like corporately-organized mass violence against the locals as a means of blowing off steam; something the murdered incumbant took issues with and for which he was murdered.

The book was called somethign like: Brand or Corporation Or Company or something.

It was somewhat utopic/distopic. Utopic from the outside. distopic from within.

Please help!
Anyone know this author / book?

thx
AC

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 2169 comments Mod
This sounds really interesting! I'll have to read this, as soon as it is solved!

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Brien | 150 comments I'd like to add this to my to read list, too!

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 6910 comments Mod
I too will have to add it to my TBR mountain when it is found. All we need to do is keep it bumped up. :o)

Isabel (kittiwake) | 106 comments Super-Cannes by J. G. Ballard.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 20355 comments Mod
Super-Cannes for Isabel's link. It does sound like that is the book. Achumley, are you there?

message 7: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 20355 comments Mod
Achumley last posted in 2012. Moving to Abandoned.