Israel SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

December Book Club

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nimrod (last edited Nov 14, 2012 12:33AM) (new)

Nimrod Daniel (NimrodDaniel) | 314 comments Mod
Hello everybody.

I thought about having a book club for december. Are you interested in another book club?

I have some suggestion for books:

Kill Decision by Daniel Suarez - looks like an interesting techno-thriller.

The Red Knight by Miles Cameron - It's a first book out of a new trilogy. In this case I'd be willing to break my "don't read a series before it's fully completed" rule. It looks like a very promising book, but take in a consideration that it's a ~700 pages book, it's hardcover version is huge so it's only sum up to 350 pages in that version, so it might be a bit heavy for a book club.

Have more suggestions?

message 2: by Tzippy (new)

Tzippy (trempnvt) | 28 comments How about Elemental? It's not released until next week, but it looks good.

message 3: by Nimrod (last edited Nov 14, 2012 12:31AM) (new)

I think that everything goes. We'll need about 5-7 books before we can start voting, so I hope more members will come up with suggestions.

message 4: by Tzippy (new)

Tzippy (trempnvt) | 28 comments Should books that were suggested in previous months be automatically added to the list?

message 5: by Nimrod (last edited Nov 14, 2012 12:37AM) (new)

Of course (but I guess not all of them), especially if the book had some votes but eventually didn't win.

message 6: by Esther (last edited Nov 14, 2012 03:05PM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 218 comments Mod
Nimrod we were actually thinking of doing something different for the next few months.

For December in particular we are going to have a discussion of The Hobbit to coincide with the film's release.

I will be send out a group letter at the end of the week with all the details.

If you want to lead a book discussion on a different book that is fine but you will need to contact one of us mods to create a poll and/or make a group announcement.

message 7: by Nimrod (last edited Nov 16, 2012 01:03AM) (new)

It could be a good idea to have a discussion about the The Hobbit, that coincide with the film's release. Anyways, If we already have a book for next month so it could be redundant to have another book discussion (even with one book we had just a few participated).

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

May I suggest:
Among Others by Jo Walton
Among Others
I really liked it, and I believe others will as well.

message 9: by Nimrod (last edited Dec 22, 2012 08:51AM) (new)

How about nominating books for our next book club (after reading the hobbit)? aiming for "5 stars books" and hopefully we'll have alive and kicking discussion thread.

message 10: by Esther (new)

Sounds good to me. I'll open a January nominations thread and you kick things off Nimrod?
Should there be any limitations? Language, paperback, new/classic?

message 11: by Nimrod (last edited Dec 25, 2012 04:41AM) (new)

OK, open the thread, and I'll take it from that point.

As far as I remember, some members here asked that the book will be available on kindle and paperback (and not just hardcover).

message 12: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 64 comments A classic (SFF of course) might be a good idea. I know we just did The Hobbit but maybe something more advanced or maybe a SF classic.
We could have a preliminary poll for classic VS modern.

message 13: by Nimrod (new)

You can nominate any book you'd like to, so if you want a classic book just nominate one (or more).

message 14: by Esther (new)

Nimrod wrote: "As far as I remember, some members here asked that the book will be available on kindle and paperback (and not just hardcover)."

That sounds good. I will leave it to you Nimrod to state the 'rules' and guidelines for the January nominations.