Outlander Series discussion

Archive - Outlander on Starz S1 > All about Outlander STARZ coming 2014!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 2,208) (2208 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 44 45

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkchikk) | 2 comments It's official! Expect the series on STARZ in 2013!

-----------------

Back in July we found out that Ronald D. Moore was developing a TV adaptation of the popular Diana Gabaldon multi-genre book series, Outlander.

Judging by some of you fans of the books’ comments on our previous post, you very much wanted to see the TV series head to HBO or Starz. As it turns out, it’s now been announced that Starz has in fact reached a deal to develop the series, with Moore continuing to develop it and also acting as a writer and executive producer.

Moore is of course best known for developing, executive producing, and sometimes writing the brilliant remake of Battlestar Galactica that aired on Syfy and resulted in piles of awards and acclaim, as well as a highly passionate fanbase.

The Outlander books follow a married World War II combat nurse who finds herself traveling back in time to the year 1743, where she meets many dangers that put her life at risk and ultimately force her to marry into the protection of a Scottish warrior. It hops genres, offering up adventure, romance, sci-fi, historical, and fantasy elements.

The seven-book series has sold over 20 million copies, and an eighth book will be released some time next year. No word yet on when we can expect to see something from the series.

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/11/12...

message 2: by Sally (new)

Sally (larwos) | 30 comments This is great news, although the spin in this announcement, sci fi?, makes me wonder.
I read something about the director being the one who adapted Pillars of the Earth. Is that right?
We don't have Starz in Australia. I hope Foxtel takes it up.

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie (AnnieArgyll) | 334 comments Don't have Starz in the UK either. Hope it can be bought on DVD or get through Netflix.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 143 comments There's a chance one of your pay-for networks might pick it up? Game of Thrones is shown on HBO in the states but it's on other pay-for networks worldwide.

message 5: by Jen (at last!) (last edited Nov 13, 2012 05:26PM) (new)

Jen (at last!) (JenKeith) | 1047 comments I'm sooo excited!!! Time to get STARZ!

The time travel element is what equates sci-fi. Nothing new or surprising there. I think it has a decent chance of pleasing us now that it's been picked up as a tv series.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita Clenney (anitaclenney) | 192 comments Wow, I hadn't heard this. Good news.

message 7: by Sally (new)

Sally (larwos) | 30 comments I hope everyone's right and that its done well. It would be dreadful if it wasn't given the respect it deserves. I was most impressed by the quality of "Pillars of the Earth".

Northern Light (NorrthernLight) | 219 comments Have to hope someone in Britain picks it up. Pillars of the Earth was brilliant and I'm just about to watch it again.

message 9: by Erica (new)

Erica (ButterflyGirl1975) | 99 comments I am really excited. I hope my husband will watch it with me. I think he'd like it!

message 10: by Annie (new)

Annie (AnnieArgyll) | 334 comments Morag wrote: "Have to hope someone in Britain picks it up. Pillars of the Earth was brilliant and I'm just about to watch it again."

I would assume that eventually it would shown in the UK. Maybe on Netflix? We have dumped Sky TV but just might have to get it back if it's the only way to watch this!

message 11: by Nikki (last edited Nov 15, 2012 12:19PM) (new)

Nikki (nikkchikk) | 2 comments In my opinion, film adaptations are never as good as the books but I'm sure it will be entertaining!

Northern Light (NorrthernLight) | 219 comments Annie wrote: "Morag wrote: "Have to hope someone in Britain picks it up. Pillars of the Earth was brilliant and I'm just about to watch it again."

I would assume that eventually it would shown in the UK. Mayb..."

Don't have netflix. No pay TV at all so it could be a long wait.

message 13: by Peggy (new)

Peggy  (PeggyZsutty) | 448 comments Morag wrote: "Annie wrote: "Morag wrote: "Have to hope someone in Britain picks it up. Pillars of the Earth was brilliant and I'm just about to watch it again."

I would assume that eventually it would shown in..."

Morag, same for me but I'm going to start putting money aside so I can eventually buy the DVD :D

message 14: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine Maraj | 2 comments My vote is for Gerard Butler to play Jamie!!!

message 15: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3150 comments Nah, Gerard for Dougal. I think he'd be a perfect Dougal. He's not the right age to play a 23 year old Jamie, I think.

message 16: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments Casting the right Jamie is going to be difficult.

message 17: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3150 comments Totally agreed, hahaha. We all have our different visions.

message 18: by Kristin (last edited Nov 29, 2012 04:27AM) (new)

Kristin (kikitaranto) | 101 comments Carren wrote: "Casting the right Jamie is going to be difficult."

I think they need to cast unknown stars so that way we can grow to love them as their characters. You are right it is going to be difficult to cast Jamie. I always and forever will think of Gerard Butler but realize now that he is too old to play the part of a young Jamie. :(

message 19: by Heather in FL (last edited Nov 29, 2012 05:29AM) (new)

Heather in FL (Heather_FL) Kristin wrote: "Carren wrote: "Casting the right Jamie is going to be difficult."

I think they need to cast unknown stars so that way we can grow to love them as their characters. You are right it is going to be ..."

I absolutely agree. I don't need it to be a big name... just someone who will represent the character of Jamie well. And I'm not sure (in my mind) that there's a big name who can represent the character of Jamie well.

ETA: And Claire! Even she would be difficult to cast I think.

message 20: by Lori McD (new)

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments Was watching a DVR-d version of one of the Bones eps from this Fall... saw a guy who'd make a great Hamish (Dougal's right arm). He was 6'6" or so and 250 lbs plus. Just reminded me of all the great casting possibilities - folks that are more obscure and less well-known that could be in the running for some of these magnificent parts.

BTW, watching PBS's "Upstairs/Downstairs", several of those characters caught my eye, including the main "Hero/Mr" from the Upstairs as a possible Jack Randall. Then again, it's likely these folks are tied up in contracts to PBS and this series. Just another reminder of all the talent that we might now know about and that hopefully the producers will find!

message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina (Observationsofanovice) | 3 comments This is great news! I'm new to the Outlander series (halfway through Voyager) but am so pleased to read this!!!

message 22: by Erica (new)

Erica (ButterflyGirl1975) | 99 comments I would have agreed on the Gerard Butler thing until I saw him in some fan video as Jamie. OMG. Hotness!!!

message 23: by Donna (last edited Dec 23, 2012 06:04PM) (new)

Donna Antaramian (dantaramian) Really? maybe when he wa younger but just saw pictures of him in PLAYING FOR KEEPS he looks awful .. Looks like he has had a few too many Glenlivet shots

message 24: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments I agree. He's just too old to play Jamie. Perhaps if they had made the movie, 10-15 years ago, he could've done it. But not now.

message 25: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3150 comments I'd still like him in it. He'd make a good Dougal. He won't do a Starz show though.

message 26: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments The fact of the matter is that whomever they cast as Jamie (or Claire for that matter) will have to be someome slightly unknown. The "A" list or even "B" list stars wouldn't do something like this, unless the script is outstanding, and unfortunately, the money has to be right.

message 27: by Annie (new)

Annie (AnnieArgyll) | 334 comments Carren wrote: "The fact of the matter is that whomever they cast as Jamie (or Claire for that matter) will have to be someome slightly unknown. The "A" list or even "B" list stars wouldn't do something like this,..."

Agree. Needs to be an unknown. We don't get Starz here...not sure what kind of channel it is?

message 28: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (Heather_FL) It's like HBO and Cinemax.

message 29: by Shella (new)

Shella (Shellala) | 7 comments 2013 is going to be amazing!!! It does seem unlikely that it will be on the air so quickly....I REALLY hope I wrong about that though :)
As far as casting goes, I hope they go for unknown actors that really reflect the characters.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan Davenport (toastnstuff) | 1 comments Yaaaaayyyy! I really wanted a Game of Thrones type series instead of a buncha' overdone movies with no room for plot development. Adding Starz to my lineup as soon as I get dates!

message 31: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 3 comments I think Jamie should be played by Shrek!

message 32: by Erica (new)

Erica (ButterflyGirl1975) | 99 comments Erica wrote: "I would have agreed on the Gerard Butler thing until I saw him in some fan video as Jamie. OMG. Hotness!!!"

Well, I retract this original statement. After doing a little poking around, I figured out that the fan video I saw Gerry Butler in features clips from Attila which was filmed in 2001. 11 years ago. There is NO WAY that he could play Jamie. He's just too old. Now, would he be a good Jamie later? Possibly. But definitely not for Outlander and DIA.

message 33: by Lori McD (new)

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments Has anyone heard anything about casting? I'd think that if this series has a chance of airing on Starz in Fall of 2013 that it'd have to be close to being in production SOON! Do you think they're keeping it secret until the last possible minute to avoid screaming fans yelling about their casting choices?

Game of Thrones films mostly in Northern Ireland... hope that Outlander can film in Scotland - at least some of the time.

message 34: by Peggy (new)

Peggy  (PeggyZsutty) | 448 comments Lori McD wrote: "Has anyone heard anything about casting? I'd think that if this series has a chance of airing on Starz in Fall of 2013 that it'd have to be close to being in production SOON! Do you think they're k..."

Lori, I haven't been looking online for the casting of Outlander but it does seem strange that it's been so quiet on that news front. Maybe you're right since when it was first announced, there was a flurry of opinions posted online and I'm sure there will be some who will be unhappy no matter who is cast. In fact even though I know that I'll eventually purchae the DVD, I would prefer to keep my own images in my head while I read the books! :D

message 35: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1117 comments the post in the introduction didn't actually give a date of airing - there have been no updates that I can find since November when it was announced - even IMDB doesn't have anything yet

message 36: by Lori McD (new)

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments Poor Diana G! She's obviously getting besieged with questions about this, too...

Here's here Facebook reply (probably also posted on her web site): https://www.facebook.com/AuthorDianaG...

So... while it's in development, nothing solid. I was sure I'd heard a Fall 2013 date, but likely an entertainment reporter speculating.

Fine with me! I'd rather get book 8 first, and then see the Starz cable series, if it ever gets that far. Since Diana G met Ron and obviously likes him and feels that he'll do a good job, we'll just have to trust - like with Game of Thrones, right?

message 37: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (Heather_FL) This made me lol:

"iii. There is no casting call at present.

a. If there was one, I’d have nothing to do with it.

b. Please stop sending me pictures of your male relatives that you think look like Jamie.

c. Please stop sending me photos of yourself, even if you’re _sure_ you look just like Claire.

d. _Really_ stop sending me photos of that grotesque Irish wrestler with the clown hair."

message 38: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (JenKeith) | 1047 comments Heather in FL wrote: "This made me lol:

"iii. There is no casting call at present.

a. If there was one, I’d have nothing to do with it.

b. Please stop sending me pictures of your male relatives that you think look l..."

Oh my gosh! Why are people so unaware of boundaries? lol

message 39: by Donna (new)

Donna Callea | 9 comments Starz is very smart to develop this. Can you imagine how many new subscribers they'll get when they finally announce a tentative date for the premiere. I agree that it will probably take a while. But what fun to see who they cast. Can't wait!

message 40: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (JenKeith) | 1047 comments Just read this! It's very promising!!

http://m.deadline.com/2013/04/ron-moo...

the other courtney | 162 comments Cool - thanks for sharing! I was holding out hope that HBO would do something someday, seeing what they've done with Game of Thrones (which is simply stunning), but I'll take it!

message 42: by Lori McD (new)

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments Nice, nice, nice! I didn't never watched the updated Battlestar Galactica, but I know that its fans were major followers and very loyal.

Hoping for good things!

message 43: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3150 comments That's wonderful!!

message 44: by Lori (new)

Lori (loricakes) Does it worry anyone else that it says "no greenlight yet"????

message 45: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments I'll believe all of this when I see it on Starz.

message 46: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (JenKeith) | 1047 comments Yeah, the no green light yet is a bit worrisome, but they'd be idiots not to!!!

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1117 comments I don't know how it goes, but since they are hiring on people to write scripts, I would think it is just another phase in the progress, but that a green light isn't until it starts filming

message 48: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (JenKeith) | 1047 comments From what I understand "green-light" means there's official financial backing. It's literally a "go" for filming. I'd think having writers working on a script would make it easier to pitch in order to get the green light.

message 49: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1117 comments that's what i was trying to say...apparently brain not quite working...hehe

message 50: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (JenKeith) | 1047 comments teamwork, Dee!! :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 44 45

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Outlander (other topics)
Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade (other topics)
The Fiery Cross (other topics)
Voyager (other topics)