She-Geeks discussion

Manga > Manga Terms and Examples

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chimney (last edited Nov 16, 2012 05:18PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments So, I figured a would make a thread for terms and examples to help people that are new to the manga scene. Each term will, hopefully, contain two titles as examples. I hope this list helps. :)

List is still under construction

*Edit - The majority of the examples can fall under more than one term/category.

Gender Bending – Contains a character that has either been turned into or is masquerading as the opposite gender.
Examples - The Day of Revolution, Volume 01 and Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 01
The Day of Revolution, Volume 01 by Mikiyo Tsuda Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 (Ouran High School Host Club, #1) by Bisco Hatori

Recommended Anime - Kampfer

Harem - A bunch of girls vying for the attention/affection of a single male character.
Examples - Alien Nation and School Days
Alien Nation (The All-New Tenchi Muyo!, Vol. 1) by Hitoshi Okuda School Days by Sakazuki Homare

Recommended Anime - Clannad

Josei - Targeted towards an older female audience and is usually contains more mature content than shoujo.
Examples - Karneval, Vol. 1 and Bunny Drop 1
Karneval, Vol. 1 (Karneval, #1) by Touya Mikanagi Bunny Drop 1 (Bunny Drop, #1) by Yumi Unita

Komodo - Series geared towards children and family. (Thank you, Lashya! :D )
Examples - Kilala Princess, Volume 1 and Cardcaptor Sakura, Volume 1
Kilala Princess, Volume 1 by Rika Tanaka Cardcaptor Sakura, Volume 1 by CLAMP

Recommended Anime - The Cat Returns

Magical Girl - Are usually young (about pre-teen/teenager) girls whom transform and tend to have superhuman/magical abilities.
Examples - Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 1 and Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 1 by Magica Quartet Sailor Moon, Vol. 1 by Naoko Takeuchi

Recommended Anime - Happy Seven (or the Madoka anime, which is fantastic!)

Mecha - Deals heavily with machinery, usually giant robots!
Examples - G Gundam, Book 1 and ZOIDS Chaotic Century, Vol. 1: Zoids
G Gundam, Book 1 by Koichi Tokita ZOIDS Chaotic Century, Vol. 1 Zoids by Michiro Ueyama

Recommended Anime - Star Driver

Reverse Harem - A number of boys vying for the attention/affection of a single female character.
Examples - and Ugly Duckling's Love Revolution, Vol. 1 and Alice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 1

Ugly Duckling's Love Revolution, Vol. 1 by Yuuki Fujinari Alice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 1 (Alice in the Country of Hearts, #1) by QuinRose

Recommended Anime - Uta no Prince-sama - Maji Love 1000%

Seinen - Targeted towards an older male audience. It is similar to shonen, but tends to be darker and deals with more mature content.
Examples - and Battle Royale, Vol. 1 and Yubisaki Milk Tea, Volume 1
Battle Royale, Vol. 1 (Battle Royale, #1) by Koushun Takami Yubisaki Milk Tea, Volume 1 by Tomochika Miyano

Recommended Anime - Tiger & Bunny

Shojo (Shoujo) - Targeted towards a younger female audience (roughly 10 – 18) and usually focuses on romance and other relationships.
Examples - Romeo x Juliet and Full Moon O Sagashite, Volume 1
Romeo x Juliet by COM Full Moon O Sagashite, Volume 1 by Arina Tanemura

Recommended Anime - Kimi ni Todoke

Shojo-ai (Shoujo-ai) - Romance between two females with no explicit sexual content.
Examples - Kashimashi Vol 1 and Strawberry Panic: Volume 1
Kashimashi Vol 1 by Satoru Akahori Strawberry Panic Volume 1 by Sakurako Kimino

Recommended Anime - Yuruyuri

Shonen - Targeted towards a younger male audience (roughly 10 – 18) and usually focuses on combat and comedy.
Examples - Reborn!, Vol. 1 and Cyborg 009, Volume 1
Reborn!, Vol. 1 by Akira Amano Cyborg 009, Volume 1 by Shotaro Ishinomori

Recommended Anime - Get Backers

Shonen-ai - Romance between two males without explicit content.
Examples - Seven Days: Monday → Thursday / セブンデイズ and Eerie Queerie!, Volume 1
Seven Days Monday → Thursday / セブンデイズ by Venio Tachibana Eerie Queerie!, Volume 1 (Eerie Queerie!, #1) by Shuri Shiozu

Recommended Anime - Gravitation

Sports - A series focusing on a sport or sports.
Examples - おおきく振りかぶって 1 Ookiku Furikabutte 1 and Eyeshield 21: The Boy With the Golden Legs, Vol. 1
おおきく振りかぶって 1 Ookiku Furikabutte 1  by Asa Higuchi Eyeshield 21 The Boy With the Golden Legs, Vol. 1 (Eyeshield 21, #1) by Riichiro Inagaki

Recommended Anime - Over Drive

Yaoi - Romance between two males with explicit sexual content.
Examples - Yellow, Volume 01 and Gakuen Heaven Endo Calling You
Yellow, Volume 01 by Makoto Tateno Gakuen Heaven Endo Calling You (Gakuen Heaven Endou Calling You) by You Higuri

Yuri - Romance between two females with explicit sexual content.
Examples -

message 2: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Is anyone interested in fandom/fanfiction terms?

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 133 comments Yes!!! I look them up when I see a term I don't recognize. I've been known to spend some time on TV Tropes, wandering around and learning new terms and such.

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Good job, Chimney. It's already making more sense. :)

message 5: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Thanks! :)

Jennifer, I will put together a list of terms.:)

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 133 comments Chimney wrote: "Thanks! :)

Jennifer, I will put together a list of terms.:)"

Thank you!!

message 7: by Chimney (last edited Dec 10, 2012 06:35PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments The Guide to Fandom/Fanfiction

This is just a small example of what I hope to make into a more comprehensible list. Is there any terms that you all feel should be on it?

AU - Alternate Universe

Gary Stu - A male character whom is pretty much prefect. They tend to have little or no flaws and everybody tends to fall in love with them.

H/C - Hurt/Comfort

Mary Sue - A female character whom is pretty much prefect. They tend to have little or no flaws and everybody tends to fall in love with them.

MPreg - Male Pregnancy

OC – Original Characters

OOC – Out of Character

OTP – One True Pairing

Slash – A same-sex romantic pairing

message 8: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (new)

Kay Lotus (ayokayo) | 249 comments Mod
Oooh, this is interesting and helpful. Explain H/C to me. Is that like a subgenre or just common lingo?

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 133 comments I like where this is going. Please do tell me more about H/C, and MPreg.

Now, some of these sound like genre's of fanfiction, while others are just common terms, am I right? Are there examples for these, too?

Could we include some of the more Japanese terms and genre's as well, like Bishonen, Bishoujo, and Doujinshi?

message 10: by Stefani - SpelingExpirt, White Rabbit (new)

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (Speling_Expirt) | 307 comments Mod
Is it possible to add some Yuri examples? I'm more likely to read Yuri, Shojo-ai and Gender Bending.

message 11: by Chimney (last edited Nov 15, 2012 06:47PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Kay Lotus wrote: "Oooh, this is interesting and helpful. Explain H/C to me. Is that like a subgenre or just common lingo?"

Jennifer wrote: "I like where this is going. Please do tell me more about H/C, and MPreg.

Now, some of these sound like genre's of fanfiction, while others are just common terms, am I right? Are there examples fo..."

Hurt/Comfort is usually used when describing a fanfiction. If it has H/C it usually means that a character/s is going to go through a difficult time and/or is struggling with a huge conflict (injury, torture, illness, abusive past/present) and is helped through it by another character or characters. It is generally what the entire story is about. Sometimes you will see this term used in online conversation among anime/manga/fanfiction fans. It can also be referred to as whump/whumping where it focuses a bit more on the hurt aspect. I believe it is considered a subgenre in fanfiction.

MPreg, well this one is a bit harder to describe. It's a story where a male (or males) is able to and gets pregnant. I can't really say how it works because in each story it's usually different from different DNA make-up to alien experiments. A manga example of this one is Love Pistols, Volume 1. It is the only one that I can think of at the moment. You see it a lot in fanfiction.
Love Pistols, Volume 1 by Tarako Kotobuki

A lot of them are fanfiction terms that are generally used among fans on a regular biases. H/C is especially used a lot in the Superfamily/Superhusbands fandom. I can try to find some manga examples for some of these terms, but they are mainly fandom/fangirl speak. I can add fanfiction examples too if any wants. :)

Of course! Would it be easier/better if I made a separate thread for these terms? Not sure how well it will all mesh together.

(I'm a huge fanfiction reader) ;)

message 12: by Chimney (last edited Nov 15, 2012 06:54PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Stefani wrote: "Is it possible to add some Yuri examples? I'm more likely to read Yuri, Shojo-ai and Gender Bending."

Certainly, I'm just researching some yuri titles now because I haven't had the chance to read many outside of shoujo-ai and heavily implied. :)

Lela wrote: "Stefani, yurimanga.net has some full mangas. Still, I'd like to read print versions. My library has little to no manga. Any suggestions?"

For a series? What are some of your favorite genres? Do you prefer longer or shorter series? Favorite shows or comics?

There are tons of places where you can find manga online too. Mangafox is a site that immediately comes to mind.

message 13: by Lashya (new)

Lashya Wilson | 94 comments Cry. Cry. Tear. Boo-Hoo. You didn't mention BLEACH 1: Strawberry and the Soul Reapers in the Shounen category !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cry. Cry. Tear. Boo-Hoo.
BLEACH 1 Strawberry and the Soul Reapers (Bleach, #1) by Tite Kubo

Well, at least you didn't mention that Naruto, Vol. 1: The Tests of the Ninja stuff, there, either !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Naruto, Vol. 1 The Tests of the Ninja by Masashi Kishimoto

Tite Kubo , Tite Kubo

Masashi Kishimoto , Masashi Kishimoto

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 133 comments Chimney wrote: "Kay Lotus wrote: "Oooh, this is interesting and helpful. Explain H/C to me. Is that like a subgenre or just common lingo?"

Jennifer wrote: "I like where this is going. Please do tell me more about..."

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to separate these into different categories or threads. I didn't realize just how many terms one has to catch up on with this, but its becoming more clear to me now. Thank you so much for this!

message 15: by Lashya (new)

Lashya Wilson | 94 comments Sorry to not have any examples of it, but Komodo is Children/Family Anime.

message 16: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (last edited Nov 16, 2012 02:07PM) (new)

Kay Lotus (ayokayo) | 249 comments Mod
Lashya wrote: "Cry. Cry. Tear. Boo-Hoo. You didn't mention BLEACH 1: Strawberry and the Soul Reapers in the Shounen category !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cry. Cry. Tear. Boo-Hoo.
[bookcover:BLEACH 1: Strawberry and ..."

Is two examples not sufficient enough? Lol. Plus, Bleach and Naruto are all too familiar. It's nice to see Chimney mentioning some versatile selections that I've never read before.

message 17: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Lela,

Not necessarily. H/C can have BDSM involved, but they are generally tagged and viewed separately. :)

message 18: by Chimney (last edited Nov 16, 2012 02:55PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Lashya wrote: "Sorry to not have any examples of it, but Komodo is Children/Family Anime."

Thanks, Lashya. :)

Jennifer wrote: "Yes, I think it would be a good idea to separate these into different categories or threads. I didn't realize just how many terms one has to catch up on with this, but its becoming more clear to me now. Thank you so much for this!"

No problem, Jennifer! I remember when I first started reading manga and fanfiction, and how overloaded I was with all the terms and abbreviations. I'm still learning some too! Pairing names are so hard to remember sometimes.

message 19: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments I just stumbled across the source called Fan History Wiki. It seems to have some helpful info. :)

message 20: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 17, 2012 12:43PM) (new)

Jennifer | 133 comments That does look helpful. I just found something similar the other day called Fanlore. Here's the link
http://fanlore.org/wiki/Main_Page

message 21: by Anna (Bananas!) (last edited Nov 19, 2012 01:54AM) (new)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments I actually added some Yaoi manga to my giant to-read pile today, based on recommendations: Loveless and Wild Rock. Looking forward to them!
- Hopefully nothing too traumatizing in these.

Also added from previous recs (including from Chimney): Kieli (looks good!), Full Moon O Sagashite, Afterschool Charisma, and Fruits Baskets.

message 22: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments I liked Wild Rock too! I would be a bit careful with Loveless though as the age difference (and the actual age of one of the characters) in the romance sometimes unsettles people.

I really like all the others. ;)

message 23: by Anna (Bananas!) (last edited Nov 19, 2012 09:28AM) (new)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Wild Rock and Kieli are the two I'm leaning towards first. If either of you can recommend other yaoi reads let me know. I love m/m romance.

message 24: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments I would recommend trying out the series Yellow, Volume 01 for a good yaoi read. Black Knight, Volume 01 was also good, but I only got to read the first volume, so I don't know how the entire series compares.

message 25: by Anna (Bananas!) (last edited Nov 19, 2012 11:58AM) (new)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Thx, Chim, added!
By the way I am ITCHING to read that Hushed book, as soon as I finish my current reads.

message 26: by Chimney (last edited Nov 19, 2012 12:23PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments You're welcome.
I absolutely adored Hushed! I look forward to your thoughts on it. :)

message 27: by kuseyo (new)

kuseyo I love drawing gender bends. Though I never drew one of myself XD

I read yaoi...alot. But yuri not so much. Though I seen one anime between too females--Strawberry Panic. Though I still didn't finish. I watched the first episode about two years ago.

message 28: by Anna (Bananas!) (new)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Chimney wrote: "You're welcome.
I absolutely adored Hushed! I look forward to your thoughts on it. :)"

I just ordered it from B&N! It's printed as ordered and will be in my hot little hands in 3-5 business days. Yeah!

message 29: by Anna (Bananas!) (new)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments easilyotaku00 wrote: "^I read Wild Rock, and it's pretty innocent for yaoi's standards. Hopefully, you like it!"

Can you recommend something not as innocent? I did pick up Wild Rock though.

message 30: by Chimney (last edited Dec 09, 2012 06:41PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Anna, have you tries Alcohol, Shirt & Kiss by Kuwabara Yuko? It's a pretty good one-shot yaoi manga.

Alcohol, Shirt & Kiss by Kuwabara Yuko

Als, if you don't mind mpreg I would recommend trying out Love Pistols, Volume 1, mentioned above, it has tons of not so innocent moments. However, some of the characters are in high school.

Love Pistols, Volume 1 by Tarako Kotobuki

message 31: by Anna (Bananas!) (new)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Thanks Chimney! I'll check these out. Mpreg sounds WEIRD but what the hell. Why not?

message 32: by Chimney (last edited Dec 10, 2012 08:18AM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments No problem-o! Mpreg is very strange. It usually leaves me thinking, 'wwwwhhhhhaaaaattttttt? and I'm very selective of what I read of it. The first time I read it in fanfiction I had no idea what mpreg meant and thought it to be very random though I have come across a few mpreg fics I really like. (The Superhusbands fandom is amazing!) Love Pistols mentions it, I believe, in the first volume, but nothing happens with it until volume three if I remember right. Anything from June is good very sexy fun times, there was also another publisher (Blu is kind of out of the game now) but I can't think of the name for some reason right now.

message 33: by Lashya (new)

Lashya Wilson | 94 comments Chimney wrote: "No problem-o! Mpreg is very strange. It usually leaves me thinking, 'wwwwhhhhhaaaaattttttt? and I'm very selective of what I read of it. The first time I read it in fanfiction I had no idea what mp..."

What is "Mpreg" ??????????????????

message 34: by Lint (new)

Lint | 6 comments If you're looking for good yaoi that's you can actually get a hard copy of, I'd recommend ZE, Volume 6 (but not just volume 6 of course, that was just the first link that came up for me) by Yuki Shimizu and Dog Style, Volume 1 by Modoru Motoni. ZE is more fantasy based yaoi, and it doesn't focus on any one couple, but it's a fantastic read. It starts off slow, but keep reading, I think it really hits its stride by the time it gets to the second or third volume. Dog Style is one of my personal favorites and a lot happens even if it's only three volumes. If you're going to go for what's really popular, I'd check out Finder, Volume 1: Target in the Finder, it's probably one of the most popular yaois in the genre.

I couldn't get into Love Pistols though. Male pregnancy kind of ruins the fun for me, and I'm not a fan of the art either.

message 35: by Chimney (last edited Dec 10, 2012 05:36PM) (new)

Chimney | 471 comments Lashya wrote: "Chimney wrote: "No problem-o! Mpreg is very strange. It usually leaves me thinking, 'wwwwhhhhhaaaaattttttt? and I'm very selective of what I read of it. The first time I read it in fanfiction I had..."

Mpreg is Male Pregnancy.

Yellow, Volume 01 is also rather popular among yaoi fans. The art in Love Pistols did take me awhile to get used to and it's still not my favorite, bit the romance does hold some interesting concepts. I still need to read Finder! I heard great things about it.

message 36: by Lashya (new)

Lashya Wilson | 94 comments ... UM-HUM ... ...

!!

message 37: by Lint (new)

Lint | 6 comments Chimney wrote: Mpreg is Male Pregnancy.

Yellow, Volume 01 is also rather popular among yaoi fans. The art in Love Pistols did take me awhile to get used to and it's still not my favorite, bit the romance does hold some interesting concepts. I still need to read Finder! I heard great things about it.

What are you waiting for? :D I'll admit, I totally fangirl Finder like everyone else. Art is fantastic and there's a ton of nose bleed moments. And Asami, Asami...sigh. If you end up liking Finder, I'd also check out Crimson Spell by the same manga-ka. It's a little more fetish-y then Finder, but for me personally, not as bad as Love Pistols. It's a shame I can't get my hands on a hard copy of Crimson Spell since I think the publishing company went defunct. It's like stuck in this licensing limbo. Bleh.

message 38: by Anna (Bananas!) (new)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Chimney wrote: "No problem-o! Mpreg is very strange. It usually leaves me thinking, 'wwwwhhhhhaaaaattttttt..."

I do love the things I learn from you, Chimney. Lol
All this weird-ass manga. :)

message 39: by Anna (Bananas!) (new)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Lint wrote: "If you're looking for good yaoi that's you can actually get a hard copy of, I'd recommend ZE, Volume 6..."

Thank you! Checking these and other recs out at my comic shop tomorrow.

What about Yuri? Has anyone heard of some good ones?

message 40: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 471 comments I'm a fountain of weird knowledge. It helps that I'm a a huge fanfic addict. Sadly, fanfics are like my life. (Yay, for Harry Potter crossovers and the Avengers!) :)

Unfortunately, for yuri, I don't know any. I'm really just getting into it and have so far only seen and read a few shojo-ai series.

message 41: by Anna (Bananas!) (new)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Good f/f seems hard to find in all genres for some reason. The boys get more love.

I've only read a little fanfic myself. I'm surprised how much of it there is though.

message 42: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (agonmor) | 35 comments @Anna
If you're really looking for some not-tame-at-all yaoi, I'd totally recommend Junjou Romantica volume 1 by Nakamura Shungiku. This books goes everywhere (and I do mean everywhere)that a yaoi relationship can go and it focuses on three pairings so you get different personalities and points of view.

message 43: by Michelle (last edited Feb 21, 2013 12:26PM) (new)

Michelle I've recently discovered Bara which is male/male relationships where the males are more muscular and have more masculine features (there doesn't seem to be any concept of the "seme/uke" dynamic that typically appears in yaoi). It's also purportedly designed and targeted to men as opposed to women.

The example I found first (and is really one of the best) is Mentaiko. But be warned--he also has depictions of furry, guro and monster-assault. They aren't typically in his comics, but his gallery does have those sections.

For fanfic terms, there's also the (admittedly odd) trend of calling matsurbation a "Lime" and actual sex a "Lemon". I've seen this primarily on places such as FF.net.

There's also "AU!--" which, of course, means Alernate Universe. These can be (and usually are) for anything. High School AUs, Crime AUs, Fantasy AUs. You name it, it probably exists.

There's "Drabble", which is a very short, concise fic (more of a snapshot-scene really).

There are so many terms for fanfic (and it's still constantly evolving as more terms are added, discarded or discovered/invented) that it's pretty much better to just jump in and absorb the language as you go. It's not hard to pick up terms--usually they become apparent once you read the story.

Oh! And female/female relationships are usually referred to as femslash these days. I think it's because "slash" has been pretty monopolized by the male/male fans.

If we're talking about good Yaoi still, I highly recommend Your Love Sickness (Yaoi) by Hayate Kuku, Beyond Scandalous Seiryo University by Kazuto Tatsukawa, Fake, Volume 01 by Sanami Matoh, The Tyrant Falls in Love, Volume 1 by Hinako Takanaga, absolutely anything by Naono Bohra (her English-published books are pretty much limited to Three Wolves Mountain but there are a ton of her other works floating around on the internet), anything by Yoneda Kou (her English-published works include No Touching At All). Finally, you just can't not mention Youka Nitta. She's done Embracing Love, and The Prime Minister's Secret Diplomacy.

message 44: by sweetPixiesmile (last edited Nov 30, 2013 10:52PM) (new)

sweetPixiesmile | 20 comments Michelle wrote: "I've recently discovered Bara which is male/male relationships where the males are more muscular and have more masculine features (there doesn't seem to be any concept of the "seme/uke" dynamic tha..."

I always thought that there was ongoing confusion about Lemon/Lime; it's not so much about fapping as it was used originally to tag Yuri (lemon) and Yaoi (lime) without tipping off censors. Others argue that it had to do with a famous hentai company Creamy Lemon.

A few more terms:

Hentai - sexually explicit content, basically manga porn.

Futanari - typically girls with the dangly bits included. Can either be featured with female parts or not.

Mangaka - Usually the illustrator of a manga, but in Japan, many illustrators are also the author.

Fighting - a genre that focuses on fighting, which includes classics such as Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star and more recently Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Claymore, Fairy Tale and Keiichi:Number One Disciple.

tankoban - usually refers to a self contained story or story arc, but more often refers to a volumization of a serial. There are about 12 types of tankobans.

Slice of Life (SoL) - is a genre that simply talks about the everyday life of it's characters as if IRL. The most famous one I can think of is K-On!

Ecchi - it basically means dirty, although it's more about fanservice such as panty flashing (pantsu) or obviously sexualized character design or innuendo and very questionable situations(no real sex.) Urusei Yatsura Urusei Yatsura is probably the most (in)famous example.

Fanservice - when characterization, drawing style or situations are deliberately done to titillate the target demographic in an obvious and unrefined manner. Usually uses fetish fuel character design.

Fetish Fuel - is a fan term used as a label for any element of a story that serves to titillate the reader's erotic or obsessional sensibilities (heeee I stole that from TVtropes.) They include OL (office lady), glasses (girls who wear them), certain uniforms or clothing (senshifuku, hakama), big bewbs or small bewbs and such.

BL - the shortened term for Boy's Love (bara I guess.) Basically Yaoi, but usually in the context of male slash fanficiton.

Otaku - usually male, but basically anyone who is very obsessed with manga, anime, doujinshi, conventions, cosplay and models. They are similar to the stereotype of nerds in the 80's and 90's. In Japan, it's a derrogatory term.

Fujoshi - the female otaku that also obsesses entirely about BL/Yaoi.

Some of the best Yuri, hmmm... Sailor Moon is probably the best known, if you read the uncensored manga. Girlfriends Girlfriends is quite popular, as is Aoi Hana. Another famous one would be Kannazuki no Miko and Revolutionary Girl Utena Revolutionary Girl Utena but my favourite is Maka Maka Maka Maka.

Some additional fanfiction terms:

Self-insertion - when the author obviously creates a character that is themselves (or actually, literally inserts themselves) into the story.

Mary Sue/Gary Stu - a character that is unbelievably perfect and hyper-competent while being oblivious to her/his obvious attractiveness and always has the right answers and solves all the problems. Named after a protagonist in an infamous Star Trek fanfiction. Usually a sign of self-fulfilling self-insertion.

Dark - a genre of fanfiction that deals with adult and usually disturbing subject matter. Think Pulp Fiction.

Tragedy - a genre of fanfiction that deals with loss, usually of life.

PWP - Plot What Plot; also Porn with Plot. The first is basically porn. The second is excessive sexual content but with an actual plot story that doesn't necessarily hinge on the sex.

EDIT: Shipping - short form of relationship support.

EDIT: Canon - the source material for the fandom.

EDIT: Fanon - certain trends of defining characteristics of a fandom that is so prevalent that it becomes almost the accepted norm of a fandom.

EDIT: Squick - it means to fool a reader, making them think the fiction is about one thing and then pull a bait and switch to something that would either shock, surprise or disgust the reader.

EDIT: Crack pairing - is taking two very outlandish, incompatible or simply unheard of relational pairing. For instance, I once read a crack ship about Dr. Drakken and a potato.

As an aside, the lesbian version of seme/uke (literally top/bottom) is tachi/neko (tachi being the equivalent of butch and neko, literally "cat", being the lipstick). Many Japanese lesbians refer to themselves as "Bians" in an effort to avoid the negative connotations of "Lezzies."

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you.

This helped.

message 46: by Lovekitty (new)

Lovekitty | 2 comments This is very helpful. I'm just getting into manga and anime and this is perfect to look over. Thanks :)